Garda standards in free fall

Harassment of a specific pub as suggested would be easily resolved through informal or formal complaint.

or a free pint when he/she flashed the badge.

In my single days my friend a garda and I used to get into night clubs all the time for nothing with her just flashing the badge and saying "she forgot hers" implying i was a garda also.
only for i was there i would not have believed it - TJ&TJ are often bang on, unfortunately.

Rainyday - the stories I told were true. In the case of the Garda arriving everynight at closing time, I was there when it happened but I might be incorrect about the exact time as I forget when closing time was then. As for making a complaint, nowadays one would but in those days you'd only be looking for more trouble. Anyway, technically he wasn't doing anything other than his job so how could you complain. He was obviously on a power trip. In Donegal the same thing happened with the 'nightclub' owner as far as I know and his complaints didn't get very far did they?

Re the young Garda posted back to his home place, it was a city so I guess that's why it happened, most Garda are located in urban areas I assume. I know other Garda who are from close by the city and also posted to the city.

Anyway, technically he wasn't doing anything other than his job so how could you complain. He was obviously on a power trip.

So whats your problem? The gardai are getting criticised on this thread for falling standards and rightly so in some cases and then get criticised for doing their job by you. If you were in the pub after hours or on Xmas day, you deserved to get kicked out. Don't blame the guard, blame the law. I don't see the falling standards there.

Re the young Garda posted back to his home place, it was a city so I guess that's why it happened, most Garda are located in urban areas I assume. I know other Garda who are from close by the city and also posted to the city.

Mmmm - Funny how you specifically mentioned 'home town' in the original post but now it turns out it was in the city. For the record, the Garda policy of not posting people back to their home turf applies to areas of the city, just as it applies to towns.

Mmmm - Funny how you specifically mentioned 'home town' in the original post but now it turns out it was in the city. For the record, the Garda policy of not posting people back to their home turf applies to areas of the city, just as it applies to towns.

no offence Rainy but i reckon this is "all who you know" in the gardai and that you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

To me a trainee guard, say based in balbriggan and from Tallagh is hardly out of his home town - sure he could easily have his uniform on heading home to Mammy after a few long day shifts,or even each evening - whats the travel an hour?

no offence Rainy but i reckon this is "all who you know" in the gardai and that you are being argumentative for the sake of it.
Feel free to attack my post, but don't attack me personally.

To me a trainee guard, say based in balbriggan and from Tallagh is hardly out of his home town - sure he could easily have his uniform on heading home to Mammy after a few long day shifts,or even each evening - whats the travel an hour?
What's the chances that he would find all his friends/neighbours/family from Tallaght in a pub in Balbriggan on Xmas day, which is the scenario that Aileen2 described?

not an attack just observation.
AFAIK you get good guards and bad ones. i know bad ones who use the badge to demonstrate their "powers" - (a term used as standard in the force at present- like hello:eek: ). I personnally have sat in pubs afterhours with gardai with the air of "he'd know better than to refuse me". thats the attitude that Aileen is explaining in her post - if you don't believe it then fine.

Like any occupation your going to get bad apples that taint your experience. I have come across a few "selct members" of the force who, I honestly believe, thought they were in fact Wyatt Earp himself, sent through time from the old west to clean up our wild country of expired tax discs and bald tyres. On the other side it is a difficult job at times; a few of my friends are members and have told us a few disgusting stories of what can only be described as degenerates they had to deal with. Sometimes they can be an easy target for unfair criticism.

The story is true as my husband was in the pub on Xmas day when it happened. Yes I know it's illegal but I only told that story as I actually thought it was amusing. It wasn't a criticism of the young garda. More about his naivety than anything. I don't want to too closely identify it obviously but there are parts of Ireland that were once a town and are now cities. The Tallaght/ Balbriggan scenario is a good comparison. The people in the pub were all basically from the same area, this I know is unlikely to happen in Dublin but it does happen in other parts. You go to a certain pub coz you know who'll be there scenario. I'm not talking those new mega pubs, more your family local and those that were let in were regulars. Furthermore would you believe me if I told you a Garda station was 1 street away and that the gardai often used to drink there themselves (not on that Xmas day).

Sunny you have deliberately mixed up my 2 scenarios. The garda coming every night to the pub was in a completely different (remote) part of Ireland. He only came to that pub and not the other pubs in the area. This in my view was harassment, he wasn't just doing his job otherwise he would have done the same to the other pubs and that would be a level playing field.

Incidentally in relation to the licensing laws I find that west of the Shannon has traditionally had a history of after hours into the small hours while east of Heuston is the opposite. Don't know about North but the South is also more easy going.

Don't know about North but the South is also more easy going.

Not easygoing in Cork City where we were put out of the pub at 2 am and had nowhere to go. Not even a club to go to. Everywhere in Cork shuts down at 2 am.

Sunny - I'll not comment on specific places in Ireland, you have to know where to go ....... What's with 2 am, I though Irish pubs closed at 11 or 12 - what are the licencing laws now?

I will never forget being on 3 day honeymoon in Dublin (all we could afford - in the days when you paid with savings for your wedding etc and didn't borrow it on the credit card - didn't have credit card come to think of it) and getting a drink, literally 1 second later, lights on, bell ringing, tables up and out on the street, mega shock, spent 2 hours in thin clothes in the snow trying to get a taxi. Being a culchie didn't know you couldn't get a taxi did I. Had an aversion to Dublin ever since ! ! !

Now that I've had to get up EVERY Sat and Sun for 5 years I try to be in bed by midnight at the weekend - sad I know. Coincidentally I live somewhere where the Irish pub closes when the metros start at 6 am and you can buy beer in McD and every corner shop for that matter .......

Walking along the footpath last night and a garda car pulled up beside me at the lights - passenger cop smoking away - am i right in thinking this is illegal? Smoking in the workplace? Anyways, i had a moments thought to take a quick snap with the camera phone. Probably still be in the cell if i'd done that!!

Walking along the footpath last night and a garda car pulled up beside me at the lights - passenger cop smoking away - am i right in thinking this is illegal? Smoking in the workplace? Anyways, i had a moments thought to take a quick snap with the camera phone. Probably still be in the cell if i'd done that!!

I doubt you'd be in a cell (I know, you were joking)..............but what would you have gained from it?

I doubt you'd be in a cell (I know, you were joking)..............but what would you have gained from it?
what does anyone gain from seeing someone smoking in the workplace and reporting it as breaking the law? - Irish mentality alive and kicking.
Gardai are supposed to uphold the laws and their behaviour aught to be an example to us in how to be good citizens.
Again i am getting TJ&TJ flashback " wha r youse lookin at - i'll give ya somtin to report so i will...."

I dunno but i just think it was a poor show, thats all. Thats what the OP was refering to way back at the start i guess.

what does anyone gain from seeing someone smoking in the workplace and reporting it as breaking the law? - Irish mentality alive and kicking.
Gardai are supposed to uphold the laws and their behaviour aught to be an example to us in how to be good citizens.
Again i am getting TJ&TJ flashback " wha r youse lookin at - i'll give ya somtin to report so i will...."

The big reason I can see is the dangers of passive smoking which are well documented.

If I was on the top deck of a bus and someone started smoking next to me . I would find that highly annoying but thats just me.
The Irish mentality of not complaining needs to change.

Back