GAA-GO Where we don't belong

The people who pay their TV licence every year . People don't pay it to watch fair city and the late late show , ok some do but not all. People pay it to see all kinds of programmes GAA included.
I never watch Fair City or most of the garbage RTE produce but I certainly don't pay my TV Licence to watch even more GAA matches.
I pay it to watch the ill informed badly researched left-wing populist emotive whining that passes for their current affairs programming.

That and the Angelus.

The GAA is providing an option for people to watch all of the matches that would otherwise not be televised and people expect them to do it for free...

Good for you . Our TV licence allows us to watch Champions League games on Virgin media without having to pay anything extra.
As far as I am concerned the GAA are a money, money , money organisation and this is just another money making scheme ...

Good for you . Our TV licence allows us to watch Champions League games on Virgin media without having to pay anything extra.
As far as I am concerned the GAA are a money, money , money organisation and this is just another money making scheme ...
Show me a sporting organisation that doesn't seek to maximise their income?

Virgin Media pay very handsomely for that coverage. They had the option of bidding for extended GAA coverage but turned it down. Virgin Media are in it for the money, they'll show whatever pulls in the most viewers as that's what attracts greater advertising revenue. Turns out that even though it costs a more per game, Champions League coverage brings in a lot more revenue than most GAA games.

Without money the whole thing crumbles. Most county team budgets are north of a million a year, with some approaching €2M. The 2021 accounts show the GAA distributing almost €16M to the counties, with most of that making it's way to the clubs.

I would rather RTE spend the money showing my local rugby team and other Irish rugby teams in the URC instead of having most of the matches shown in a language I can't understand. I'd also like them to show Irish teams in the European Champions Cup instead of showing English soccer teams in the Champions League but more Irish people are interested in supporting teams from their former colonial masters than local teams. So that's what RTE pay for.

I didn't realize you can't understand English :oops:. English Soccer,or football as they call it , is the most popular sport in Ireland , whether you,or I , like it or not. If RTE want to pay for that fine with me. At least many people can look at something they like.. while paying for it with their license fee....

I would rather RTE spend the money showing my local rugby team and other Irish rugby teams in the URC instead of having most of the matches shown in a language I can't understand. I'd also like them to show Irish teams in the European Champions Cup instead of showing English soccer teams in the Champions League but more Irish people are interested in supporting teams from their former colonial masters than local teams. So that's what RTE pay for.
1. I don't care if the commentary is in Urdu or Greek and am pleased that RTE, TG4, Virgin show so much rugby. It was only when I left secondary school (to work in the UK) that I learnt to appreciate the Irish language and took lessons in Bedfordshire from an Irish native speaker where I discovered that school Irish and Irish as spoken in Gaeltacht areas is not one and same. I became an instant fan and after I returned to Ireland I took more classes and visited Gaeltacht areas more. Unlike some, I never shoved the language down anybody's throat and spoke Irish only when I knew the other enjoyed speaking the language too. If Peig Sayers had died in her infancy my passage through secondary school would have been much more pleasant.
2. Hurling is holding it's own in say Kilkenny, but in every other county it is dying a slow death. Even in Cork hurling is trying to breathe with competition from rugby, association football, tennis, etc. Gaelic football in Cork is nearly as dead as hurling in Donegal. Wake up and smell the coffee our Gaelic games are not getting stronger they are decreasing in popularity despite what some say. OK it is thriving in pockets but the bottom line is that generally it is dying slowly. Last week while visiting the local bottle bank a lady stopped and asked me directions to Cork Constitution rugby complex - she drove from north county Cork passing several rugby clubs on her way to ensure her sons played rugby in an influential rugby setting. I'd have had some difficulty in advising her to have her sons play hurling - at least she would have saved on petrol.
3. In the next generation hurling will be reduced to a huge minority sport if things don't change. The GAA is doing its best to kill the game and succeeding. Pay per view is doing hurling no favours.

I didn't realize you can't understand English :oops:.
How did you only realise that now? Have you not read any of my posts?

Many of the URC matches are shown on Galway TV (TG4). I'm dyslexic (and probably somewhere on the autism scale) so I don't speak Irish.

English Soccer,or football as they call it , is the most popular sport in Ireland , whether you,or I , like it or not.
Absolutely. Many Irish people are still very aligned to their former English masters. The fact that they read English newspapers, watch English TV and say "We" and "Us" when talking about English football teams shown just how culturally English they are.
If RTE want to pay for that fine with me. At least many people can look at something they like.. while paying for it with their license fee....
Or they could watch it on UK TV, though Virgin TV is really just ITV with a bit of tabloid "Oirish" content thrown in.

Vv
1. I don't care if the commentary is in Urdu or Greek and am pleased that RTE, TG4, Virgin show so much rugby. It was only when I left secondary school (to work in the UK) that I learnt to appreciate the Irish language and took lessons in Bedfordshire from an Irish native speaker where I discovered that school Irish and Irish as spoken in Gaeltacht areas is not one and same. I became an instant fan and after I returned to Ireland I took more classes and visited Gaeltacht areas more. Unlike some, I never shoved the language down anybody's throat and spoke Irish only when I knew the other enjoyed speaking the language too. If Peig Sayers had died in her infancy my passage through secondary school would have been much more pleasant.
2. Hurling is holding it's own in say Kilkenny, but in every other county it is dying a slow death. Even in Cork hurling is trying to breathe with competition from rugby, association football, tennis, etc. Gaelic football in Cork is nearly as dead as hurling in Donegal. Wake up and smell the coffee our Gaelic games are not getting stronger they are decreasing in popularity despite what some say. OK it is thriving in pockets but the bottom line is that generally it is dying slowly. Last week while visiting the local bottle bank a lady stopped and asked me directions to Cork Constitution rugby complex - she drove from north county Cork passing several rugby clubs on her way to ensure her sons played rugby in an influential rugby setting. I'd have had some difficulty in advising her to have her sons play hurling - at least she would have saved on petrol.
3. In the next generation hurling will be reduced to a huge minority sport if things don't change. The GAA is doing its best to kill the game and succeeding. Pay per view is doing hurling no favours.
I'm not quite sure what you're basing this assessment on. While I'm not from a traditional hurling county, I don't see evidence of this. In fact, it's the opposite. You see a lot more kids going around with hurls and helmets now (in Dublin for instance) than you would have 40 years ago when it was virtually unknown.
Yes, there's ups and downs in different counties - Cork are in a prolonged draught, Offaly (largely through mismanagement) have fallen from the dizzy heights of the 90s but then again, Limerick, Waterford and Galway have improved. Tipp, Clare, Kilkenny are consistently competitive at the top table. It's cyclical and the wheel will continue to turn. The so-called weaker counties are where they always were, some perpetually threatening a breakthrough, some struggling. Even a strong football county like Kerry has hurling making inroads into the big population centres of Killarney and Tralee.
Camogie, too, has increased hugely in popularity throughout the country. Every summer, Cúl camps are oversubscribed (and great value btw) and kids are loving it.

As for the competition, rugby has a following but it's roots are shallow and by and large limited to a small coterie of fee-charging schools. FAI management has run the domestic game into the ground despite the huge advantage it has from being the world's most popular game.

Hurling isn't dead yet! It's survived greater challenges than PPV.

It would be hard to watch the two Munster SHC games yesterday and conclude that hurling was doing anything but thriving mightily. Kudos to all four counties for serving up magnificent fare.

??

I understand that some Autistic people are non-verbal but its news to me that this is language specific.
Every day's a school day. You've misunderstood my post. When you're dyslexic it's usually harder to learn a second language. That's why there is an Irish language and foreign exemption for dyslexic children doing State exams. It's nothing to do with whether someone is verbal or not. The Autism spectrum doesn't go from mild to severe, it's a spectrum of different issues and symptoms. Those issues and symptoms may vary from mild to severe.

No, Offaly had a 2nd string team out on Saturday last and had nothing to play for whereas it was win or bust for Carlow
Great game today and a great result for Carlow .....hard luck to Offaly in a nail biting finish.....it seems.

Great game today and a great result for Carlow .....hard luck to Offaly in a nail biting finish.....it seems.
Didn't see all of it but it was a good game. You could see the benefit a few of the Carlow lads have from playing Fitzgibbon with SETU Carlow. Given the lack of numbers in Carlow, that may be the way forward for them in the future, get 3 or 4 lads onto the SETU team every year and the benefit of playing and training on that level. They don't have the numbers to be competitive at under age level although good to see a few from Carlow town on the under age panels this year

Didn't see all of it but it was a good game. You could see the benefit a few of the Carlow lads have from playing Fitzgibbon with SETU Carlow. Given the lack of numbers in Carlow, that may be the way forward for them in the future, get 3 or 4 lads onto the SETU team every year and the benefit of playing and training on that level. They don't have the numbers to be competitive at under age level although good to see a few from Carlow town on the under age panels this year
That's right. The County is small and they haven't enough hurling teams to pick from to always be consistent. They have a good squad at present so it's been a good year. Unfortunately we will never be a constant threat to Offaly or Laois and traditional hurling counties.
It's been a great year though.
What great games there was this weekend though. Only a puck of a ball between any of them. Hurling is a great sport.

Back