GAA-GO Where we don't belong

That's fair enough. I'm just saying for the other games, I think there's a role for something like GAA-Go. For Mayo fans in Dublin who can't get back for a semi-final etc. Or where there's more than 1 game going on at same time.
I agree with most of what you say but I for one do not agree with GAA-Go , in any capacity, there should be no such thing , in my opinion.

I agree with most of what you say but I for one do not agree with GAA-Go , in any capacity, there should be no such thing , in my opinion.
Well, just be aware that means some games won't be able to view without a GAA-Go or something like it. There's no free to air broadcaster that will commit to airing every game, it wouldn't even be possible given that there are simultaneous games on.

Cork hurling at club level is flying, especially with the reorganisation and the additional grades, there were bigger attendances at some club matches last year then many counties got at intercounty level. Over 15000 at the county senior final last year. As an example, Midleton are building 3 new pitches to cope with demand. Lots of success at underage intercounty and it will come good in the seniors sooner rather then later.

Offaly are also on the road back, both at underage level and senior level but still have a long way to go. They'll win the Joe Mc this year as I can't see Carlow or Laois stopping them.

The longer term dark horse to watch for is Kildare, driven by what is happening in Naas.
Do you still think that Carlow won't stop Offaly winning the Joe Mc this year .,...

The alternative is most of those games not being broadcast at all. My father is too old to go to games now, he's a huge fan of GAAGO.

The issue isn't just GAAGO and the streaming which I admit isn't ideal in a country not known for rural broadband. The issue is the GAA have entered into a partnership with RTE on this. So basically they get to pick what games outside what they are contractually obliged to show go free to air and what goes on subscription.

We have seen in the hurling and we see it next week in the football that there is no doubt that they are picking games that they know will be popular to put behind a pay wall. RTE should not be involved. There is no excuse to not showing a game on a Saturday evening. There are enough channels including rte news to broadcast it on.

A side issue is that RTE player is probably the worst streaming service in the world. And yet they get a contract to stream live sport.....but why not just stream the games on player that people already payfor through their licence fee?? This was just a revenue making exercise for GAA and RTE and if players have any sense, they will demand sizable % of it....

No, Offaly had a 2nd string team out on Saturday last and had nothing to play for whereas it was win or bust for Carlow
In a two 'horse' race you would never know ....stranger things have happened.
But give us a little credit for the win.

The alternative is most of those games not being broadcast at all. My father is too old to go to games now, he's a huge fan of GAAGO.
I can understand your father's positionband I'm glad he can see the games but broadband is a problem in a lot of areas still and the people in these areas can only see the highlights...not good enough , in my opinion.

I can understand your father's positionband I'm glad he can see the games but broadband is a problem in a lot of areas still and the people in these areas can only see the highlights...not good enough , in my opinion.
So the solution is no one gets to see them?

There's a simple solution here, folks. Why not give everyone who's a paying member of their local GAA club a bonus subscription to GAAGO? You will increase membership and the money will automatically flow to local level.

You will increase membership and the money will automatically flow to local level.
That would work, but membership costs would likely have to increase to cover GAAGOs increased costs and cover the GAA's lost dividend payments. Would you need a centralised GAA club membership solution and would everyone be happy with GAA clubs passing on their personal details of all members to a private company?

That would work, but membership costs would likely have to increase to cover GAAGOs increased costs and cover the GAA's lost dividend payments. Would you need a centralised GAA club membership solution and would everyone be happy with GAA clubs passing on their personal details of all members to a private company?
All easily solvable. Make it optional - tick a box if you want GAAGO access. Membership will increase - I would think - and the extra revenue should fund GAAGO increased costs. Lots of clubs already have opt-in extra sub that goes to a weekly lotto. GAA HQ doesn't need an increased dividend revenue stream. In fact last thing it needs is a top-heavy management superstructure.

So it is down to membership and cost increases , as usual. Most of us pay a license fee , which isn't too cheap by the way, so that should be enough for the armchair viewer in particular to pay to see matches on TV plus the genuine GAA fans who cannot get to games , for one reason or another.

The people who pay their TV licence every year . People don't pay it to watch fair city and the late late show , ok some do but not all. People pay it to see all kinds of programmes GAA included.

The people who pay their TV licence every year . People don't pay it to watch fair city and the late late show , ok some do but not all. People pay it to see all kinds of programmes GAA included.
And they're all happy to stump up an increased fee to cover increased broadcasting costs? And they're happy that there's more GAA coverage and less of everything else on TV?

Back