FYI : Rabo email from New Zealeand

Squonk

FYI I got an email yesterday from Rabdirect in New Zealand! Note my only affilitation with New Zealand is that I've seen the Lord of The Ring movies.
I just got another one from Rabodirect.ie today to apologise (see below). It's good to see my email details are being spread across the Rabo banking world!:

"Yesterday you received an ezine called Active Money. Sorry, you shouldn't have received this as it was intended for the customers of RaboPlus our sister Rabobank company in New Zealand.
We are really sorry for the confusion and inconvenience that this may have caused.
We would like to assure you that this is not a phishing email and does not pose any security threat. Your personal data has not been provided to any party in New Zealand.

Rest assured that we have thoroughly investigated the problem and taken necessary steps to make sure that you won't get any more emails intended for our Kiwi customers.
Regards,
The very embarrassed RaboDirect team."

got the RaboPlus mail, but not the apology.

Meets this definition of spam: 'To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities.'

This behaviour from Rabobank increases the vulnerability of consumers to phishing. If banks are spamming customers, people may have to click on emails to check if they are genuine or not.

I am getting lots of spam purporting to come from Bank of Ireland at the moment.

Would it be possible that this is spam and not coming from Rabobank.

I will draw this to the attention of the Financial Regulator and it might be no harm if some others of you did too.

Brendan

As Rabo is likely to be supporting both Ireland and NZ operations with the same systems it's a significant mistake ...wonder what the role the Regulator has here as Rabdirect is regulated by the Dutch National Bank.

I notice that Rabodirect have a security alert warning of a false site

Riddler

I also got said e mails from rabo but also got one which addressed me as "Hi Lawrence" which is not my name......whats going on there

I also got said e mails from rabo but also got one which addressed me as "Hi Lawrence" which is not my name......whats going on there
Now that's scary!....Rabo will be getting people's bank account details mixed up next.

On Wenesday August 30th subscribers to the RaboDirect ezine received the "Active Money" ezine intended for customers of RaboDirect's New Zealand sister bank, RaboPlus.co.nz. A number of controls are put in place to ensure that the correct ezine is sent to the right group however human error combined with some technical issues with our email management system resulted in Irish subscribers receiving the incorrect ezine. We sent an apology to our affected subscribers on Thursday August 31st. Unfortunately some people received a second "Active Money" ezine a number of hours later which was due to the original technical problem. We unreservedly apologise for this.

We have suspended all further ezines and eflashes at this time and a thorough investigation that commenced on Wednesday night is continuing over the weekend. The email addresses of subscribers to RaboDirect's ezine have not been provided to any third party in New Zealand and all email addresses our quite safe. There is of course no impact on the banking system. We fully appreciate that some people will be understandably frustrated and annoyed with RaboDirect at this time and thank our subscribers for their patience. As a team we are hugely disappointed to have fallen below the high standards we have set ourselves.

Please also be aware that RaboDirect has implemented very high levels of online security through our Digipass system. RaboDirect's customers use a security token with a PIN code to access their secure accounts and also use the Digipass token to authenticate transactions. This system (based on what is known as 'two-factor authentication') makes phishing virtually impossible. RaboDirect is the only bank in Ireland to provide its customers with a 100% No-Fraud Online Guarantee. For more information on RaboDirect's security policy please see [broken link removed]

Regarding RaboDirect's regulation - our primary regulator is the Dutch Central Bank. Our products are registered for sale in Ireland and we follow the codes of conduct and practice of the Financial Regulator in Ireland.

Regards,
RaboDirect

The email addresses of subscribers to RaboDirect's ezine have not been provided to any third party in New Zealand and all email addresses our quite safe.
It would be nice if some independent third party could verify this claim.

Am I the only one that thinks that the comments here can get entirely cynical.

Rabo made a mistake... and quickly and unreservedly apologised for it.

I would be much happier if my day to day bank had the same account secrity as Rabo does !!

You're entitled to your opinion. I personally don't think that being concerned about privacy is in any way cynical myself.

in fairness..the girl on the front of the rabo newzealand email was a babe..why cant they put her on the emails they send to their Irish customers!.......not fair!:D

I also got the Rabo emails and am not a customer!! This happens all the time. I try to 'unsubscribe' but it won't let me!!

Did you ever sign up for emails from them? You should contact them directly to get them to removed from their mailing lists. Unsolicited email and not being able to unsubscribe is unacceptable.

I have no recollection of ever signing up for them! They just sent me a PM telling me the way to unsubscribe. Apparently the same email address that you subscribed from has to be used and 'as many people now have more than one email address...' (para phrasing). I think they are assuming I forgot which email address I subscribed from!! In fact, I have only one email address and have not changed it for years.

Still, they were pretty on the ball to PM me and that's appreciated.

Back