FYI - Health & Remote Working Expenses require an uploaded receipt from 2021 onwards

Might it be that when you file an end of year return - be it hard copy or online - you sign something legally acknowledging that it is a true statement of your income and tax situation, whereas if you apply for the real time credit I don't think that you give the same legal commitment?
Of course you do.

@Shirazman, if you refer to the legislation concerning each personal relief, you will see that they may be granted to “an individual who proves” that s/he is entitled to whatever s/he is claiming.

For instance, in the case of health expenses, TCA 1997 s 469:

(2) (a) Subject to this section, where an individual for a year of assessment proves that in the year of assessment he or she defrayed health expenses incurred for the provision of health care for any one qualified person and the amount of which in the aggregate exceeds £100, the individual shall be entitled, for the purpose of ascertaining the amount of the income on which he or she is to be charged to income tax, to have a deduction of the amount of the excess made from his or her total income.

We can see that the legislation does not limit the obligation to "prove" to Tax Returns or to end-of-year claims. Rather it applies unilaterally to any claim regardless of when or how it is made.

Last edited:
1.Does this mean in order to claim health expenses against Income Tax one must spend over £100/€127 in a tax year?

2. For ROS self-assessed taxpayers is it mandatory or discretionary in 2021 to upload health expense receipts?

3. Can other tax deductible expenses receipts be uploaded to Revenue website e.g. receipts for repairs, service charges etc on rental income.

I'm quite good at filing receipts and back- up documentation but I worry about dampness etc after protracted storage.

If you don’t upload your receipts then you will have to keep them for 6 years as Revenue has rights to ask for that, it’s much easier to upload them online.

After reading original posts last November I phoned Revenue and was informed that if I waited until January and made my annual return as normal I did not have to scan any receipts. I did this claimed medical expenses less annual claim from my medical insurance and had repayment in a few days .This is just a facility for storing receipts on line and confused people .

Back