FTA Satellite from Lidl

Betsy Og...God in fairness, thats surely a female!

And for Jenny_H above:"Are there adult channels available on this dish or on other non Sky dishes on sale in Ireland?If yes, how can they be blocked? Wouldn't want the little Hs watching unsuitable material."

Thats sounds well dodgy...come on out and be honest and say you want to know it so you can tune them in yourself!!!!!! A bit like those conversations from people when they invent a 'friend' when talking about themselves!!!!!!

legend99 said:
Betsy Og...God in fairness, thats surely a female!

Infacta, I is a geezer. (and No, I'm not like yer man in the ad, standing on the train platform with the plackard that says "At weekends my name is Louise" - another good word for you, also unrelated to my hetrosexual & married status, Brendan Behan describing his sexuality... "ambisextrous" !! :D )

God, in fairness, when was the last time you heard of a girl called Betsy :)

Betsy was the name of a packpacker car, '84 Ford Falcon Estate, 6 cylinder, 3.5L, a beast of a yoke that somehow had personality (i.e. it had moods when the mechanics got a bit wobbly but then seemed to fix themselves), which did something like 19,000 km over the space of a couple of months around Australia. Therefore it was a workhorse, and of course Betsy is a workhorses name.

Subsequent cars have occasionally been called Betsy Mor, Betsy Beag and of course Betsy Og.

I'm kinda going off the Lidl dish idea now.

What I want is a yoke that will give me as many of the UK channels as poss. I have a special gra for BBC (particularly BBC2) and Channel4 but don't mind after that. I would prefer to pay up front now and not go on subscription. Himself would probably like to be able to watch Eastern European telly too so the dish thing was appealing on that front.

I don't need it to feed to lots of points in the house and I already have an aerial that gives great reception for the 4 Irish stations.

I'm really confused about what I should be buying and how much I should be paying. Maybe I'd be as well just to get a bigger aerial for the UK stations, like I had in my old house but since that will cost about €200, I wouldn't mind paying more and getting tons of satelite channels.

Rebecca

Miss Ribena,

Why dont you get someone to install a dish and sky box without the Sky subscrition Package - I have had that done, dont even have a phoneline. You then have all the BBC's, Sky News, CNN, ITV & loadza garbage.

I'm awaiting delivery on a Sky Yellow HOuse card from the UK, bought on Ebay, that is supposed to give me UTV, Channel 4 & loads more garbage.

So I'll have all BBC's, UTV, CH4, Sky News, CNN & loads of rubbish, for NO subscrition. That sounds like what you are looking for.

My advice for what it's worth, if you can "go get it". If you get killed in the stampede - don't blame me:p . Despite all that was said about adult channels etc, you can block them out. AFAIK ;) you can see adult stuff in any newsagents nowadays! Before long you will want to upgrade the dish (the dish offered is 57 cm I think) and put a motor on it. At least that's what happened to me after I bought the last Lidl deal. And even if you just want to point it at astra 2, you might in future put on a twin or even quad LNB on it and buy (even Lidl in future offers) receivers for the other rooms.

Sorry writing my answer as Betsy Og submitted his! Good idea there too!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The sky dish is a mighty idea!! I could even decide to subscribe later on if I changed my mind. Now all I need is someone to put it up without making me subscribe to sky.

Thanks again
Rebecca

iI can't get a signal on my LIDL sat finder - any obvious mistakes that I should look out for? all help greatly appreciated
C

Hi Folks,

Me again, I'm a bit like "cerberos" here - we got the dish this morning spent most of the evening connecting it up and we have on screen display saying "No Signal" - Mr. H is driven demented, he feels it’s the connections at the end of the cable. Could this be the problem? Or is the positioning – we have pointed it in the same direction as other dishes in the neighbourhood.

The SilverCrest from Comag has a twin output from the LNB. I believe this model won't drive a motorised dish.

Jenny_H said:
Hi Folks,

Me again, I'm a bit like "cerberos" here - we got the dish this morning spent most of the evening connecting it up and we have on screen display saying "No Signal" - Mr. H is driven demented, he feels it’s the connections at the end of the cable. Could this be the problem? Or is the positioning – we have pointed it in the same direction as other dishes in the neighbourhood.

It could still be the positioning, the same direction as everyone else is only a rough guide, small variations in the direction here translate to huge distances in space. You need to be very precise in your positioning. You can get signal meters or even just try moving the disk around with someone inside by the TV to shout out when you hit the right spot.

MissRibena said:
Thanks guys.

The sky dish is a mighty idea!! I could even decide to subscribe later on if I changed my mind. Now all I need is someone to put it up without making me subscribe to sky.

Thanks again
Rebecca

To be honest, you're safest and least troublesome bet is to get Sky installed and decide to subscribe to it for 12 months. You could even get a mutliroom installation so you have Sky in two rooms. AFAIK installation is free, you pay roughly 45 euro a month for the basic package which gives you most stuff except Movies and Sports. Then cancel at the end of the 12 months and go and buy 2 UK freesat cards from a relative/friend based in the UK. This will then give you BBC channels, ITV channels, Ch4 and Ch5. You say you have RTE off aerial.
The beauty of that is that you will own the equipment at the end of the 12 months...both boxes and the dish. You will have got the install as part of it.

So as I say,you could go with a 2 room install and pay 45*12 = 500ish
1 room install, 30*12 = 360.

Buying the kit and getting it installed professionaly without the subscription will end up costing you over 200 euro I'd say.....

So its just an option to keep in mind. You will never be able to get ITV, Ch4, Ch5 off the Lidl box unless either of them switch from Free to View to Free to Air. Free to View can't be got off Lidl box cause it has no slot for a card(a CAM). The monthly rumour mill again says ITV are about to go FTA but to be honest, noone has a clue.

I bought the separate sat finder as well as the package and have stood outside for hours trying to get any signal and no success

I'm like the rest of you I got a dish as well yesterday and I'm having difficulty getting it to work. I didn't know about the seperate Sat Finder for sale for €12 as I would have purchased this as well. How do I know if it's the cable/connections or the positioning of the dish? I get the same on screen display once the receiver is powered on regardless of whether the coax cable is plugged or not.

The dish has a dual LNB - does it matter which one I use if I'm using only one connection?

Where can I get a Sat Meter and how much does it cost?

Is there anyone that can help us??????????

I've set the Sat from Lidl - try this - secure the dish to a solid base - i.e. shhet of timber or ply temporariliy, next use the sat finder turn the tuner until the bleep is just audible now slowly move the dish in the horizontal then vertical axis, the beep will increase /decrease in intensity, fix the dish at loudest bleep, remove the sat finder & reconnect the cable.
Next use RC & select menu go to the Satellite menu & select autotune. this will get channels, this is the basic procedure I used & I'm first time user - yesterday evening. FYI got lot of foriegn channels but am still need to locate BBC.

legend99 said:
We haven't really...its still the only way to get RTE for free...you have to pay mr. Murdoch to get RTE from sat. after paying your TV licence...

Correct & disgraceful, given you can get the BBCs for free, though I think its intended for UK residents only, who no doubt would have paid their licence fee.

This is down to our own RTE just as much as Mr Murdoch's Sky operation btw, given they signed up to broadcast via Astra and the Sky package on this basis ... Rip Off Ireland !

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

Markjbloggs said:
Can the satelite dish be mounted in an attic or must it be external?

Hi

Only if there is some way for the signal to get through your roof in reasonable shape ... have you a clear line of sight to the satellite you want, from inside your roof ? ... perhaps, if you have a large glass window you might get away with it, but you will lose signal strength so may need a larger dish or better LNB to help compensate.

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

DACMAN said:
I've set the Sat from Lidl - try this - secure the dish to a solid base - i.e. shhet of timber or ply temporariliy, next use the sat finder turn the tuner until the bleep is just audible now slowly move the dish in the horizontal then vertical axis, the beep will increase /decrease in intensity, fix the dish at loudest bleep, remove the sat finder & reconnect the cable.
Next use RC & select menu go to the Satellite menu & select autotune. this will get channels, this is the basic procedure I used & I'm first time user - yesterday evening. FYI got lot of foriegn channels but am still need to locate BBC.

Dacman,

What will appear on the screen while you're adjusting the dish with the sat finder connected? We spent another few hours today with no success. We tried all angels and positions but to no avail. How do I know I don't have faulty equipment?

This is what we have done - connected the LNB to the dish, placed on a tempory stand, connected the cable to the receiver and the receiver to the TV via the leads for the DVD (White/Yellow/Red), the TV shows the station (Astra 617, etc) but show 0% signal. What are we doing wrong?

Jenny H
Hope this has been resolved by now,
You should get a picture on screen while adjusting the dish with sat finder. sat finder should emit a bleep once you connect between the reciever & LNB - this will confirm connection is good.
Real key is to face the dish S/E select BBC1 have a clear line between dish & sky - no trees / buildings ect. tur sat finder sensitivity up - 2-3 bars plus audible bleep.
If you recieve a high frequency bleep on any location ten you will have some audio/video on some of the channels but it may be that you are not pointed to Astra 28E instead Astra 19 or Hotbird so scan the channels using the RC- really no need to autoscan as in my earlier post.

I did autotune and now my data base is full, can I clear it?

So far i have astra 19 and hotbird but want astra with bbcs on it.

started due south and went east, then inclined the dish and went back.
found the sats.

Back