Friend hassled by politician

Jane Doe

A friend of mine is continually having flyers from a politician he told to stay away from his home. What can he do. They are delivered by people working for the politician who probably does not know he is there they are just doing house deliveries in the aera. Is the politician responsible for the people who are delivering?

Put them in the bin? What's the big deal about a few flyers?:confused:

Well for me the big deal in these situations is I wouldn't want them. Also I have to pay to have my bins collected and so don't like them being full of flyers I didn't ask for and meaning I have to put bins out more reguarly.

I wouldn't be too sure of the legalities of what you could do, but they could be collected together and then posted back through the letter box of the politician as long as they keep doing it. Maybe even produce their own flyers about unwanted flyers and post them every week through the politicians mail box.

Last edited:
Put a sign on the letterbox, no fliers or advertising. You can probably purchase a sticker for this in a stationary shop.

I used to live in sweden and ppl used to put signs on their doors, "Ingen reklam tack" meaning, "no add's please". Havn't seen anything similar here but then again i get nothing like the deluge in adds here.

would not consider this a maor problem. All sorts of flyers etc come in the door in most urban areas - free newspapers, charity collections, etc. Thinking of legal action over this is really seriously OTT. As already suggested a simple notice "No flyers please" should do the trick.

I thnk you friend has to opt for a complete "no flyers" option or tolerate what comes....it's not really possible to tell (for example) one politian you don't want their flyers and accept everybody elses.

It's different for postal stuff & you should be able to ask to be taken off their mailing list

A friend of mine is continually having flyers from a politician he told to stay away from his home. What can he do. They are delivered by people working for the politician who probably does not know he is there they are just doing house deliveries in the aera. Is the politician responsible for the people who are delivering?

Stating that they are being 'hassled' by a politician putting flyers through the door is sort of stretching it a bit. Suggest your friend takes a chill pill.

Stating that they are being 'hassled' by a politician putting flyers through the door is sort of stretching it a bit. Suggest your friend takes a chill pill.
you do not know the background so how can you say that? If you do not want to answer the question asked instead of judging the person who asks it then please do not comment

Put them in the bin? What's the big deal about a few flyers?:confused:
the deal is they were told to stay away and that their material or indsed presence was not wanted because of previous behaviour which cannot be posted

you do not know the background so how can you say that? If you do not want to answer the question asked instead of judging the person who asks it then please do not comment

We can only judge the situation based on what you have posted. If there is more history to this than random flyers then I imagine the advise given will be different.

We can only judge the situation based on what you have posted. If there is more history to this than random flyers then I imagine the advise given will be different.
ok fair enough, lets just say they were told not to approach house or communicate with person concerned. They are not random in the sense they were told the person was not interested at least 4 times. I think maybe it is cos one of their workers is delivering who maybe do not know and apparently cannot read

there is one apparently the politician cannot read

Im lost, why can the politican not read - another post states its his worker posting the flyers so presumably its the worker who cannot read?

Why doesnt your friend just put the flyers in the bin and worry about more important things than a piece of paper coming in the door. I cannot possibly see how this can be construed as a politician 'hassling' someone - unless the flyers are directed at your friend personally.

Im lost, why can the politican not read - another post states its his worker posting the flyers so presumably its the worker who cannot read?
look i do not know whom delivers them sometimes the p sometime notpoint is they were told to keep away

Why doesnt your friend just put the flyers in the bin and worry about more important things than a piece of paper coming in the door. I cannot possibly see how this can be construed as a politician 'hassling' someone - unless the flyers are directed at your friend personally.
i am not going to repeat myself again as to why they are unwanted

i am not going to repeat myself again as to why they are unwanted

You haven't actually said why, and I'm not going to ask.

If the flyers are causing your friend genuine distress for reasons that people generally would agree are understandable, then he could go to court and seek an injunction to prevent the politician or people acting on his or her behalf approaching your friend or his home.

If your friend is annoyed rather than distressed, then he might set out to annoy the politician to a similar extent -- perhaps by returning the flyers in an unstamped envelope.

You haven't actually said why, and I'm not going to ask.[/qoute]Thanks for your reasoned response

If the flyers are causing your friend genuine distress
They are

for reasons that people generally would agree are understandable,
Not to be smart but i cannot say what people in general would agree with. Only they have been told not to come to the house and there is a genuine reason not just 'upset by a few flyers' which could be thrown in bin

then he could go to court and seek an injunction to prevent the politician or people acting on his or her behalf approaching your friend or his home.
What would it cost

[quoite]If your friend is annoyed rather than distressed, then he might set out to annoy the politician to a similar extent -- perhaps by returning the flyers in an unstamped envelope.
That might be illegal in itself and lead to my friend being defendent. Very helpful, thanks again

Back