Ford S-Max 1.8TDi Zetec: Comments

Re: Ford S-Max 1.8TDi Zetec: Commnts

Well, for all those on the cusp of doing something, I'm selling my 07 Galaxy Zetec 1.8 Tdci. I love the car, but supposed to be moving to new house on Friday, and so car has to go..........and they're right, it's lovely, drives like a good saloon, not like a van

The 5-speed is better than the 6-speed, suits our road speeds better, too much gear changing on the 6. A colleague has the same car as us, so I have it from him that it is so.

A specc'd up S-Max, esp with leather, and 7 seats, will cost more than a Galaxy, and the Galaxy has a better 'boot'. That's why we bought the Galaxy, we originally looked at the S-Max.

Cars are same weight (2505kg), so no penalty for buying the bigger car.

We bought a 1.8 TDCi 6 speed Smax LX recently. She was a demo so it came with the integrated bluetooth (class) and alloys. My three year old got a great kick out of telling everyone that the car has a blue tooth LOL. We are delighted with this car and this is coming from someone who thought they would never buy a Ford. Prior to this I've always had Toyotas. Had a Corolla for 12 years.

However, when it came to a seven seater well I have to hand it to Ford. The smax is much bigger than the verso and I as a 83kg 6 foot male have no problem sitting in the middle seat between two child seats. Also it comes in the 1.8 diesel so its cheaper on the old tax and insurance than the 2l verso. But what really did it was the drive. Once I drove the thing my mind was made up there and then. All I can say is that this car is a a class drive for an MPV. As for the 5 speed vrs the 6 well I've only driven the 6 speed but I love it and dont think I'd go for a the 5 speed version.

Strange the S-Max doesn't have a spare. There is one in the Verso located underneath the car at the back.

The fact that the smax does not have a spare (or a jack) is indeed disconcerting. It doesnt stop them from being a very popular rental car this summer. I expect scores of ex rental smax's coming on the market this autumn. I recon an AA subscription might be a good investment for smax drivers!

Yes, got to admit that is one aspect of the car that I am not quite comfortable with.

Hi, I just hit this problem with the S-Max not having a spare tyre. I got the puncture, put in the spray...hence I now need to buy a new tyre but as if this was not bad enough the problem is that, as the tyre size is not common ( I was told only S-Max and Galaxy use it).. not everywhere stocks it...I have tried 3 advance tyre centres, 1 quick fit , plus the ford garage where I bought the car. None of them have one in stock. Almost all places can get one for me on Monday except the Ford Garage which will not be able to do it until Tuesday.. All this gives me a great feeling of comfort for the weekend and into the christmas period driving this car. Think long and hard about buying one of these.

Is it a small world? Was having a coffee the other day with a friend who drives a Galaxy and she was tell me of someone she knows who got a puncture and was told that the tyre was non-standard! Do you live in Galway per-chance?

Why not buy from eiretyres.com I need to replace all four soon and plan on using them. A guy in Cloonboo will fit them at €10 per wheel.

Hi, I just hit this problem with the S-Max not having a spare tyre. I got the puncture, put in the spray...hence I now need to buy a new tyre but as if this was not bad enough the problem is that, as the tyre size is not common ( I was told only S-Max and Galaxy use it).. not everywhere stocks it...I have tried 3 advance tyre centres, 1 quick fit , plus the ford garage where I bought the car. None of them have one in stock. Almost all places can get one for me on Monday except the Ford Garage which will not be able to do it until Tuesday.. All this gives me a great feeling of comfort for the weekend and into the christmas period driving this car. Think long and hard about buying one of these.
Why not just buy a spare and keep it at home?

Might be wrong here, but I think there are different tread patterns for the left and right side of the car. If you propose keeping a spare at home you're going to need 2.

Might be wrong here, but I think there are different tread patterns for the left and right side of the car. If you propose keeping a spare at home you're going to need 2.

I don't think the car will know the difference ;)
Seriously, it will keep you going for a few days 'till you can get a proper one.

Back