Ford S-Max 1.8TDi Zetec: Comments

laraching

I've just ordered the Ford S-Max 6-Speed 1.8TDCi Zetec last July and I've already made a deposit of 2,500 euro, the dealer said it will arrive for the next 3 months which is October, and that's the perfect time for me to get the car. But after reading some of the post regarding "better to buy a car on the month of January rather than middle of the year because its only few months away then it's already 1 year difference on the plate".

Is it possible to ask the dealer if I could get it on January so that it will be '07? Even if the car arrive on October? Do you think they could wait that long? I haven't tried to ask them yet, but I was thinking it might be a silly question.

Ford S-Max is only being launched last June 2006, does this make the depreciation value between getting it on October '06 and January '07 after 2 or 3 years? Is there any bad review for this car?

Any suggestion would be a great help. Thanks

Re: Ford S-Max 1.8TDi Zetec

Tell the dealer you don't want the car until Jan. Having an 06 plate on it will make it less valuable down the line.

Have a look at Honest John and Parkers for reviews.

Make sure you specify the optional pair of seats. A 7 seater will hold it's value better.

I haven't driven an S-Max, but the Zetec spec. and that 1.8 TDCI engine are the best choices. The press like the model, which is encouraging.

I wouldn't have bothered with an optional 6 speed box however. 5 is enough with a torquey diesel engine imho. It's also a nice bit cheaper.

Good luck with it.

Thank you for the reply RS2K. Yes, it is a 7 seater the one I've ordered, also it has leather seats (factory fitted) that's why it takes 3 months to arrive.

Ok I will ask the dealer. Do you think it's reasonable enough just to tell them I won't need it until January?

Which one makes a big cotribution for the depreciation value, the mileage or the year?

Thanks again.

you might be lucky and it might be late....last time I ordered a car for Jan, I went in to the dealer in Sep and they told me I was too early to order and to come back in end Oct which would be plenty time. Car arrived in March...

you can only ask...

Thank you for the reply RS2K. Yes, it is a 7 seater the one I've ordered, also it has leather seats (factory fitted) that's why it takes 3 months to arrive.

Ok I will ask the dealer. Do you think it's reasonable enough just to tell them I won't need it until January?

Which one makes a big cotribution for the depreciation value, the mileage or the year?

Thanks again.

It's entirely reasonable to delay delivery and registration. Don't take any nonesense from the dealer either. If he acts up ask for your money back and simply go to another Ford dealer. They reckon 50% the years of new cars are sold before the end of March, so a late year order is unusual.

Depreciation wise I'd imagine the year is the biggest factor. A diesel MPV will takes miles in it's stride (within reason).

3 months is about normal for a "custom" order.

Avoid black leather btw. In an MPV with big windows the seats will get very hot when it's sunny.

Do remember that the dealer has to store the car and there is a real cost for them for doing that but a well specked S-Max with leather seats will go down well in their show room so I can't see them having a problem with keeping it.

Avoid black leather btw. In an MPV with big windows the seats will get very hot when it's sunny.

RS2K, just being curious, what is with Black leather compare with any other color? I've got dark blue leather with it. In which unfortunately i haven't seen the actual color any way, because its in the brochure.

Thank you very for all of you who replied. I really appreciate your comments/opinions.

I had to order my Rav 4 Sol in mid August for January 07 delivery and even then I have not been guaranteed a Jan delivery. The Dealer will have your car to display as you said earlier and even if you had to pay some of the money upfront (you would have been paying in full anyway if it was reg 06) would'nt you gain more when you go to re-sale with an 07 reg instead of an 06.

I'm sure the zetec has aircon which will be ok. I've had black leather in my car for 6yrs with no air con and its not so bad...its the only colour leather to have imo

RS2K, just being curious, what is with Black leather compare with any other color? I've got dark blue leather with it. In which unfortunately i haven't seen the actual color any way, because its in the brochure.

Thank you very for all of you who replied. I really appreciate your comments/opinions.

Black leather in particular tends to get very hot in the sun.

This problem is made worse in a biggish MPV with lots of glass. It turns into a bit of a greenhouse.

You will have a/c to cool things down (I think all S-Max have it as standard), but this will take a minute or two to kick in.

Clarkson reviewed the S-Max a few weeks back in the Sunday Times & gave it a major thumbs-up. I'm in the market for an MPV at the moment and am giving serious consideration to it, although can't justify a new one!

It's very new so there will be no used examples available as yet.

Thank you all for all the replies. I got it now. I've collected it last monday the 9th Oct. It's nice to drive. I thought the time I test drive the demo car 4 months ago, that the steering is hard, but when i got the car, it is fine. Space is big. especially the leg room in front.

Best of luck with it. Odd time of year to take delivery of a new car however.

Ford S-Max - any comments?

Hi guys, you helped me out last year when I was thinking about trading up my Fiat Brava, I bought a Peugeot 207 and absolutely love it.
We are now thinking of changing hubbys car. We have a 2 year old and another on the way. We would sometimes have family from the UK come over, so our thinking at the moment is to get a 7 seater, but one that is mainly used as a 5 seater. We trawled a few show rooms at the weekend,and the one I have fallen in love with is the Ford S-Max. I have read good reviews.
If anybody has one, what do they think of them?
My hubby had one question after we came away that we weren't sure of, the third row seats, if you fold them down, do they fold flat into the floor or not?
Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Jam

Re: Ford S-Max - any comments?

Hi JAM

The S-MAX is a nice looking motor for an MPV. The rear seats fold flat so you should be ok on that.

There are a lot of other options out there in the 7 seater range worth looking at. We have the Toyota Corolla Verso and with 3 kids in various stages of car seat (carry tot, booster seat and full child seat)we still find we have loads of room and they all fit comfortably in the second row of seats. The only slight drawback is that if all 7 seats are up then the boot is quite small.

The S-Max is a bit bigger than both of the above and is more expensive plus the third row of seats are an "optional" extra which again adds to the price.

DeBarr

S-Max is much bigger than a Corolla Verso.

7 seater diesel versions will resell very well.

The 1.8 TDCI Zetec is the best all rounder I reckon.

p.s. It doesn't come with a spare wheel.

Thanks,
It seems a lot of the MPV's now don't come with spare wheels we found out, but that there is some foam system they use instead to get you sorted until you get to the garage. Whether it was jsut a bit of sales patter, but the Ford guy was saying that is because it is thought that the main drivers of these cars will be people like myself, women with kids, and to try and jack up a car that big would be pretty difficult, and also the foam thing can be done very quickly which means you can get going again quickly, which is good for safety and sanity when you have kids!

We looked at the Grand Scenic, Citreon C4 Picasso and Kia Carens as well, but the S-Max was the one I liked the most, naturally it is the most expensive but when would a woman go for the cheapest option!

I don't like the idea of tyre weld. It is increasingly common however.

You are right though that a big mpv would take a lot of lifting.

I agree with RS2K the S-MAx is bigger.

It sits somewhere between your traditional "mini-MPV" (Opel Zafira, Corolla Verso etc) and the full-size variant (Ford Galaxy).

Even though it looks great I still think it might be expensive to just have occasional use of 7 seats (especially when it is sold as a base 5 seat model and the back row seats are €700 euro extra + ).

Back