FOKO - 12 weeks for flatpack bed and you pay 100% up front!!

E

extopia

The solicitors for FOKO have written to me threatening me with defamation proceedings over some of the content of this thread. I have removed some over the top comments which could be potentially defamatory.

The extraordinary thing is that they acknowledge that they have difficulties with their suppliers which results in missed delivery dates to customers. It is my view that they should notify their customers up front about the uncertain delivery times. They should also offer a full refund to customers when a delivery date is missed.

They should deal with their business problems instead of threatening a voluntary website service with litigation

I have deleted the allegedly offending comments while I am taking legal advice on them.

Brendan Burgess
Founder Askaboutmoney

Was in FOKO in Blanchardstown yesterday. Decided to purchase a single bed for about €450. Was informed there would be 10-12 week wait for the item (it's flat-pack, by the way, assemble it yourself, sort of like the IKEA model).

Fine, I sez. How much of a deposit would you like? Here was the answer: There was a 20% off sale, and I would have to pay in full in advance to get the discount. Now that's a pretty good return, I suppose, but there was nothing in the small print of the large sale signs to indicate this.

Even if I didn't want to avail of the 20% off, they gave me the option of 50% deposit. But the order would not go in until I paid the rest, at which point the 12 week wait would commence.

Now call me cynical, but here is how I suspect these guys operate.

It's flat pack stuff. Perhaps they keep a stock, perhaps not. Perhaps the manufacturer builds to order, perhaps not. Either way, it should not take 12 weeks to complete. I suspect that FOKO holds onto your money for a couple of months, then puts in the order say 30 days in advance. They receive the item and you collect. Then they pay the supplier perhaps 60 days later (maybe 90). In other words, you pay up front and they have use of your money for 5-6 months. That's a nice positive cash flow.

(Comment deleted as FOKO claimed it was defamatory)

All good furniture stores make you wait a couple of months for the item. But the likes of Arnotts or Brown Thomas take a small deposit and you pay the balance on delivery. (Comment deleted as FOKO claimed it was defamatory)

What does anyone else think? Would be particularly interested to hear from someone in the retail trade. Is this "best practice" or just good business? Can hardly blame them if people meekly accept.

Me? I walked out and took my business elsewhere.

FOKO

I bought a lot of stuff of them early last year when I bought my apartment. I used the Georges St. store.

I was only(!) asked for a 50% deposit.

However I was told 8 weeks for delivery. It eventually turned out to be 14 weeks! I managed a €50 discount as a result of my complaint. Not great considering I'd spent over €2K with them. And 6 weeks living with makeshift bed and seating is no joke!

(Comment deleted as FOKO claimed it was defamatory) Shame really. Some of their furniture is great. I'm delighted with the bed and living room suite I got off them. It's just the service thats absolutely crap.

On the subject of furniture retailers, I've heard very good reports about Home Stores on Jervis St and Talbot St. One friend bought a bed there (very similar in style to FOKO stuff) and it was delivered in just a couple of days!

Re: FOKO

My sister had a similar experience with FOKO georges street. She had to wait almost 3 months and phone around a dozen tiimes before she got her table and chairs.

sale=strange

sounds strange, I bought my sofas in foko in a sale (georges st.), the sale only applied to items that were actually in stock. I had to have them delivered within one to weeks (arrived as promised).

Share your concerns/suspicions though. Comment deleted as FOKO considered it defamatory. I don't consider it defamatory, but it was not central to the main issue I always use my credit card to pay for stuff like that as I feel (hope?) there is some comeback or insurance if the order is delayed/wrong/cancelled or they go bankrupt.

Tiger - this is excellent advice. Where possible, you should buy any expensive item which is to be delivered on your credit card. The credit card company must, by law, refund you if the goods are not delivered for any reason. This applies to all retailers and not just to FOKO

Re: sale=strange

I ordered some stools from Foko in late December/early January, cost 260 Euro.
When I was ordering them, the salesman (probably manager as I managed to get him to give them to me for 250 which he did without asking permission.
He wrote on the receipt 4-6 weeks delivery to the shop.
I rang FOKO at the end of February to ask where my stools were? Girl told me I should have been told (when I bought them) it was a 10-12 week delivery. I told her about the receipt which stated 4-6 weeks, she then said it must have been a Junior Salesperson blah, blah (i.e. not interested) blah.
She told me they should be in this weekend.
(Comment deleted as FOKO claimed it was defamatory)Always pay by Credit Card!
The C.C Company is jointly liable if the company doesn't deliver, goes bust etc so you just go to the C.C Company and let them do the leg work.

same here, "sales"

had to pay in full on a bed, table. 4 chairs and coffee table, and was told between 8 to 12 weeks delivery at Foko

managed to cancel the bed as habitat had nicer one with a 2 weeks wait time and free delivery.

also at Reeds for a couch , only pad a 20% deposit but again is 12 weeks delivery time...

so its folding chairs and matresses on the floor until May.

FOKO - 12 weeks for flatback bed and you pay 100% up front!!

i ordered a two wardrobes from FOKO in June, paid 100% of price and delivery upfront. I was told It would take 8 weeks. I recieved wardrobes, after numerous phone calls, in November. After discussions they did refund delivery charge ( not very generous re ridiculos delays). I would never purchase anything again from FOKO that needs to be delivered.

Re: FOKO - 12 weeks for flatback bed and you pay 100% up fro

Hmmm!!

I'm not feeling very confident about the desk and shelving unit I ordered off them in early Feb, which I obviously paid for in full and am "expecting" in early April. Feeling a little foolish for paying for the whole thing upfront, but I was told it was a sale item with 20% off. I probably should have bought the crappier looking desk in Atlantic Homecare.

However, I'll be calling in to them this weekend with a print out of this thread in the hope of getting discount/confirmation of when I'll be getting my furniture.

Almost 30

Isn't this place ridicuously priced? This crowd will be out of business once Ikea come over here. Ikea hold all their stuff in stock BTW explaining the reason for the requirement for a huge warehouse. So there you go folks. You can thank our thoughtful government for 8-10 week waits, delivery charges, higher prices, poorer service......etc etc

Wife just back from IKEA with 3 of her mates.
She got all their pallets delivered very reasonable
in 3 days direct to the house!
One of the girls had a problem with a table top and they posted another out that day (not sure if she got it before the post strike!).
Another had some bolts missing and they posted them out as well. Otherwise all fine, between the 4 of them, they spent over 5,000 GBP.
Wonder if the Government know or care just how much keeping IKEA out is costing (a) the Government (b) the consumer (c) the economy here.
If they do ever arrive over here, the likes of Woodies,
Atlantic, Foko and the rest of the other overpriced furniture places in Ireland can wave goodbye to any further purchases from most of the consumers of Ireland.

FOKO - 20 weeks waiting for goods

Bought a rather large sofa, dining table, 8 chairs and matching sideboard unit in FOKO Blanchardstown about 2 years ago in their sale. Asked for 50% deposit, with remaining due when the goods arrived into "their" stock.

After waiting 20 weeks and several phone calls (originally told 4-6 weeks) we received a call to say the goods were in and to pay up remainder. Cash on delivery not an option (and they charged us a fee for delivery because we were outside Dublin - albeit about 5 miles!). Anyway, paid up the remaining balance, then delivery date was agreed for about two weeks later. Then received a call to be told that there must be someone at the house to help the driver unload the goods from the truck. Mr. Jellybean works 6 days a week and at this stage I got slightly mad! Eventually delivery arrived with two bodies to help unload. Unpacked everything and then found the material in the couch was torn. Reported this same day as delivery and was asked if we tore it ourselves!!! In fairness they did replace the cover within a few weeks.

Delighted with the furniture but wouldn't rush back to FOKO in the near future! Far too stressful.

Re: FOKO - 20 weeks waiting for goods

Was expecting delivery of 4 stools this week (ordered 17th Jan). Rang them yesterday to inquire and was told there was a delay with this supplier and they won't be in for another 2-3 weeks.
Great customer service!

Foko

I bought a dining room table and 4 chairs (London chairs) from them 3 years ago and handed over £900 punts at the time, I too had to pay in full as there was 20% off. I then waiting 14 weeks and I received my chairs wtih no table!!! 6 weeks later (a staggering 20 weeks after ordering) I received my table. I was discounted the delivery fee which was I think £45 or something at the time.

Since then I have gone back as the washable covers for my chairs have shrunk and now there is about 2 inches of ugly yellow sponge visible on each and every chair. I was told I must have washed them incorrectly (which I assure you I did not) and that they no longer stocked those chairs. Thank you and goodbye. NEVER AGAIN.

same stools

just been doing a sit in in Foko, to try and get a refund after waiting 14 weeks for stools, told it will be another 4 weeks !! - paid in cash and they only refund by cheque by post !! - does anyone know if this is legal?

Re: FOKO - 12 weeks for flatpack bed and you pay 100% up fro

Hi Gwen,

Perhaps these people might help [broken link removed]

This previous thread on AAM might be helpful also.

Good luck with your endeavours. :)

GwenB
So it looks like my chances of getting my stools mid April
(ordered Jan 17th) are slim?
When did you order your Stools just in case my ones are on the same ship?

Refund

Hi, I'm still waiting to be refunded by FOKO after one month. Does anyone know if they have to refund me after a certain time? I returned a bed....
I'm thinking of getting a solicitor involved if this continues!
Thanks..;-)

Jacqueline,

As mentioned above you should check this query out with these people [broken link removed]

refund

Thank you Sueellen!
I'll give FOKO a call again today and inform them of this. However if possible I would like to avoid going to court over something like this.
I basically want to get the message across to other people that dealing with FOKO can be nasty..

FOKO

Just thought to let you know that I finally received my refund for the bed last Saturday from FOKO....phew! Took me 6 weeks....
One thing is certain, I'll never return anything to FOKO again.
Happy Easter everyone..;-)

Back