FM Transmitters & iPods

Notwithstanding the fact that such transmitters may be illegal, the maximum range for these devices is generally about 10 feet as far as I know which means that the possibility of them actually interfering with other systems on the same frequencies must be pretty low.

Interesting. Would a number (say several hundred) of transmitters in use simultaneously build a stronger signal which could constitute interference? Wasn't this the argument against Radio Caroline and other pirate radio in the 1960's?

dam099 said:
I retired him :D
how likely are these transmitters to interfere with aviation though? I always thought these were pretty low power transmissions (to the extent that placement in the car is considered an issue with some car/transmitter combinations).
the IIA uses spectrum near 108Mhz for airnav beacons, some of the flight paths crosses much of Dublin city and yes they are low power compared to the airnav beacons.
Or is aviation equipment particularly sensitive?
are humans in a plane coming in to land 'sensitive' would you think yourself ??
Obviously this is an area to err on the side of caution in any event due to the potentially serious consequences.
You are my man, stay below 107Mhz in Dublin or Shannon or Cork where the spectrum is in use between 108Mhz and 118Mhz for aviation safety purposes .

2pack
I know someone with a transmitter and it has a choice of 106.7,107.1,107.5 or 107.9. 106.7 has poor sound quality and 107.5 has the best quality. should they stop using it?

if near an airport (10 miles from the runway ) then they should be aware that their micro pirate radio station even though it is tuned to 107.5 , is possibly broadcasting above 108 and in aviation spectrum .

if in Ballinasloe Co Galway for example I would not worry :D

Any idea how many plane crashes or other emergencies worldwide have been attributed to interference on aircraft navigation frequencies cause by illegal radio broadcasts?

I picked up one of the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067LYFW/sr=8-1/qid=1147969795/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7460162-7584117?%5Fencoding=UTF8 (iRiver version)in the US recently (as I have an iRiver player) and was looking forward to using it here. However, it does not fit the cigarette lighter thingy in my car!!! It is slightly too wide. Has anyone any experience of this happening.

I think cigarette lighters in cars must be wider in the USA. Does anyone know of an adaptor that might work?

tallpaul said:
I picked up one of the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067LYFW/sr=8-1/qid=1147969795/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7460162-7584117?%5Fencoding=UTF8 (iRiver version)in the US recently (as I have an iRiver player) and was looking forward to using it here. However, it does not fit the cigarette lighter thingy in my car!!! It is slightly too wide. Has anyone any experience of this happening.

I think cigarette lighters in cars must be wider in the USA. Does anyone know of an adaptor that might work?

I have a Monster version bought in the states and fits the lighter in my car fine.
Have you tried a little brute force to get it in?

And Lidl are stocking them next week: [broken link removed].

It's very ugly but the price is good. At least when it breaks, you can afford to buy another one. :D

However, you might be better saving up your Euros and buying a superior model such as a [broken link removed] or the new Kensington FM Transmitter with RDS which uses RDS to display the song titles on the radio. (Note that this capability is long-rumoured to be coming built-in to future iPods.)

There is a good round-up yesterday of the top rumours of the new or updated Apple products that are supposed to be announced on Sept 12th along with the iTunes Movie Downloads - see [broken link removed].

The Video Airtunes would be my favourite - it would be excellent if Apple were to introduce this. Although I am sure some Sonos owners would be feeling very hard done by. :)

I bought a very similar one here.....haven't received it as yet though....looks almost identical but under a different name. Also bought it with an in car recharger. And they take credit cards.

[broken link removed]

Back