FM Transmitters & iPods

I've done a ring and reserve on one of the Alba jobbies in Argos as a stocking filler but I'll be in town over the next week so I'll make an excuse to exit stage left and try that shop out. Always on the lookout for good, decent tech-outlets. I'm a self-confessed technoslut so it helps when it's cheap. Thanks for the tip ClubMan. In the same breath, I'd like to give a recommendation for NoWaffleComputers. Ordered from and recommended them a couple times before but only today I had the opportunity to visit them first-hand today. Them turns out to be a one man show operating from a portacabin. Over the past week he's expanded his operation and doesn't just sell refurb equipment. The refurb department is great value and he's good for sourcing older bits of gadgetry. Helped me breathe life back into an old Dell laptop machine for the sake of a crimbo pressie to someone. Big thumbs up.

Let me speak from experience. I have a Belkin iPod FM transmitter and although the unit functions perfectly, the sound quality SUCKS. Our radio waves are too saturated, and there is NOWHERE on the spectrum that offers an acceptable standard, in my opinion.

I like good sound however, so I suppose I may be fussier than some people.

extopia said:
Let me speak from experience. I have a Belkin iPod FM transmitter and although the unit functions perfectly, the sound quality SUCKS. Our radio waves are too saturated, and there is NOWHERE on the spectrum that offers an acceptable standard, in my opinion.
Is that really true? If you tune a radio across the FM dial there seem to be many frequencies on which there are no radio stations broadcasting. A colleague of mine is a bit of an audiophile and uses one of these transmitters without any complaints.

Yes it's true, for me at least, which is why my post includes the words "in my opinion."

Others will no doubt disagree.

I wasn't looking for an opinion. I was wondering if it is a fact that our airwaves are largely used up. A quick scan of the dial suggests that this is not the case. However I see that some of these FM transmitters only operate on a limited number of frequencies which will obviously be a problem if those frequencies are already used for other broadcasts. In contrast some transmitters can be tuned to arbitrary frequencies in a given range rather than just a fixed set. Perhaps such devices would yield better results and maximise the chances of avoiding already used frequencies? On the other hand perhaps the problem for some people is not finding an unused frequency but the fact that FM broadcasts are of much more limited dynamic range than the original source thus causing certain frequencies in the original source to be attenuated?

My Belkin iTrip can operate at any frequency. None of them are satisfactory in the Dublin area. Perhaps you are right - that it's a limitation of the FM broadcast, I don't know -- all I know is that the sound quality is poor, to my reasonably fussy ears at any rate. Even my kids agree with me!

It's occurred to me that the transmitters effectiveness may also depend on your car radio. As I said before, I use 107.5 but when I switch off the transmitter another station tunes in on what I'd consider a weak to medium signal. However, my car radio will focus in on the strongest signal which I assume given that the transmitter is within the car itself will always be the mp3 fm transmitter. Perhaps this explains the discrepancy between those who like myself think they work fine and those who think they don't or that they have are better ear.

icantbelieve said:
It's occurred to me that the transmitters effectiveness may also depend on your car radio. As I said before, I use 107.5
stay away from me so :D thats my end of the dial .
Perhaps this explains the discrepancy between those who like myself think they work fine and those who think they don't or that they have are better ear.
a few tips for the itrip user. 1. Buy a good one like the Griffin or Belkin , I would never touch Alba. 2. Stay at each end of the FM dial like 107-108 or 87.5-88.0 . The griffin can go surprisingly low with a software hack as can some car radios , I have seen a setup at 87.1 which worked . Do not hack above 108 , especially in Dublin. You will get into deservedly serious **** if you do. Below 88 is a (largely) unused vhf 1 band for telly pics. 3. Boost the volume on the car radio not the output from the transmitter for optimal sound quality. 4. All of these transmitters are currently illegal but enforcement relies on the professional dedicated 24/7 elite swat team staff over in Comreg not on the police.

Spectrum above 108Mhz .

ClubMan said:
Can you expand on that please?

either by procuring a cheap alba or cheap transmitter of that sort which is not exactly locked on the spectrum you set you may end up transmitting on spectrum above 108Mhz. You could also do that deliberately. You should not do this at any stage ever .

The Irish Aviation Authority owns the spectrum above 108Mhz and takes a very very dim view of interference with Air Nav devices deployed at Dublin Airport. Unlike the generally supine Comreg the IIA will go after you and will enforce the Air Navigation and Transport Act 1975 to the letter. I would remind you of section 3 of that Act ( following . )

3. —(1) For the purpose of giving effect to the Montreal Convention,a person shall be guilty of an offence if anywhere he unlawfully and intentionally—

( a ) commits on board an aircraft in flight any act of violence which is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft,

( b ) destroys an aircraft in service or so damages it as to render it incapable of flight or to endanger its safety in flight,

( c ) places or causes to be placed on an aircraft in service any device or substance which is likely to destroy the aircraft or so damage it as to render it incapable of flight or to endanger its safety in flight,

( d ) destroys, damages or interferes with the operation of any air navigation facilities if such act is likely to endanger the safety of aircraft in flight,

( e ) communicates any information which he knows to be false where the communication of the information endangers, or is likely to endanger, the safety of an aircraft in flight.

(2) A person who anywhere attempts to commit any act specified in subsection (1) of this section or aids, abets, counsels or procures the commission of such an act, or aids, abets, or counsels a person who anywhere attempts to commit such an act shall be guilty of an offence.

My advice is therefore simple . Stay away from 108Mhz and if you have a cheap Itrip with a cheap crappy transmitter stay under 107Mhz if you can.

Selling dodgy transmitters which could drift above 108Mhz is an offence.

NOW for section 4

4. —(1) A member of the Garda Síochána who has reason to believe that a person has committed an offence under this Act may arrest him without warrant.

oh dear :D , now for the court case

6. —(1) A person guilty of an offence under section 3 of this Act shall be liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life or for such other term as the court considers proper.

and in case you try out the dumb blonde defence.

6. -(2) A court shall not suspend a sentence imposed under this section.

now do you believe me when I say "serious **** " Clubman :D

It wasn't a case of not believing you - I was merely looking for more detailed information.

If it was only a Garda frequency I'd be inclined to say 'bang away lads sure ye'll be grand ' :D . The Garda, anyway, have frequency hopping gear which changes channel on the fly if 'interference' is detected.

Has nobody noticed that perfectly legal FM stations stay below 107Mhz even though the band goes to 108Mhz (or 107.999 ) .

got a Griffen transmitter from the states for xmas. Used it a few times around the 107.5 mark. Quality is good but not perfect....in between songs you hear some crackle, as you would with the old vinyl records. And on some very quiet songs, you can kinda hear it as well....be warned Coldplay fans!!!
Was out around Trim last night and had to find a new frequency as some station was cutting across which I though strange as there was no probs in Dublin.

Etel - many thanks for your unambiguous confirmation of the status of these transmitters which confirms a discussion I had some months ago with an ex-public broadcasting technician about 'personal' gizmo's. Life imprisonment sounds appropriate considering the potential risk to the lives of aircraft passengers. :D Wonder why these retail outlets with which Dublin appears to be peppered, and which are openly selling 'illegal' and potentially lethal devices, are not immediately raided.

Etel, how likely are these transmitters to interfere with aviation though? I always thought these were pretty low power transmissions (to the extent that placement in the car is considered an issue with some car/transmitter combinations). Or is aviation equipment particularly sensitive? Obviously this is an area to err on the side of caution in any event due to the potentially serious consequences.

Marie said:
Wonder why these retail outlets with which Dublin appears to be peppered, and which are openly selling 'illegal' and potentially lethal devices, are not immediately raided.

As most (all?) of these are supposed to be limited to below the 108mhz range though (at least out of the box unless hacked by a techy type) they should not have the potential to be lethal to aviation at least (unless modified).

Back