Fine for non-display of road tax

Is there not some kind of real-time technology that would allow Gardai, customs officials, or traffic wardens to look up whether a car taxed, insured, and NCT'd?

Reliance on pieces of paper in the windscreen is long gone from most parts of Europe.

Is there not some kind of real-time technology that would allow Gardai, customs officials, or traffic wardens to look up whether a car taxed, insured, and NCT'd?

Reliance on pieces of paper in the windscreen is long gone from most parts of Europe.
yes, it's called ANPR and many (but not all Garda cars are fitted with it). Not sure if it covers NCT though

From Garda web-site

"All vehicles fitted with ANPR camera systems will be able to identify vehicles as being stolen, untaxed, suspect, cited as connected with terrorist suspects, crime groups, drug trafficking, people trafficking and/or persistent offending."

"The planned nationwide roll out of ANPR in An Garda Síochána was completed in 2010. There are approximately 100 operational unit and are now fitted with 3G technology. ANPR vehicles are now deployed in every Garda Division, with the number of vehicles allocated in each division based on various criteria including the type of roads, the amount of motorways and geographic profile."

Neither NCT, nor insurance access are listed. Web Dude or Dudette needs primary school English lessons too, and they've spelled veehickles incorrectly. :)

Maybe you mean a traffic warden?

No. I mean the chap/chapette who inspects PARKED cars. That's probably why s/he's called a parking warden.

(But perhaps you're confusing parking wardens with air traffic controllers who perform a somewhat different function!)

This is completely unacceptable. Let it go to court. Your car was taxed. If the garda were doing there job properly they can check if a car is taxed or not from their online system.
This is a money making gimmick combined with lazy law red tape.
The offence is failure to display. That's the offence , presumably if it was in a PUBLIC PLACE - - the gaurds have acted reasonably-

No. I mean the chap/chapette who inspects PARKED cars. That's probably why s/he's called a parking warden.

(But perhaps you're confusing parking wardens with air traffic controllers who perform a somewhat different function!)
Maybe you need to call yourself H2Oman for this discussion; there is no parking warden that I can find in Irish legislation, nor are there any aeroplane parking controllers. :)

I don't know what a "parking warden" is. But if you mean a plain old parking warden without any apostrophes, then yes they can.

(And if you don't believe me then have a look at S.I. No. 525 of 2022!)
(a) notice set out in Schedule 6 at Form A is prescribed as the form of notice to be served by a traffic warden under section 3

I always thought that Traffic Warden was the posh name for a Lollipop Person.
I now see that a Lollipop Person is in fact a School Traffic Warden.
Traffic is defined as "vehicles moving on a public highway".
As Traffic Wardens seem to only deal with stationary illegally parked vehicles maybe the correct title for them should in fact be Parking Wardens.

I always thought that Traffic Warden was the posh name for a Lollipop Person.
I now see that a Lollipop Person is in fact a School Traffic Warden.
Traffic is defined as "vehicles moving on a public highway".
As Traffic Wardens seem to only deal with stationary illegally parked vehicles maybe the correct title for them should in fact be Parking Wardens.
You should write to your local elected representatives and get them to try to change the SI so.

Unfortunately the OP has not logged into AAM for a number of years so may not see your question. Perhaps others can offer some advice.
Just as an inform, I submitted an appeal to the council and the fee has been waived. This was around my son switching the old tax disk for my new one... Just in case this happens to anyone else. There is mercy in the world. :)

Back