Fine for non-display of road tax

Conshine

I got a fine for not displaying of my road tax disc in the car - €60!

It seems that one of the kids was playing in the car and must have pulled it out and put it back in again, but the previous years was also in there, so the current one ended up behind it.
Is there any way out of this?
I have the disc, I can prove I have paid it, but is not actually displaying it an offence I can get out of?
I would imaging they took a photo of it, so no denying it really.

There is an email address I can contact them on, but want to get other opinions first.
Thanks!

Failure to display the disc is a separate offence from failing to pay motor tax. There is no harm in discussing the problem with whoever issued the notice, but usually the process is pretty well irreversible.

You could try going to court, and the judge might be sympathetic, but I wouldn't think it worth your while.

It's a bit of a bummer Conshine but as Padraigb said, the offence is failure to display so I think you might just have to accept it as a lesson learned. It might be best to remove any old tax discs to avoid the chance of it being hid in the future. No harm contacting them to see if they're sympathetic to your story tho.

Also depending on the age of the kids have a word with them and explain the importance of the matter so as this does not happen again.

This is completely unacceptable. Let it go to court. Your car was taxed. If the garda were doing there job properly they can check if a car is taxed or not from their online system.
This is a money making gimmick combined with lazy law red tape.

As ceist beag said, the offence is failure to display, not failure to tax.

If you chose to fight it in court you are liable to higher penalties and I suspect would need a seriously sympathetic judge and much better excuse (eg death) to win a challenge.

Same thing happened a friend of mine a number of years ago, put the new insurance disk in behind the old one and got done for failure to display, got a fine and 2 points on his license. He didn't challenge it because it happened in East Cork where the local judge's reputation would discourage challenges like this!

contact the phone number given and ask for the Garda name and station. Write to the Superintendent there with a copy of your disc and explain what happened or call in with the original and explain. I doubt it will proceed once you prove it actually was taxed but not displayed cos of the children messing with it.

contact the phone number given and ask for the Garda name and station. Write to the Superintendent there with a copy of your disc and explain what happened or call in with the original and explain. I doubt it will proceed once you prove it actually was taxed but not displayed cos of the children messing with it.

I liked this answer best.! Thanks!

This is completely unacceptable. Let it go to court. Your car was taxed. If the garda were doing there job properly they can check if a car is taxed or not from their online system.
This is a money making gimmick combined with lazy law red tape.

This made me laugh....

Are you being serious Stephen, or are you portraying a satirical parody?

I do hope its the later...!!!

BTW, +1 Tinkerbell

I got a fine for not displaying of my road tax disc in the car - €60!

It seems that one of the kids was playing in the car and must have pulled it out and put it back in again, but the previous years was also in there, so the current one ended up behind it.
Is there any way out of this?
I have the disc, I can prove I have paid it, but is not actually displaying it an offence I can get out of?
I would imaging they took a photo of it, so no denying it really.

There is an email address I can contact them on, but want to get other opinions first.
Thanks!
We had the same issue happened to is today. Did you manage to resolve this without paying a fine.

We had the same issue happened to is today. Did you manage to resolve this without paying a fine.
Unfortunately the OP has not logged into AAM for a number of years so may not see your question. Perhaps others can offer some advice.

@epopnomis the above is your best, and perhaps your only, bet.

True story. Related’ish. Pal of mine was parking and a well meaning elderly lady had finished shopping and gave him her parking ticket. The ones you used to scratch the date day time. Like a scratch card. Not sure if they’re still usesd.

My pal thanked the lady , displayed it in his car and went about his business. Came back and he’d been clamped ! She’d scratched the wrong date ! Some you win. Some you don’t.

One of the machines printing tickets in Naas was wrong for what seemed like years. It always issued me with tickets with an expiry date for the following day! BTW, printing errors aside it has to rate as great value, €3/day parking!!!

UK have now abandoned all discs from windows over a year ago.

Eire still fining people for not have paper despite being taxed, insured or NCT'd.

2023 in Ireland, good grief.

Motorists continue to be a cash cow.

The Republic of Ireland ̶E̶i̶r̶e̶ still fining people for not have paper despite being taxed, insured or NCT'd.

2023 in Ireland, good grief.

Motorists continue to be a cash cow.

Yes, how utterly disgraceful of our police force to apply the legislation as it stands. They really shouldn't bother!

More seriously, might this be another unintended consequence of GDPR? If a car is ticketed by a parking warden for not displaying one of the above documents - as required by law; has such a person the facility and the authorisation to look up such details online?

If a car is ticketed by a parking warden for not displaying one of the above documents - as required by law; has such a person the facility and the authorisation to look up such details online?
Can "parking wardens" actually ticket for no tax disc being displayed? I wouldn't have thought so. Isn't that the Gardaí's job?

Can "parking wardens" actually ticket for no tax disc being displayed?

I don't know what a "parking warden" is. But if you mean a plain old parking warden without any apostrophes, then yes they can.

(And if you don't believe me then have a look at S.I. No. 525 of 2022!)

Back