Filling station advertising hols for €19.99, hidden catch

The signs up at the pumps were in A4 sized laminated pages with very clear text about the tokens needed and the €19.99 for up to 3 nights. There was nothing that led me to know I should check for extra terms and conditions. I am very consumer rights aware etc (in fact Iv a degree in consumer studies which is why Im so disgusted that I got caught out).

It was my car and especially during the summer months I have no need for €75 of fuel, its like buying 5/6 weeks in one go.

yes, mongola there are more expensive options for better quality hotels at €49 per person per day.

Sandals,

Have you contacted the National Consumer Association and informed them of possible false advertising?

I've seen a similar promotion before in my local petrol station but I cannot remember if they specifically mentioned if there was any t&c's attached.

yip RonanC emailed them yesterday but they looking for proof of the actual signs, have a letter wrote to the filling station but hopefully passing through that village on Sunday so will take a few snaps and then hand in my complaint.

There were def no T&C/asterisks etc I'm 100% sure of it and Im assuming the majority of people would be like my husband and say "Bin it, its not worth the hassle" as he stretches out with the remote control. He's point is I got diesel anyway for the money spent but I feel the filling station got more of a spend out of me and Iv no holiday for the €19.99 I was willing to pay.

This comes up from time to time.

The advertising is misleading. It is not enough for the terms and conditions to specify that you must eat at the hotel and pay for it to qualify for the cheap accommodation. You had bought your petrol before you get to see the terms and conditions.

I think you should raise it with Conor Pope in the Irish Times or other similar journalists. Also the NCA and the ASAI.

Brendan

I saved the applegreen stamps a couple of years ago. At the time I was aware of the required food purchases but figured with a baby that we would eat in the hotel anyway. The terms also said some hotels may have extra conditions on availablity. But when we filled the card and started looking at hotels there were so many conditions on the ones we liked, such as only midweek, or higher than usual food spend required. In the end we selected a few options, went online, and could get far better deals either directly or through discount sites. So the card was never used.

Back