Filling station advertising hols for €19.99, hidden catch

Sandals

Filling station in Co. Westmeath had signs up:

€5 spend = 1 token
15 tokens and €19.99 for up to 3 nights in hotel

Filled up €75 worth of fuel and husband pays and gets card stamped etc.

Taking card out there now I must also pay for food (no mention of this at filling pumps, no asterisk etc) leading to at least €39 to be spent per person per day for breakfast and dinner.

I have been mislead. Surely this is false and misleading advertising.

Anyone experience of this.

From my reading I spent €75 for the 15 tokens and I had to pay a further €19.99 for the hotel break.

Im not saying I thought i got free dinner or breakfast but I certainly wouldn't have spent €75 on diesel (in this filling station in one go) if i known I had to buy my breakfast and dinner in the hotel on every night I wished to stay.

Can you clarify that the deal is €39 per night for Breakfast and Dinner ? But you don't have the option of B & B for 19.99 ?

From my reading I spent €75 for the 15 tokens and I had to pay a further €19.99 for the hotel break.

Im not saying I thought i got free dinner or breakfast but I certainly wouldn't have spent €75 on diesel (in this filling station in one go) if i known I had to buy my breakfast and dinner in the hotel on every night I wished to stay.

Are you saying you had no choice but to pay for the dinner and breakfast? The hotel would not accept the voucher unless you agreed to pay for breakfast\dinner?

I've heard about this - You HAVE to purchase €39 worth of food per person per day.

A joke.

the card (which I just stuck in the glovebox as on way to an occasion after I checked the 15 stamps) states a website you look for the hotels on and then I must ring a number to book.

Yes I must pay for breakfast and dinner per person the cheapest being €39. Iv a 10 year old so lord only know what the prices for her would be added on.

I really am disgusted and annoyed at myself over this.

I cant find an email for this filling station but will make contact over this by post.

This is quite common, these deals have been around for a couple of years now.

You think you are getting a hotel stay for a bargain price. But in the small print it says you have to buy €X worth of food each day if you wish to avail of the special offer.

Taking card out there now I must also pay for food (no mention of this at filling pumps, no asterisk etc) leading to at least €39 to be spent per person per day for breakfast and dinner.

Sandals,

Your sentence does not make any sense. Perhaps you could edit it to clarify?

aj

If this is the AppleGreen deal then it says it very plainly on the card that you have to buy food in order to get the "deal".

Not Applegreen but deal running with the company with LBinternational-ni.co.uk, not sure what brand of fuel station it was but its in a small town in Westmeath. Ill name it if no problem here.

There was absolutely no mention of having to pay for food at the filling station or when staff member stamped the card, just till I opened the card this morning and then checked the website.

Sandals,

Please edit your post to make it meaningful.
aj

Taking card out there now I must also pay for food (no mention of this at filling pumps, no asterisk etc) leading to at least €39 to be spent per person per day for breakfast and dinner

Taking the card out of the car and reading though it I find I must pay for meals, of which there was no mention of at the pumps or the filling station counter and then further investigation on the website listed led me to find the cheapest meals are €39 per person per day for each day in the hotel.

Hope this is clearer.....

Taking the card out of the car and reading though it I find I must pay for meals, of which there was no mention of at the pumps or the filling station counter and then further investigation on the website listed led me to find the cheapest meals are €39 per person per day for each day in the hotel.

Hope this is clearer.....

Not really.

Is this what you mean:

I took part in a filling station promotion in Co Westmeath.

It involved €5 spend = 1 token. Collect 15 tokens and up to 3 nights in hotel are can be got for €19.99.

I filled up €75 worth of fuel and got the card stamped etc.

When I examined the card I found that I must pay for meals. When I looked at the website I discovered that the cheapest meals are €39 per person per day for each day in the hotel.

There was no mention of these facts at the pumps or filling station counter.

Was there an * (terms and conditions may apply)?

Would be usual get out of jail terminology used.

I think it is actually more than that per person per day.

A petrol station in Ballinteer is offering the same promotion and while I don't think it is false advertising (as they have everything explained in the smallest characters you can find in their terms & conditions) it is, in my opinion completely misleading.
It does not work out much cheaper than by going online and booking it yourself and a lot of the hotels on offer would be...quite basic hotels.

Considering that most petrol stations make less than 5c per litre before any costs are applied, yoke can be fairly certain that any promotion that involved just €75 fuel purchase will have no real value.

Back