Ferndale Avenue D11-Glasnevin or Finglas?

gnasher

Am interested in a house in Ferndale Ave which is advertised as Glasnevin however I suspect the correct address may be Finlgas. How do I find out?

The following City Council minutes imply (at page 26) that it's correctly described as Finglas East : http://e1qdxpMXD6gJ:www.dublincity.ie/Images/October%2520Minutes%25202004%2520-%252004_10_2004_tcm35-12086.pdf+ferndale+avenue+map&hl=en

The Government seems to think it's Ballygall (go to page 6), given the address of the Holy Faith NS :

My own opinion is that it doesn't matter but that's probably of no reassurance to you seeing as I am unlikely to buy the house from you at any stage in the future....

What's the post code? If it's D11 (and I'm 99% sure it is) then it's not Glasnevin.

On the deeds of the mother in law's house (built c. 1950s) it's officially Glasnevin but then again Finglas probably didn't exist other than as a village in those days and today I would generally consider it more Finglas East. Some people try to claim it to be Glasnevin North. :)

The tax revenue.ie website lists "Ferndale Ave, Finglas D11"
and also lists "Mother of Divine Grace NS.,Ferndale Ave, Ballygall, Finglas D11"

The Private Residential Tenancies Board site lists "Ferndale Ave, Glasnevin,"

i suspect anyone with with an interest in higher property values (est agents etc...) will list as Glasnevin as it is perceived as more upmarket than a Finglas address. Snobbery rules in property deals, i'm afraid.

What's the post code? If it's D11 (and I'm 99% sure it is) then it's not Glasnevin.[/QUOTE]

I have lived in Dublin 11 for the past 5 years and the address is definitely Glasnevin! - Glasnevin Cemetry just over the road.

I work opposite Glasnevin Cemetery and the address is Glasnevin D11. They can call it what they like but I think of the place as being in a no-man's land between Cabra, Glasnevin and Finglas. Sounds nice, doesn't it?
For me once you go past the end of the Cemetery you are in Finglas so Ferndale Ave. is in Finglas. As said above it shouldn't matter but it does.

Jebus Purple you must only work up the road from me! I'd class anything past the Royal Oak as Glasnevin myself.

I think the Dublin Industrial Estate was previously Finglas but changed later to Glasnevin. The area facing The Royal Oak was also previously Finglas and part of the Finglas electoral ward but that was changed to Glasnevin when that 'new' estate was built.
Id have to go with Redstar on this one- Snobbery rules in these cases.

Funny story?- A friend of mine from the deepest of Finglas South was applying for a job years ago and his Mam told him not to put Finglas South down as his address, but to put down Lakelglen Estate, just off Griffith Avenue Extension instead. Some extension!
He left Finglas down on the application and still got the job!

Well in the old days that area was more Ballymun than anywhere else, then they built the towers... Ferndale is off Ballygall Road, close to Glasnevin (nee Ballymun) Ave. In the heart of "greater Glasnevin" or Glasnevin North as Clubman says. Some wags call it Ballymun South.

But Don't worry about it gnasher, Finglas and Ballymun are definitely on the way up. Anywhere inside the M50 is a good place to live these days. And while the estate agent insists on saying the house is in Glasnevin, I don't think it will affect the price at all. Look at the bright side - consider it the cheaper side of Glasnevin. Good luck with it!

Interesting to note that Daft.ie lists the house you're talking about as Dublin 9 while Myhome.ie considers it to be D11.

Don't worry about it, I say, as long as you are paying a fair price for the area and property.

This forum has a lot buying Windmill in "Porterstown" when its actually miles, a canal and a rail line away from the actual properties.

For what it's worth, regardless of where people might claim them to be - or not, the Ferndale Road/Avenue and surrounding roads/estates are well settled* areas and grand places to live in case that's of any help to you.

* The sister in law's estate agent fiancé was aghast at some colleague or other describing some area as "settled" because, in his opinion, this would suggest to some people that travellers lived in the area. Bizarre or what...?

Ferndale Avenue is GLASNEVIN- it is listed in Thoms Street Directory as being in Glasnevin - given that Thoms Directory is the street directory for over 100 years, I would take their conclusion as final.

Moreover Ferndale is what could be called the final stretch of western Glasnevin - any further west and its Finglas East. Like all suburbs, there are roads and avenues that are at their edge and Ferndale is just one of them...

I can understand people getting vexed over whether the location of Ferndale is in Glasnevin or Finglas - just last week a semi-detached house in Cremore Road Glasnevin D11 sold for 1.25 million!!! Finglas houses still command a much lower price.

So its settled - Ferndale is Glasnevin.

postmodern said:
Finglas houses still command a much lower price.

What about houses at the "Glasnevin" end of Finglas? :)

Cremore Rd houses are Strain houses - very sought after, even in "lesser" locations.

postmodern said:
just last week a semi-detached house in Cremore Road Glasnevin D11 sold for 1.25 million!!! Finglas houses still command a much lower price.

And last weekend was the first viewing of a 4 bed detached on Ballymun Road (yes Ballymun Road!!!!) quoting €1.5 million (aka €1.8 million) but unfortnately it needs a lot of work!!! Stampers will bring it up to a round €2 million before the wife gets to work on it [broken link removed]

My advice would be that Ferndale seems like a nice residential area - if the price seems ok go for it!

Roy

Well that house is in the "Ballymun" end of "Glasnevin". Has the Dublin 9 cachet. And for just over €1,000 per square foot!

No wonder the Dublin property market was recently rated as "severely unaffordable."

Ballymun road is such a long stretch - to try and say that the Glasnevin end is anywhere like the Towers is silly - a bit like saying Templeouge Road is in Tallaght or Ailesbury Road is in Irishtown!!!

The entire market is due a sever correction in any case - rents are relatively static - its only a matter of timing when investors realise that the buy to let is uneconomical. An example: House on Glasnevin Avenue sold 630,000 two weeks ago - that same house is now renting at 1,350 per month - works out at a return of 2.5% per annum!!! Completely unsustainable and illogical.

postmodern said:
Ballymun road is such a long stretch - to try and say that the Glasnevin end is anywhere like the Towers is silly - a bit like saying Templeouge Road is in Tallaght or Ailesbury Road is in Irishtown!!!

The entire market is due a sever correction in any case - rents are relatively static - its only a matter of timing when investors realise that the buy to let is uneconomical. An example: House on Glasnevin Avenue sold 630,000 two weeks ago - that same house is now renting at 1,350 per month - works out at a return of 0.25% per annum!!! Completely unsustainable and illogical.
thats actually a 2.57 per cent gross rental yield but i agree its still pathetic. but dont you know irish house price can never go down!;)

Sorry my mistake - 2.5 % excluding running costs and taxes is still a pathetic return on any investment given the ECB is almost the same and inflation is higher...

Friend of mine who was house hunting recently created his own postal code system. He saw many houses in "Fing-nevin" & "Blanchard-knock", among other places :)

Back