Farmer Nally

As far as I know the interview was conducted before his conviction, then withheld until after the sentencing. Indeed there would not have been an opportunity to interview Nally in his own property -- including taking pictures of him sitting in his shed squinting out through the slats looking for intruders, in a bizarre "recreation" of his paranoid behaviour -- following the conviction.

I mentioned Nally's demeanor during the interview because it struck me as odd, something I have never seen before.

The son's testimony in court? Don't know what he said. I'm referring to what he said on TV. I'm sure if it was markedly different to what he said in court it would have been brought to our attention.

The Prime Time piece was very sympathetic to Nally. The question to Nally following his description of clubbing Ward 20 times with a heavy stick, "Do you have a temper, Padraig?" was "balanced" by the question to Ward's widow: "Did he ever beat you?" Disgusting.

extopia said:
Indeed there would not have been an opportunity to interview Nally in his own property -- including taking pictures of him sitting in his shed squinting out through the slats looking for intruders, in a bizarre "recreation" of his paranoid behaviour -- following the conviction.
Weren't these shots done as a reconstruction with an actor, rather than with Mr Nally himself?

RainyDay said:
Weren't these shots done as a reconstruction with an actor, rather than with Mr Nally himself?

The reconstruction was done with an actor. However Nally was filmed sitting in his shed peering out, seperate from the reconstruction of the day's supposed events.

extopia said:
The reconstruction was done with an actor. However Nally was filmed sitting in his shed peering out, seperate from the reconstruction of the day's supposed events.
Are you really, really sure about this? I've replayed the show from [broken link removed]. The shots in the shed are at about 4.55 to 5.05, and even with freeze-framing, it's impossible to see who's face is in the shed. Given that all the other on-site shots were with an actor, what makes you think that these shots are with Mr Nally?

I've just looked at the clip and I think it's fairly clear that it's the actor in the shed and not Mr Nally. The actor has strong curly hair, Nally's is more flat.

Take another look. It's clearly Nally and not the actor, (who bears only a slight resemblance to Nally in my opinion). RTE even uses the shed clip behind Mark Little's introduction to the piece.

There are plenty of shots of Nally throughout the piece: around the farmyard, feeding the chained-up dogs, walking the land etc.

No sympathy for the deceased. If I was terrified I'd also make sure he was dead or I'd never sleep waiting for him to come back for revenge.

But then, I agreed with the main character's outlook in "Death Wish".

ClubMan said:
oulu said:
if eg 5% of us rob houses / beat people up in settled community I would in my opinion say for travellers it would be about 80% plus
Care to back those wildly speculative generalisations up with some facts?
I take if from the silence that you are unable to back those figures up so. :rolleyes:

I just LOVED Judge Kearney's comment yesterday that he wouldn't be able to look Mrs Ward in the eye if he had allowed the jury to consider self-defence as a possible outcome. It's not exactly as if His Honour would be in same social circles as Mrs Ward and would be embarassed by meeting her frequently.....

pgf5312 said:
I just LOVED Judge Kearney's comment yesterday that he wouldn't be able to look Mrs Ward in the eye if he had allowed the jury to consider self-defence as a possible outcome. It's not exactly as if His Honour would be in same social circles as Mrs Ward and would be embarassed by meeting her frequently.....

Can't see how that is relevant.

Anyway it is quite possible Mrs Ward as an interested party in this case was sitting in the courtroom observing the trial when the judge gave his summing up he could have meant then.

Back