Expenses offset against rental income within 1 tax year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, sorry, I see your point now.

Some of the ideas you've mentioned (eg claiming tax deduction on repair of longtime defects) are in the tax evasion category though.
As regards longtime defects, I guess I've just mentioned a broken window pane and not having painted for many years. Both are necessary items for the rental of the property. We promised the tenant we'd sort out both. I can't imagine either of those could fit into the 'evasion' category. At the same time, I had quite a bit of prep to do before i could rent it out - and there were costs that came with that. Of course, I'm out of pocket for that and can't claim it. That's just the system that's in place so I guess I just have to accept that.

and tenant is a sibling of my next door neighbour..so not expecting any problems there.

Bad idea. Thats a recipe for trouble. Getting a tenant to leave when they are supposed to is difficult enough, because tenants find it hard to find new homes, and if they don't leave willingly it will take months (years perhaps), to get them out. This particular tenant will find it impossible to find a new home next door to their sibling.

Some opinions for what they are worth.

Don't tell the bank.
Don't paint until after the tenant moves in.
Don't let the house to your neighbours sibling.

Bad idea. Thats a recipe for trouble. Getting a tenant to leave when they are supposed to is difficult enough, because tenants find it hard to find new homes, and if they don't leave willingly it will take months (years perhaps), to get them out..

I don't really understand the point you're making? Are you saying that any contract can be broken then? If so, we are all taking a risk in renting out any property...so what's the difference?

You seem to think the connection with next door is an issue whereas I see it as a major advantage. I know who the tenant is very well...in know the pedigree of them and I know that my house will be returned in one piece and I won't be screwed over.

I don't really understand the point you're making? Are you saying that any contract can be broken then? If so, we are all taking a risk in renting out any property...so what's the difference?

You seem to think the connection with next door is an issue whereas I see it as a major advantage. I know who the tenant is very well...in know the pedigree of them and I know that my house will be returned in one piece and I won't be screwed over.
Oh dear.

Good luck with your written pedigree contract.

But as most things don't end in disaster you've an excellent chance of all going well. Get a good deposit and rent monthly upfront.

Last edited:
Bad idea. Thats a recipe for trouble. Getting a tenant to leave when they are supposed to is difficult enough, because tenants find it hard to find new homes, and if they don't leave willingly it will take months (years perhaps), to get them out. This particular tenant will find it impossible to find a new home next door to their sibling.

Some opinions for what they are worth.

Don't tell the bank.
Don't paint until after the tenant moves in.
Don't let the house to your neighbours sibling.
Agreed on the bank, and we've never had a poster on here who said a bank pulled their 'home' rate if they rented. He'll get away with painting if it's after first letting, not likely to be checked anyway, just make sure he has a receipt. Plus it's a genuine registered letting. Nothing wrong with that.

Hadn't thought about the possibility of knowing the tenant via a desperate neighbour given the current market!

Oh dear.
Good luck with your written pedigree contract.
Are you saying all tenancy agreements are rubbish or somehow what I have in place is rubbish? If the latter, I'm all ears. If the former, then I really see it as a non event. Ie. I'm generally aware that it's difficult to dislodge tennant's but if I couldn't have taken any further action to assuage risk, then I have to make myself content with that.

Any contract is only as good as the people signing it.

No matter what clauses you think you may have, the minute one party starts to act the maggot, it costs money.

Worse still we don't have an effective process to handle disputes.

Any contract is only as good as the people signing it.

No matter what clauses you think you may have, the minute one party starts to act the maggot, it costs money.

Worse still we don't have an effective process to handle disputes.
Yup...and whilst I may not have the actual experience of it, I was aware that the laws/systems/process don't protect landlords. Of course, who could be happy with that. However, it seemed like I was doing something especially wrong than any of the rest of you that have tenancy agreements in place (or fall back on whatever tenancy law without an agreement) according to some comments....but if that's not the case, I'm happy enough if i've done all that I can do.

Last edited:
Boiler would be one year. It’s a repair/replacement. And I refuse to put any item costing less than 100 euro under wear and tear. If I’m ever audited and revenue want to nit pick on that fine by me.

Are you saying all tenancy agreements are rubbish or somehow what I have in place is rubbish? If the latter, I'm all ears. If the former, then I really see it as a non event. Ie. I'm generally aware that it's difficult to dislodge tennant's but if I couldn't have taken any further action to assuage risk, then I have to make myself content with that.

I’m merely pointing out to you that in my opinion written contracts are pretty useless given the fact that it’s all taken care of by the law and that in general enforcing a contract against a tenant in Ireland is a waste of time and money.

Boiler would be one year. It’s a repair/replacement. And I refuse to put any item costing less than 100 euro under wear and tear. If I’m ever audited and revenue want to nit pick on that fine by me.

I would have thought the repair replacement was depreciated over the 8 yr period. Similar to other white goods purchased for rental purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back