Expenses offset against rental income within 1 tax year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecate

As per the thread title, is there a list anywhere of the types of typical expenses that could be claimed against tax on rental income incurred within one tax year?

I seem to vaguely recall that with certain types of expenditure on a property, they can only be offset over a number of years. Is that correct?

How are things like new furnishings, house painting or relatively minor home improvements treated?

I'm just renting my home out for a one year period and with that, I'm trying to be as tax efficient as possible (i.e. not Evade tax but to avoid/minimise taxes within the rules of the system that is in place). The rental income is pretty modest but given that mortgage payments can't be offset, I'd sooner stump up expenditure on the house instead of shelling it out in tax.

Furniture is wear and tear. So over 8 years. Painting is just a normal expense. Can you list the expenses. Figures are always a good idea on here too. You can’t deduct prior to rental expenses. Mortgage interest is deductible too. There are loads of similar threads on here on this subject.

Furniture is wear and tear. So over 8 years. Painting is just a normal expense. Can you list the expenses.
I guess furniture is out then as I'm just letting for one year....so offset over 8 years doesn't really do a lot in that instance. About to get the house painted so at least that can be used to offset.
Other than that, I don't have anything in the way of expenses to offset. Was planning on upping the expenditure on things that I might get some value out of myself when I move back in ...but it seems that most of these are covered under wear and tear and so, the offset diluted over 8 years.

Mortgage on a tracker so paying little in the way of interest (which naturally I'm chuffed about but not really helpful in this instance). Insurance and PRTB fee I suppose are the only other things that I can think of.

Have you told your lender that you are converting your home into an investment property?

Have you told your lender that you are converting your home into an investment property?
We're going off topic here but you know the answer to that! Furthermore, it's hardly a strategic choice I made (and you are aware I said it was for a period of one year - so it's also not a permanent switch of property classification). Are you saying you would? Whats to be gained from that disclosure? It's often been speculated in the past that banks may use the opportunity to pull the tracker. I've not been tuned in to any such circumstances arising in the interim....but perhaps you have some info to impart in that regard..

There is no need to inform the bank. Don't open that can. When are you painting the property? But do inform the house insurance company that the property is going to be let.

Yes PRTB, insurance are expenses.

Seems odd to be only letting for one year and then deciding to put in expensive stuff. How do you know you'll have an easy job the tenant leaving after a year. Good luck with that in today's overheated market.

There is no need to inform the bank. Don't open that can.
Absolutely - nothing good can come from that.
When are you painting the property?
I'm away but have someone meeting a painter this evening to quote for the work.
But do inform the house insurance company that the property is going to be let.
I never got round to this originally (for the first couple of months) which I know was foolish...but renewed insurance to reflect a rental property.
Seems odd to be only letting for one year and then deciding to put in expensive stuff. How do you know you'll have an easy job the tenant leaving after a year. Good luck with that in today's overheated market.
I'm not sure I understand? I have a 1 year fixed contract with the tenant - and tenant is a sibling of my next door neighbour..so not expecting any problems there. As regards the expensive stuff, if it would offset tax, then yes, I'd do that - but it doesn't seem like that idea works (as most items I can think of would probably fall under that 8 year offset palaver)....unless someone has any thoughts on appropriate items?

As regards the expensive stuff, if it would offset tax, then yes, I'd do that

Incurring overheads don't offset tax. Overheads merely attract a deduction against taxable profits. So you spend €100 to recoup a tax saving of 20%/40%/whatever. That's why it never makes sense to break your own windows to attract tax relief on repairing them.

Incurring overheads don't offset tax. Overheads merely attract a deduction against taxable profits. So you spend €100 to recoup a tax saving of 20%/40%/whatever. That's why it never makes sense to break your own windows to attract tax relief on repairing them.
Indeed...although you do remind me of that one window thats had a crack in it and hasn't been repaired the last couple of years - I'll add that to the list. Sometimes, such an offset can provide the extra motivation to get stuff like that taken care of.

As regards breaking my own windows, naturally enough doesn't bring me any further forward. The use and benefit of something going forward - then sure. For example, painting is classed as maintenance but I'll derive the benefit of that for a number of years. If there are other items of a similar nature, I'd be foolish not to seek to do them right now..

If there are other items of a similar nature, I'd be foolish not to seek to do them right now..

Just be careful, if the amount of repairs and maintenance expenditure appears disproportionate or out of kilter with the rental income you earn, it may attract Revenue attention and they may disallow some or all of it.

As Bronte previouly said be aware that, with few exceptions, expenses incurred (including painting) before the property is let cannot be offset against rental income.

Just be careful, if the amount of repairs and maintenance expenditure appears disproportionate or out of kilter with the rental income you earn, it may attract Revenue attention and they may disallow some or all of it.

I'm already seeing red flashing lights with this one. And who paints a property mid way through a one year tenancy.

I'm not sure I understand? I have a 1 year fixed contract with the tenant - and tenant is a sibling of my next door neighbour..so not expecting any problems there.

Delighted you've a contract. In two decades I've never had one. Why. Pointless is why. But you do have a good chance with the relationship angle, until they move in the girlfriend, split up, and girlfriend moves in boyfriend 2. LOL.

I'm already seeing red flashing lights with this one. And who paints a property mid way through a one year tenancy.
The house was let in a rush. It had not been painted externally for many years as there was a back and forth with an insurer over a structural liability issue (which has since been settled). It looks terrible and we did actually say to the tenant that we intended to paint it (although he's pretty laid back and hasn't made any issue of it).
Delighted you've a contract. In two decades I've never had one. Why. Pointless is why. But you do have a good chance with the relationship angle, until they move in the girlfriend, split up, and girlfriend moves in boyfriend 2. LOL.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this. I'm an accidental landlord whereas I'd imagine you have years of experience. Is a fixed term tenancy agreement not worth the paper it's written on?? I was vaguely aware of protections for landlords being woeful but thought that a fixed term tenancy stands up?

What are the implications of not informing the lender out of interest? Asking for a friend :).
Potential loss of tracker is the obvious one.
We're going off topic here but you know the answer to that! Furthermore, it's hardly a strategic choice I made (and you are aware I said it was for a period of one year - so it's also not a permanent switch of property classification). Are you saying you would? Whats to be gained from that disclosure? It's often been speculated in the past that banks may use the opportunity to pull the tracker. I've not been tuned in to any such circumstances arising in the interim....but perhaps you have some info to impart in that regard..
Not off topic in the least.

You are seeking input as to how to get the tax-payer to partially fund re-decorating and repairing your rental property. That's fine but the other side of the equation is that you have a contract with your lender for a preferential mortgage rate which probably precludes your use of the property as a rental. You know what your contract with the lender states, I don't naturally, but your reaction suggests I might have struck a nerve.

I suppose all I can hope for is that the lender scours the 'on-line PRTB' registrations looking for properties they hold the loans for.

There is no need to inform the bank. Don't open that can.
Of course there is, if only to check the OP is not in breach of contract

Potential loss of tracker is the obvious one.
Sure, but I assumed the way you phrased it there was some negative implication to not informing them, like it breaks a covenant and allows them seize the property and you forfeit your payments or something like that :).

Ah come on.

Your first post said:
Are we reading the same stuff or not? Mathepac went on a solo run about whether I had informed my lender that I had rented out the property. That's got nothing to do with my query.

As regards what you've just quoted, of course I'm looking to minimise my tax liability within the rules of the framework that's there. Wheres the misunderstanding??

Ok, sorry, I see your point now.

Some of the ideas you've mentioned (eg claiming tax deduction on repair of longtime defects) are in the tax evasion category though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back