EV Vs ICE Issues: Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you just mentioned the ID3 as an example, but a (very) quick check on VW.ie shows the starting price of 44,285 so I would imagine that by the time I could pick one up for 15k it would be very old and would possibly be getting close to having its battery replaced. I would happily buy an EV if the cost came down though. I would get over the space too I think...herself drives a big SUV so that could be used for the odd trip to the builder's providers once I'd clean it out afterwards ;)
i think that doesnt include the 5k seai grant, so you are down to 40k new. After 4 years id guess you are close to 50% of the new value, there is no suggestion that an EV with normal mileage will need its battery replaced at that stage or any time soon after that either.

i think that doesnt include the 5k seai grant, so you are down to 40k new. After 4 years id guess you are close to 50% of the new value, there is no suggestion that an EV with normal mileage will need its battery replaced at that stage or any time soon after that either.
Well if I could pick up say a 5 year one for under 20k I would be interested alright for sure. The extra few grand up front would be offset by the lower running costs.

to be fair most ev models are relatively new, so older saloons for 15k dont exist yet but they will in 4 or 5 years. Also remember most evs have more space inside (especially purpose built ones) than the equivalent ICE car, i think VW claim that the ID3 is passat sized inside.
Whoa, there! I drive a Passat and it's very roomy and comfortable, with particularly spacious back seats and a massive boot. I've seen the ID3 and while it's a nice enough car, it's certainly not Passat sized. Basically it's the EV version of a Golf.

Living in the Midlands, I've a Hyundai Kona 3 years now. 72k kilometres on it, so that's 24k average per year. Have rarely used public chargers and have never been stranded due to range.

A Tesla model 3 can do 600km.
Under no circumstances should you get an EV without a home charger.

Whoa, there! I drive a Passat and it's very roomy and comfortable, with particularly spacious back seats and a massive boot. I've seen the ID3 and while it's a nice enough car, it's certainly not Passat sized. Basically it's the EV version of a Golf.
Doesn't look to be a massive difference in the cabin area. Most of that extra length is boot space, so you get 53% extra cargo capacity. The real surprise is that with the rear seats folded, cargo space is largely similar which suggests a lot more rear passenger space in the ID.3.

Doesn't look to be a massive difference in the cabin area. Most of that extra length is boot space, so you get 53% extra cargo capacity. The real surprise is that with the rear seats folded, cargo space is largely similar which suggests a lot more rear passenger space in the ID.3.
Yes the wheelbase differential is very small so its no surprise, despite the protests above!

Yes the wheelbase differential is very small so its no surprise, despite the protests above!
Who will buy a car that is perfect for 98% of what you need it for but is no good for going on holidays with the family?

BTW is there anything to be said for fitting solar PV panels to the roof of EVs? Genuine question. Even 2 or 3 kw would be helpful on a sunny day.

They only useful to keep the normal 12V battery topped up. (wonder why ICE cars don't have them)
But they can't supply enough juice to the main battery to be useful. So they are pointless for that purpose.

53% extra cargo capacity is a pretty massive difference to a lot of people! Personally I wouldn't consider a car where boot space is less than half of a typical saloon.

53% extra cargo capacity is a pretty massive difference to a lot of people! Personally I wouldn't consider a car where boot space is less than half of a typical saloon.

Depends on what you need. We have MPV, a regular saloon seems tiny.

maybe get into one, you need to stop assuming and start experiencing ;)

Who will buy a car that is perfect for 98% of what you need it for but is no good for going on holidays with the family?
Loads of people, it could be a second car? maybe you have a small family. Why is it no good for holidays?

Living in the Midlands, I've a Hyundai Kona 3 years now. 72k kilometres on it, so that's 24k average per year. Have rarely used public chargers and have never been stranded due to range.
Most people (I think) seem to have the view that EVs are most suited to urban dwellers who do mostly short commutes. I think if you do well above average mileage but don't exceed the range maximum, as in your case, EVs make a lot of sense, given how much you will save on fuel. I think it's why I am seeing more & more EV taxis around...

Most of the dedicated EV platforms won't have the drive shaft tunnel affecting the middle seat in the rear too, though I did see a review of the Kia EV6 I think that mentioned the thicker platform meant the floor was a little higher so there wasn't a lot of space underneath the front seats.

passat boot size is typical saloon size and the discussion was regarding the interior space not the boot.

I agree with Purple. Anyone with teenage (or even younger) kids knows the stress charging brings, I couldn't cope adding my means of transport into that list!

I know some people like to do massive non stop journeys. Personally we prefer rest stops to break a long journey. I don't have an EV.
You can still buy a diesel with massive no stop range if thats a thing you want to do.

You probably mean meets or exceeds minimum requirements 98% of the time though, right? :D Most of my driving is around town on my own where a smaller car would be a lot closer to perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back