EU citizen coming to Ireland for 1st time should not get a cent in SW ect?

M

mercman

Guys, trying to get an answer to a question.

If an EU citizen enters ireland, does one have to have worked in ireland to claim social welfare / jobseekers allowance ? Would there be an entitlement if the person's husband/wife worked in ireland ?

Unsure of the rules, but if they haven't worked here they should not be able to claim a cent. Quite simple really.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you leave an EU country for another in order to search for work you get what you would have been eligible in the country you worked before - AND it is paid by the country you come from. Not from Ireland.
However, you have to do some paperwork for it.

Unsure of the rules, but if they haven't worked here they should not be able to claim a cent. Quite simple really.

Nope, under EU regulations you can claim as long as you are eligible.
Are you an EU citizen actively looking for work? You can claim and nothing wrong with this. Though you may need a PPS number first and the claim will probably take a number of weeks if not months!
And you'll do multiple interviews

I know this as I did a course and work experience (kinda like FÁS) in Belfast. I got job seekers and rent allowance despite never paying income tax in the UK.
Looooooads of interviews and forms to fill and it took 13 weeks for the claim to go through yet this was a government training scheme! Ireland isn't the only inefficient country around.
Btw I got maybe £54 pounds in jobseekers and £44 in rent allowance per week, dole was over €180 here at the time, this is only a few years back

So even then, if it wasn't for the training I'd have been better off staying here

When I enquired a year ago about my nephew in France who wanted to come and live in Ireland with us for a year I was told he would be ineligible for any social welfare payment until he had lived here for a year.

What about all the Irish people who signed on in the UK over the years. These are reciprocal agreements.

When I enquired a year ago about my nephew in France who wanted to come and live in Ireland with us for a year I was told he would be ineligible for any social welfare payment until he had lived here for a year.

That may refer to the new Habitual Residency test.

What about all the Irish people who signed on in the UK over the years. These are reciprocal agreements.

Reciprocal agreements between the U.K. and Ireland only,which predated the E.E.C.
I think that it is not possible for a newly arrived polish citizen for example to claim dole from the Irish government.He/ she would have to have worked here for a year or more first. I am open to correction on this however.

Chickens coming home to rest, and there will be flocks of them !!!!
I find it hillarious, all the moaning from people who invariably voted to hand over this country to the EU.
Live with it you signed up for it.

Here in England there has been a lot of fuss about the "Polish plumbers" who come over to work in the UKand claim Family Allowance (or whatever it's called now) for their children living in Poland. The difference in the level of allowance paid is very high apparently but the stock answer to the protestors is that if they went to work in Poland they could claim for their children back in UK, but at the level paid in Poland for Polish nationals resident in Poland.

But they can. You have gotta love the EU.

I bet you lot were not complaining when the EU was feeding the gravy train for all your infrastructural needs over the last 15 years. The fact you so royally mismanaged them is the reason why you are up the creek now; it's pathetic to start blaming fellow European citiziens for claiming what are their lawful entitlements.

I would suggest making more sensible decisions in the future in regards to what politicians you elect and where you invest the money the EU gives you rather than start waving the euro sceptic flag, it makes you look rather silly now.

dont you just have to love the EU! how right we all were to sign up for lisbon2........

Yes, the minute we have to give a cent back to anyone, well then we'll opt out of that thanks very much. The minute we have to accommodate any foreign person, well no thank you. Yet we throw our arms open to billions from Europe, and the open arms they give to all our emigrants, and everything else that's good about Europe. Why don't we just cut the rope from everywhere and drift off into the middle of the Atlantic - that way we won't have anyone bothering us.

Europe is a good thing.....its the eejit from Drumcondra and his cronies that made an This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of it.

Social welfare should not be a career option for anyone and it clearly is for all nationalities including Irish.

People have a right to demand proper training and education opportunities in order to gain employment - but I find it hard to listen to unemployed groups whose sole function it to demand high levels social welfare payments!

I think that social welfare payment should be linked to contributions as it is in France.....

Yes. I claimed social welfare in England when I emigrated there on leaving school in the 70s. Wouldn't have been eligable for anything in this country.

PS I did get a job after a while. Got enough experience there so I could come home and get a job here. Was in the no-experience, no-job vicious circle...

I see nothing wrong with putting east europeans who are signing on here to work on community schemes etc. That way they retain some pride and dignity and we won`t feel that they are sponging.

Back