Estates in Lucan

Abbeydale vs Griffeen in Lucan

Anyone any thoughts in comparing these two estates? We've seen a number of nice houses in both. I personally prefer the layout of the Griffeen houses, but am not so keen on the estate itself.

Re: Abbeydale vs Griffeen in Lucan

Hi Sunsparks,

Guess you didn't go with Esker Manor so!

Anyhow, I am not familiar with the houses themselves or have I experience of the estates but having lived in Lucan (beside Esker Manor) I can throw my two cents in with respect to their respective locations and the consequences for you. And I'll now state that these are my own personal opinions and I apologise to anyone in advance if I cause offence to where they live.....

The big debate amongst Lucanites is always the dividing line between Lucan and Clondalkin and where exactly the line is drawn on St. Mary's Parish (which is Old Lucan). I know you mentioned in your previous thread that you were planning on staying in Lucan for a while and perhaps having kids there....so while it might not be an important topic for you at present...it certainly could in the future. St. Mary's Parish = supposedly better schools. I think the other parish is Ronanstown and some parents do not want their kids going to that parishes schools. The Penny Hill complex seems to be the dividing line so estates to the left of it...ie. towards Lucan village are in St. Mary's Parish are not whereas the ones to the right of it are in Ronanstown / Clondalkin. Thing is I don't know where Abbeydale fits into as it's across the road from the Penny Hill but I don't think it is St. Mary's parish...a grey area but worth checking out. It is definitely a snobbish thing and you can see a difference in the prices depending on which parish you're in. Up to you.

2. Secondly...and once again apologies if I offend! Abbeydale is closer to Ronanstown and Foxborough....areas which would appear to have a slight reputation about them w.r.t crime, more rougher elements....whether Abbeydale is affected by this, I don't know but it would be something to consider. I have noticed an increase in more teenage loutish behaviour in Penny Hill as opposed to the Superquinn complex...hard to tell where they are coming from.

I know you're desperate to find a house but these are things you should bear in mind irrespective of the houses themselves....in addition, check out the bus stops. I know this is sad but I bought a house in an estate over another estate due to the proximity to the Nitelink stop! For safety reasons but also less of a distance to stagger to I guess ;-)

C71

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~lucansouthparish/lucan/images/Lucansth.gif

Open this parish map and zoom in and you see the dotted line. I am not familiar with Abbeydale but a friend lives in Griffeen. Griffeen is in Lucan South parish

C71 is correct about the parish thing meaning that houses directly across the park from Griffeen i.e Johnsbridge generally have about 20% added due to school eligibility

There is an Educate Together school in Griffeen for primary level.

For what it is worth, the only complaints my friend has had in 4 years is about the traffic.

What put you off Griffeen btw?

Thanks for your replies Charlie C and C71. Yeah, we dropped out of Esker and everyone's advice here helped me to make my mind up.

Don't ask me what it is about Griffeen - I'm not actually sure. I think it's the layout more than anything else. And I quite like Abbeydale's proximity to the shops! (I'm lazy)

Mind, we have just watched three houses in Abbeydale go from 310, 320 and 330 go for 347, 345 (that we know) and at least 352 respectively. And the one going for 347 is in WOEFUL condition.

Getting depressed by it all.
:(

My friends live in Griffeen Glen Lawns. They like it there. Have you looked in Clondalkin. I live in the village, the estates there are very mature.

I have been advised that the best way to find out where a property really is is to find out which garda station would respond to a call from there.

A friend of mine has been looking at properties in different part of Lucan and the garda stations proved invaluable; he was never told not to buy in an area but a couple of times he was told 'ah ye we would know that area quite well' which for me speaks for itself.

There is also Esker Parish, schools and church are directly across from superquinn shopping center in Lucan.

hi sunsparks. have you looked adamstown? would be avoiding that stressful bidding process but i have no idea what application lists are like for that development.

I live in Griffeen, and find it quite good (well I would!). There's planning permission up for a small shopping centre on the corner beside Griffeen Educate together school. You are close to the park, which is a mixed blessing as you do get people crossing the park to rob cars/houses (but I think this goes on in some form in every estate). If you have children it's BRILLIANT as you are right beside the only playground in Lucan. The schools are hard to get into if you already have children. If you are only planning on starting a family now, or your children are very young, then you should be able to get them in, there are two educate together schools, a national school and a gaelscoil close by. Not so sure about the story with secondary schools. If you buy a house in the 'village' propper, then you will have no problem with school places, as there aren't so many new estates.

There is also a new train station due to open in 2006 at 'Kishogue' which will be just off the outer ring road, about 15 mins walk from Griffeen (though whether you will be able to get on the train is another story!). If you go to the Iarnrod Eireann site and look for the Kildare Line upgrading project you should be able to find out more...

Having said that, I know someone who lives in Abbeydale and it seems OK too (and very close to the shops).

Apartment Hunting in Lucan

Hello there! Wondering if anyone has any idea what part of Lucan the new Adamstown development will be in? I know its a town in itself but just wondering what part. I looked on a schools parish website for the Lucan area and it lists Adamstown as being in St Marys Parish. Was originally looking at Rosse Court but have seen a couple of things about it on this site that put me off!!

Re: Apartment Hunting in Lucan

It is near the Lord Lucan pub

It is west of Rosse court
From Rosse court on your right, pass foxborough, griffeen and keep going straight until you reach the Newcastle road and turn left it is up there

Re: Apartment Hunting in Lucan

Thanks Bacchus, took a look at that site, was great help! i had looked at it before but didnt realise it gave an in depth summary of where its located, thanks again

Re: Hillcrest, Lucan

Hi

I live in Meadow View Grove which is beside Hillcrest.

Hillcrest is grand a very quiet area.

I generally dont get the 25a bus as it goes all over the world before reaching superquinn (Hillcrest)

I get the 66, 67 xpresso buses home in the evening which pass near to the village and from which there is about a 5 minute walk up into Hillcrest.

The only thing bout Lucan now is the huge Adamstown development which will impact on traffic,infrastructure and services on the whole of the area.

r

Re: Hillcrest, Lucan

there is a 25x that leaves westmorland st @6.30 which goes down the n4 and up through hillcrest first before going to all the other estates, should leave you home for 7.15!

I would agree with kitty kat, Hillcrest isn't a bad estate at all. It's one of the more maturer estates in Lucan. There is a problem with rat running through the estate so I would try to buy a house which was on one of the side roads or cul-de-sacs.

I know there has been a lot of negative publicity about Adamstown (which isn't too far form Hillcrest) but I must say the first phase of apartments look quite impressive. Finished very well. If the promises of the council and developers are to be believed then Adamstown should enhance West Dublin.

Lucan's a grand area. I live in Finnstown Abbey. I could afford to move to a bigger property, but i like the area so much I wouldn't consider it. My eldest child goes to St. thomas's NS (in the Esker Parish)which is run very well. I believe Hillcrest is in Esker parish as well.

If you are looking to live in Lucan I would only consider properties west of the Penny Hill/Outer Ring Road

I would agree with kitty kat, Hillcrest isn't a bad estate at all. It's one of the more maturer estates in Lucan. There is a problem with rat running through the estate so I would try to buy a house which was on one of the side roads or cul-de-sacs.

I know there has been a lot of negative publicity about Adamstown (which isn't too far form Hillcrest) but I must say the first phase of apartments look quite impressive. Finished very well. If the promises of the council and developers are to be believed then Adamstown should enhance West Dublin.

Lucan's a grand area. I live in Finnstown Abbey. I could afford to move to a bigger property, but i like the area so much I wouldn't consider it. My eldest child goes to St. thomas's NS (in the Esker Parish)which is run very well. I believe Hillcrest is in Esker parish as well.

If you are looking to live in Lucan I would only consider properties west of the Penny Hill/Outer Ring Road

Any news on Abbeydale? We have a boking deposit on a property there. Seems well kept for a twelve year old estate. We are paying over 355k for the property and it will require around 10k to modernise- Plus stamp duty!

Are we mad>?

Mary

wish to purchase a 4 bed detached house in Haydens park Lucan.

Any ideas re the price??

kimo

Back