Estates in Lucan

J

joel

Hi,
I am looking for a house to buy in either Lucan OR B'town. I work in stillorgan.
May be someone who live in those area can tell me how the traffic in peak hours (say between 8-9AM & 6-7PM).
which area is better?

Thanks
Joel

Lucan - Blanchards towm Traffic wise comparision

Both disastrous IMHO, lived in Lucan and had to give up driving to work in city centre as it was taking 1.5hrs+, getting out of Lucan is even a problem.

They are both awful to get to Stillorgan from.

On the basis that Lucan is marginally closer, and you avoid the M50 bridge tailbacks, you could try that.

Would you not look at Ballycullen ? Similar in terms of prices, but will save you a fortune in commuting time.

I think Ballycullen is too costly? Am I wrong? I looking at 3 Bed... I saw one dev. but all are 2 storey ..... Is there any new dev's coming up recently? OR are you talking abt. second hand ones?

Thanks
Joel

Why not tap in your price range into myhome.ie to get a feel for what comes up.

What about Sallynoggin either ? It used to be as rough as a badgers bottom, but I think its come up in the world a bit recently.

They don't do Ballycullen on there !

Doh !

Just for research, I tapped in a 3 bed with budget up to €350k anywhere in South County Dublin, and over 70 properties came up, so I wouldn't just blinker myself to Lucan and Blanch.

Balinteer, Tallaght, Knocklyon, Sallynoggin, and suburbs further south such as Bray are all within a more reasonable commuting distance and may be affordable.

ftb - lucan

I am looking to buy a 3 bed semi in Lucan.
I have a budget of 300k.

I don't want to buy an apartment and from looking around, Lucan is the only area where I could buy a 3 bed semi for around 300k.

Just looking for some advice from anyone else who has bought in Lucan.

I am not that gone on Lucan and I would consider other areas of Dublin or any area within a reasonable distance.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don't know anything about Lucan but 3 bed semis can be had in Swords for under €300,000 - there are several for sale in Rivervalley for around €280,000. Equally there are several areas around Dublin that you can buy for less than €300,000.

Kind regards,

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Hi I have lived in Lucan for 4 years, there are obviously pros and cons and feel that it is often under-rated

Cons :
Traffic at rush hour can be bad, but no worse than a lot of other places. I am on flexi-time so doesnt affect me as much
Pubs/ Restaurants: There are some nice pubs/ restaurants but often not within walking distance
No rail links currently

Pros for me:
For the population size, it is extremely quiet
I have never encountered any anti-social behaviour. For the estates built in the last 5 years, the average profile of resident, would be Double Income No Kids, very little teenagers around
Close to shopping centres/super markets

Hope this helps

Thanks kencot1.

Viewed some houses today in Finnstown.

What is the building work going on acrros the road from the entrance to Finnstown? Is it a new housing development? Is it Adamstown? No signs on display.

kencot1, what estates would you recommend in Lucan?

Thanks again.

That is Adamstown! The plans were on view in the Library (over Superquin, so just down the road from Finnstown). I'm not sure if they are still there, you can see them in South Dublin County Council offices if not.

Yes down around Finnstown is Adamstown. I heard on the radio that it will be 10 years for it to be completed.
It will have a train station

Also on the Luas development plan there was a plan to run a LUAS into town

As a useful guide there is a long road running past the Penny Hill, anything West of this road with a couple of exceptions were built since the property boom began and are occupied by 'nice people', who pay their mortgages, wash their cars, look after their houses, and pay taxes
On this side you have Finnstown, Grange Manor, Johnsbridge, Griffeen Glen, TullyHall, Haydens Park, MoyGlass, Elm Park, Abbeywood, and other more mature areas like Willsbrook.
You have Griffeen Valley park around here also

On the east of the divide I am not sure of all the names but they are closer to EuroSpar, like Rochfort.

Now close to BallGaddy church you have some social housing and you have private areas like Foxborough which are unkempt
Also there is a new development of appartments called Rosse court which will probably have some social housing and EHB.

You should just drive around and get a feel for all the places mentioned.

Lucan

I live in Lucan, and am looking to leave. To be perfectly honest, I was looking at moving within the area because the one plus point is that it is an easy commute to work for me and did look at Finnstown, Grange Manor, etc.

Finnstown, etc are nice estates, but remember people bought in estates like this when they were approx. IR£70-£80K, so these people have been able to hold their properties and rent them out as well as buy elsewhere. This has led to a large number of rented properties, many which are rented to EHB tenants, the majority of which are non nationals. This would be the case in a lot of the Estates in Lucan, particulary new Lucan both new and old. You may have a problem with this, you may not.

Having said that, I agree with the previous poster, that having lived there three years, I have not had an ounce of trouble with anti-social behaviour, and live in a cul-de-sac, so it is very quiet.

I do not agree that the Estates named above are inhabited by "nice people". I looked at both Grange Manor and Haydens Park as well as some in the other estates mentioned (the property I looked at was an ex-rental) and they have just as much rented properties rented to EHB tenants as the rest of them, what makes them look less is that they are just not as big as Foxborough, etc. If you drive around any of these estates, you will see the unkempt properties.

I would only consider moving within Lucan to the village, to the more established estates which are huge money.

Re: Lucan

Thanks for the replies.

I have narrowed it down to Tullyhall, Elmbrook and Ballyowen Drive.

techman - I am in tullyhall if you need to know any more.
Also take a look at [broken link removed]. One of the other posters mentioned the traffic; this can be a pain but you can get a fair idea of the times to leave etc. I travel to swords or rathfarnham most days and I know the times to leave and routes to go. Usually I get to my destination within about 5 mins of the average which is pretty accurate really.

I lived in Finnstown for 5 years and was quite happy with Lucan. We cashed in 2 years ago and traded up to a bigger house further out but what was a bit scary for us when we had kids was the lack of school places. With Adamstown coming I just wonder will that and the traffic go mad altogether. Otherwise its a nice spot.

Best of luck.

Adamstown

Has anyone heard when the new developments in Adamstown will be available to buy and does anyone know much about the area and what its like?

Back