Estates in Lucan

Re: Adamstown

I used to live acroos the road from it in Finnstown in Lucan and that was a nice area. Moved away 3 years ago to a bigger house but have fond memories of Lucan. That said, traffic was mental and availability of school places was a serious problem. It may not be an issue now but some day....

Adamstown is supposed to be 'planned' so traffic / schools should be top of their agenda! There's supposed to be a commuter train station into Heuston.

Re: Adamstown

Area wise its not bad. Its close to N4 which is going to be upgraded to 3 lanes. There will also be a railway station for Adamstown behind TullyHall if you know the area (i.e. not far from the shop and The Lord Lucan pub at Finnstown). Adamstown will also be linked to the Nass road. The part of Lucan I live in is great, no social problems, very quite with just families and workers. Traffic is bad between Lucan and M50 roundabout but with teh N4 upgrade maybe it will improve. Takes me 50mins to drive from Lucan to St Stephens green in peak traffic.

Esker Manor - Lucan

Hi all,

Am buying a funny-shaped (triangular) three-bed townhouse at the back of Esker Manor estate in Lucan. Is anyone else buying there, or does anyone have an opinion on the estate?

It's just we feel that 350,000 for a odd-shaped townhouse, no matter how good the area, might be a little difficult to sell on at a later date. (It's got minimal frontage with just a door on the street, but has three windows along the back of the house, but it's only facing East there.) Especially given that you can get decent 3-bed semis near the Penny Hill for around 340,000. What do you think?

Added to this, the EA and developer are refusing to give room dimensions, which I could understand for a "normal" house, but where the rooms are triangular I would have thought dimensions would help the buyer!!! How could we go about pressuring them to provide these, or should we just give up???

Thanks for your advice!

Sun

Re: Esker Manor - Lucan

Looks like this is the same thread as the one you started on 04/10/05....

Confused as to what you are really looking for ???? can u please explain?

Its in a good part of Lucan, nice park beside it and close to Superquinn and N4. Although for the price I would have gone for a 3 bed semi, they are about 330 for a nice one in the same area. Have you already bought or are you thinking about changing your mind before you sign the contracts?

I suppose I'm trying to track down someone that has bought in a similar area. (Sorry bacchus for the repeat post).

We have put down a booking deposit and are now in two minds about the house. I suppose it's the uncertainty as to what it will be like when it's finished and whether it's good value relative to 3-bed semis close by. Mind you, nicer condition 3-beds are going €350,000 or more now.

ARGH!

I like it, I must admit, despite having reservations about the amount of light in the back (it's an easterly garden, but long - should get light down the end in the evening - and not overlooked). I like Durkan houses and I think it will be lovely inside. However, my boyfriend isn't convinced, and won't make a decision without seeing dimensions first. All fair enough.

Nobody else in a similar situation??

the appartment is 350k but do you have to pay management fees too?

3 bed semi is a better deal for that price I think, you'll get nice ones in Lucan for 335-340. At 350 they will have a converted attic or a conservatory or something extra. I can never understand why go for an appartment, the floor space is about 2/3's of a semi detached, you get a front and back garden with the semi, no management fees. It just seems a better deal to me.

Hi SteelBlue,

It's not an apartment - it's a 3-bed townhouse. Got about 1,000 sq ft.

sun_sparks said:
Hi SteelBlue,

It's not an apartment - it's a 3-bed townhouse. Got about 1,000 sq ft.

Yeah thats big enough, will you have to pay management fees?

Hi sun sparks,
If i remember correctly from your other thread, you basically had nothing good to say about this property expect the large garden..
I was definitly not love at first sight.. and my comment was that i though this property was not the right one for you from the reading of your post

To be honest, i would not buy it for €350k for it (for all reason listed in the otehr thread).. You should be able to get a bigger 3-bed semi (not town house) for that in around the same price in the area.

check www.propertypartners.ie. A 3-bed semi with large back garden & garage & side garden for extension went on the market few days ago for €350k+ in Elmbrook Avenue. (OK, it's second hand and will attract SD though)

(note: i am playing devil's advocate here, just want you not to be dessapointed ).

No Bacchus, you're right to do that. My current experience with Lucan though is that all decent properties are fetching much more than their guide. I know of three good properties that have gone €20,000-€25,000 (at least) over their guide. The SD is an added factor though. We have mortgage approval for €375,000 but don't want to end up repaying that much, so we have set a limit for ourselves of €350,000.

With regard to my opinion, I suppose I stated the negatives so people could comment on them. I really like the property, but my boyfriend is the one holding out. He can cope with the design and the location, but is just worried about the cost.

SteelBlue, we're waiting for confirmation on this. They originally said €600 including bin charges, which seems a little excessive to me.

sun_sparks said:
SteelBlue, we're waiting for confirmation on this. They originally said €600 including bin charges, which seems a little excessive to me.

Over 20 years you'll pay at least 12k on charges (it will be a bit more as they will increase it every few years). So you are really spending 362 on the appartment (maybe I am looking at this wrong).

If you are a first time buyer then that 350 house (the one in elmbrook with room for expansion on the side) when you add stamp duty at 3% would be 360k. And most 3 bed semis are 330-340 at the moment in Lucan.

I think you need to factor in the management charges in to your decision.

Hi sun sparks,

me again, the devil'd advocate.
One other thing comig up to my mind
Esker Manor's location is good & bad
1- Good: just opposite nice & large park
2- Bad: too close to St Finian's (basically between esker manor & superquin). I think this is one of the cheapest place to buy in Lucan, so that will limit to resale value.
3- Bad: located on very, very busy road..

May be you could confirm one thing for me: was the property you paid a deposit for not on of the last available one in this new development?

Please do trust that i have no vested interest. I am simply trying to send across why i would not buy this property. While this is only my personal opinion, it has the also refect the thinging of some others people, your potential buyers, shall you close the deal.

Hi - to add to the devil advocate!

Houses in Esker Meadow - the estate just behind Esker Manor are now going for approx 30k above the guide prices of 330...and they're flying off the books apparently.

Any estate this side of the Penny Hill will probably be in this range of 360 as they are all in St. Mary's Parish.

Personally, having left Lucan in the last year, I would not buy in Esker Manor. Chances are that this is your first home and in a couple of years you will want to move on. The question you have to ask yourself is will the next buyer of your home want a house with odd dimensions....you could be limiting yourself to a select number of people and effectively shooting yourself in the foot.

If you want to live in Lucan, buy a std. 3 semi...bite the bullet on the stamp duty as the increase in your mortgage etc. will outweigh the management fees in the long run (fees are bound to go up)

I'd also agree on the previous posters pros and cons....if anything, I think the traffic in Lucan is horrendous now and has got exponentially bad in the last number of years....glad to be out!

C71

c71 said:
I think the traffic in Lucan is horrendous now and has got exponentially bad in the last number of years....glad to be out!
C71

It takes me 55 mins to drive from Lucan to Baggot St in the morns (for example this morning I left at 7.40am and was in work at 8.35am), it takes 15 mins from my house to get onto the N4 which seems the worst part but once you are past the M50 it flies in. Is that not fairly comparable to anywhere else in Dublin for a 7-8 mile journey into the city centre?

Fair point....if you're heading into the city centre by car and have somewhere to park...by bus it's a different story altogether. And forget about it if you work anywhere around the M50! I used work on the Northside and it would take over an hour. Friends work in Tallaght and Sandyford and it takes an hour as well. I guess I shouldn't specifically pinpoint Lucan...I'm just glad to be away from Dublin traffic altogether!

Anyhow, I shouldn't really have gone off on a tangent re traffic in Lucan - best of luck to sun sparks with whatever decision she makes!

c71 said:
I'm just glad to be away from Dublin traffic altogether!
!

Lucky you, I'll be trying to follow suit in the next year.

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially for the points on location - something to consider.

Traffic-wise, well let's not get into that. I don't mind bussing it to town, but my boyf will be driving to Sandyford. Yes, we know all about that issue, but apart from Tallaght we have very little alternative. And with a view to perhaps remaining in property for a few years, I'm not too keen on risking having a young family in Tallaght. My boyf was originally from there, so it's not a random prejudice, and we also have friends who live in Marlfield, which is a nice estate, but it's just not for me.

We got floor space (not dimensions mind) at last, for your information:

Tight on bedroom space (only one double room). Great living space. Fab garden space. I think the bedroom space swings it for us (as well as the useful pointers on considering the management fees!).

Kitchen / Dining Room 12.25m2
Lounge 27.75m2
Bathroom 2.25m2
Hall 5.25m2
Store 1.30m2
Bedroom 1 + En-suite 14.00m2
Bedroom 2 8.75m2
Bathroom & Hot Press 4.00m2
Bedroom 3 6.75m2
Landing 4.50m2
Back Garden 67.50m2

the townhouse is about 915 sq feet, most 3 bed semis are 1050 - 1100 +. But you do have a nice big back garden (well relative to most).

Will you have to spend more to decorate it etc? Or are you considering not going for it now, couldnt tell from your post.

To be honest, I'm thinking of not going for it (and praying that the EA isn't reading this in case I change my mind). The boyf isn't too keen on the price, although I think he could live with the house quite happily. And at the end of the day, I think we should both be happy with our first house. It's a big move and one that's important to get right.

And you're right - we would need to pay more to decorate.

Back