Employer contacted recruitment agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennistymon

I have an issue where my employer contacted a recruitment agent and demanded that I be taken off their database. Judging by the lack of jobs I have been emailed I am presuming he complied.

Just wondering where I stand here with both of them. Can I take legal action?

I contacted the agent in confidence and my details shouldn't be shared with anyone without my consent. Then surely the employer has no right to do what they did.

Last edited:
I have an issue where my employer contacted a recruitment agent and demanded that I be taken off their database.

How did your employer know?

Did that agency recruit you for the employer?

The employment agency should not discuss your affairs with anyone else other than potential employers.

There are many agencies out there. So what if Agency A is not emailing you about jobs? Are the other agencies emailing you about jobs?

Brendan

Is the agent emailing / phoning / texting you at work? If so you are on a hiding to nothing.

Yes, I believe that agency does recruit for the employer.

I told a colleague about the agency and Chinese whispers may have gotten back to the boss. In my mind that doesn't make a blind bit of difference as I am entitled to be on the database of as many recruiters as I want.

I clearly can't work for this employer anymore.

Other agencies are still contacting me.

Is the agent emailing / phoning / texting you at work? If so you are on a hiding to nothing.
I get emailed to my personal email account and any phone calls are on my break when I am off work premises.

I don't think my work ethic or performance will be called into question. Surely given the fact they went to this trouble suggests they rather I stay with them.

It would not be unknown for an agency to forward a CV to a company where the person was already working there, presumably unintentionally.
If that's what happened here, it seems to me that the recruitment firm acted appropriately in removing your name from their database in order to avoid a conflict of interest.

just use another agent ?

I am signed up with multiple agents. That is not my issue, my issue is the breach of confidence from the agent and the pure neck of the employer thinking they know what's best for me.

I have an issue where my employer contacted a recruitment agent and demanded that I be taken off their database. Judging by the lack of jobs I have been emailed I am presuming he complied.

Just wondering where I stand here with both of them. Can I take legal action?

I contacted the agent in confidence and my details shouldn't be shared with anyone without my consent. Then surely the employer has no right to do what they did.

Are you sure that's what happened though? It would be very natural, upon receipt of a batch of candidate CVs, for an agency client to let them know that one of the candidates was already their employee. Upon learning of this, it would be equally natural - and appropriate - for the agency to remove your from their list, in order to avoid a conflict of interest with their client, the employer.

In my mind that doesn't make a blind bit of difference as I am entitled to be on the database of as many recruiters as I want.

True, but by the same token, agencies are not obliged to do business with you either.

But how exactly do you know the employer contacted the agency. Did the employer tell you or did the agent tell you?

I am sure it happened and I am also sure the agent didn't send my CV into my employer. I have it from multiple sources it was cold call from the employer to the recruiter.

As mentioned earlier there is no way I will continue to work for my employer but I am wondering where can I go from here?

As mentioned earlier there is no way I will continue to work for my employer but I am wondering where can I go from here?
Go and work somewhere else and leave it at that, unless you want to take them to court, get a small settlement after months or years of stress and cost and put your name up in lights with every other recruitment agency and employer as someone not to be touched with a barge pole.

Reactions: Leo
Go and work somewhere else and leave it at that, unless you want to take them to court, get a small settlement after months or years of stress and cost and put your name up in lights with every other recruitment agency and employer as someone not to be touched with a barge pole.

I'm not looking for a settlement. I don't agree with the compo culture. At the same time I can't just let them get away with it. The employer has treated me like they own me. As for the recruiter, he obviously has no standards or morals.

I've pretty much been told by them they didn't want to lose me.

If you haven't already, worth pointing out in stark terms they are going about that goal in entirely the wrong manner.

They need to increase the factors that encourage you to stay rather than attempt to make it hard for you to leave!

i dont really see what the issue is, if i was someone paying a recruitment co a lot of fees i wouldnt want any of my staff being approached by them for other roles, and would feel within my rights to come to that arrangement with them, you are over reacting.

If you haven't already, worth pointing out in stark terms they are going about that goal in entirely the wrong manner.

They need to increase the factors that encourage you to stay rather than attempt to make it hard for you to leave!

Exactly my thinking. I have already handed in my notice so they really failed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back