Emirate Airlines.

Tintagel

I am just wondering if anyone has flown long haul with Emirate Airlines? What was the experience like and any tips or recommendations? I see that you land in Dubai for onward flights. Do you need a visa for Dubai?

Been to australia with Emirates 3 times. No visa. lot better than Ethiad. Dubai airport a pleasure. Nice flight times too.

You only need a Dubai visa if you leaving the airport in Dubai. You do not need one for connecting flights where you stay 'airside' as normal.

Abu Dhabi with Ethiad is a nightmare: went to NZ with them via AbuDhabi last Nov ,never again

Not sure about the November incident but we've had a few stressful flight connections in Abu Dhabi airport due to delays at the overcrowded and inefficient security checks through which everybody on a flight connection must go. They've since revamped the security check area and the security check is much improved.
I still find Abu Dhabi airport claustrophobic in places, being funneled through relatively narrow spaces, a complete contrast from Dubai with its vast open spaces.

Thanks. That's useful. I am a bit claustrophobic myself. I was looking at the whole experience from a claustrophobic point of view. I hate queueing in stuffy airports. If flying economy, are the seating areas comfortable and could I choose an aisle seat or are they allocated?

I found Abu Dhabi airport to be a hot and stuffy building with inadequate toilet facilities. Going through there was not a pleasant experience. Dubai is a far more pleasant airport to go through.

You can choose your seat and make sure that you checkin as soon as possible when it opens. Even the economy seats are huge and the bag space is also very generous if you feel like taking you bag with you.

Thanks. That's useful. I am a bit claustrophobic myself. I was looking at the whole experience from a claustrophobic point of view. I hate queueing in stuffy airports. If flying economy, are the seating areas comfortable and could I choose an aisle seat or are they allocated?

I too struggle with Claustrophobia. Emirates were fantastic. I booked a seat at the back of the plane which allowed me to get up and walk around the back of the plane without disturbing anyone. Food was excellent. Drink is free on the flight so have a glass of vino for yourself. Dubai is a great airport. We had a 10 hour stop over so we booked into a hotel which is based in the hotel itself. I found the airport nice and spacey and airy. I was pleasantly surprised & managed the trip home again without any valium ;-)

OP, the others have answered the question, revamped or not, never again.
Just give you one example: there is only one water faucet in the terminal we were in and the water was warm so we bought bottled water at 7 euro a pop for 330ml and then sat into the departure lounge, up near the desk.
The lounge filled up and then an hour before takeoff they came and threw us all out on the corridor, we being first in, were last out and we were at the end of the queue: they installed security check-in and confiscated the water. [I understand from an ex-pat down there that they sell the water back to the stalls and off again, gives a new meaning to reuse, recycle! ]
Okay we should have guessed but after coming 14 hrs from Oz, with a 6 hr wait in Abu, preceded by 6 hrs in Sydney and that preceded by 4 hrs flight from NZ, the grey matter was thrashed.

OP, the others have answered the question, revamped or not, never again.
The OP wanted to know about Emirates as an airline and mentions Dubai. Your story has very little relevance but I like your conspiracy theory about the water.

Thanks for the replies. Emirates/Dubai seems to be a good bet. Shootingstar. I normally feel the need to chose a seat at the front of the plane for some reason. I suppose having the "work area" of the plane in front of me, helps me rather than a plane full of people in front of me.

We are thinking of flying from Dublin to Hong Kong and was wondering if any of the above advice has changed?
I see that you can also fly with British Airways or Virgin via London Heathrow. How do these rate?

If we were to choose business class are any of the above better than the others. I am also trying to keep the price low if flying business class?

Thanks

Haven't been to Dubai yet with Emirates but presume main difference with going via there rather than via Heathrow would be the length of flights, one short plus one very long via Heathrow with 2 comparable flights via Dubai.

Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that Emirates would generally be more expensive than some of the competitors on these routes ?

... in other words, is this a case of you get what you pay for ? :)

Haven't been to Dubai yet with Emirates but presume main difference with going via there rather than via Heathrow would be the length of flights, one short plus one very long via Heathrow with 2 comparable flights via Dubai.
That's an interesting observation. Is a person better off with a short hop to London then a very long flight. Plenty of time to settle and sleep. Having two flights of equal length means being disturbed half way.
I assume that if you fly Dublin to Dubai then Dubai to Hong Kong that the same plane is used and you retain the same seat?

The 10.30pm flight out of Dubai is excellent in terms of timing; you can work that day and/or do stuff, plus you can sleep on the flight, plus Dublin Airport is quiet. And then you’re accessing the Dubai network which is huge. I’m a big fan.

Don't assume anything. I nearly missed my connecting plane in Thailand....as far as I could tell both planes were going to the same destination at the same time. They made me get off one plane and run across the airport to the other. There were at least 4 other people in the same boat. My advice would be to book through a travel agent for long haul. Things can go wrong and you can miss your connecting flight even when you have plenty of time.

As for deciding which flight to book my advice would be look at flight times. If you are flying during the day go through Heathrow, Frankfurt or Amsterdam so that you have a short flight and then a long flight where you can sleep. If you would rather split the flight into two medium flights see if you can get a Qatar Airways flight. Doha airport is a much nicer airport. It is much more relaxed. Far fewer people. Big wide open spaces. Quiet spaces if you need a rest. Good restaurants. If you have to fly through Dubai and need to find a place to rest my advice would be to go to the spa. It is a very busy airport and it can be difficult to find a quiet spot.

Also can't agree that there was plenty of room in the seats. It depends what plane you are flying on. I agree with the person who mentioned sitting at the back of the plane at least then you can get up and move around.

Back