Eligibility UK & Irish state pensions

Pensions paid to a resident in Ireland from the UK are taxed depending on the source of pension

If the pension was sourced from employment in the private sector, then is is taxed in Ireland
If the pension was sourced by employment in the public sector (eg UK civil service employment) then it is taxed in UK

So you need to look into who was employing you and was it considered as a part of Government service

Attachments

• 1631531994971.png
    1631531994971.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 70
Pensions paid to a resident in Ireland from the UK are taxed depending on the source of pension

If the pension was sourced from employment in the private sector, then is is taxed in Ireland
If the pension was sourced by employment in the public sector (eg UK civil service employment) then it is taxed in UK

So you need to look into who was employing you and was it considered as a part of Government service
That's interesting. So different rules depending on citizenship as well. Doesn't clarify where the UK state pension is taxed for an Irish resident UK citizen.

If I read this correctly you are 62-ish and have 48 years either NI or PRSI contributions, so working continuously since the age of 14?
Looks like I'm around a year out in both!
UK govt site has me with 30 full years. 4 years to state pension age. And 16 years when I didn't pay anything. That's when I lived and worked in Ireland.

As I said, the 35 year rule is only applicable to people starting work after 2016.

There are plenty of people who have reached full state pension or more, with less than 35 years. There are also people with more, sometimes a lot more , than 35 years, who have not reached the full amount.

It depends whether or not you were contracted out , and also, how much you were earning per year, pre 2016. Basically, people on higher earnings, who were not contracted out, accrued more state pension per year worked, than someone who was on less pay, and contracted out , say in public sector.

Finally, you cannot make voluntary contributions in both the UK and Ireland at the same time that generate an eligibility for a state pension. But you can (like the OP) make paid contributions in one and voluntary in the other at the same time.
This only applies if compulsorily insured in Ireland and making voluntary contributions in the UK not vice versa.

You can choose to pay Voluntary Contributions (if you are under the current pensionable age of 66 years and meet the other conditions) if you:
  • Are no longer covered by compulsory PRSI in Ireland
  • Are no longer covered by PRSI on a compulsory or voluntary basis in another EU country

Yes, for many state functions (pension calculations, cross border directive et al) there's been no change
So why does the website not say "in another EU country or the UK"?

I'm not trying to catch you out. My reading is that (going forward) you can pay voluntary PRSI now that the UK has left the EU.

Is there firmer guidance on this somewhere?

If you are working outside the EU and not subject to Irish or EU social insurance contributions you may also opt to pay voluntary contributions

So why does the website not say "in another EU country or the UK"?

I'm not trying to catch you out. My reading is that (going forward) you can pay voluntary PRSI now that the UK has left the EU.

Is there firmer guidance on this somewhere?

When it comes to contributions for pension purposes, the legislation is EU state-specific. It is not against EU law per se to contribute simultaneously for pension purposes.
For other insured purposes it is against EU law to be simultaneously insured.

(Link and screen grab below)

Attachments

• F358AE69-3BF6-443A-9526-D9854070957A.png
    F358AE69-3BF6-443A-9526-D9854070957A.png
    920.1 KB · Views: 68
If you are working outside the EU and not subject to Irish or EU social insurance contributions you may also opt to pay voluntary contributions

Do you mean opt to pay voluntary contributions in Ireland? This is correct but from my research/enquiries the UK/Ireland arrangements for pension purposes have not changed therefore the stipulation as referenced in my previous post stands.

I'm open to correction on this so if you have different information please do post here.

Back