Electronic photo frame

Looking for one of these digital photo frames for a Christmas present. Don't want to get a Lidl or Aldi one as it doesn't look good as a present! Snobbery maybe but if it was for myself then I wouldn't mind! :) So anyone know where online is the best value, had a look at pixmania but just wondering if there are any other good websites?

Looking for one of these digital photo frames for a Christmas present. Don't want to get a Lidl or Aldi one as it doesn't look good as a present!
How are they going to know that it's Lidl/Aldi and why does it matter (snobbery aside)? :confused:

I want to buy a digital photo frame for my Dad for Christmas. It seems that most of them take a memory card/ stick.

Does that mean I need to find out what kind of memory card he has in his digital camera so I get a compatible one?

Thanks
C

No not really. Chances are your Dad will be selecting his favorite photo's from a collection somewhere that he accesses via a PC. You can easily buy a cheap card reader which will allow him to put these photo's on a card compatible with his new photo frame. If your Dad has lots of one particular memory card lying around then he might have a preference but otherwise I doubt it would be an issue. Maybe ask him?

Hi Aesop

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I don't know what a card reader is, how does it work?

I would like it to be a surprise so I don't want to ask him.

thanks again

C

A card reader is simply a device that connects to your PC (usually via USB) and you can put almost any kind of memory card into it. You can then read (and write) to the card via your PC. You can buy them in virtually any shop selling PC equipment and they are cheap (~10-15 Euro).

Buy your frame first and if your Dad can't use it then you can always get him the card reader after (some laptops/PC's have card readers built into them).

I'm interested now in getting a digital photo frame to give as a gift.
I didn't know very much about them to start with but I've learned the basics online.
It was informative to read this thread which goes back to 2005 and note the price falling.
Now I wonder if anyone knows of any good value deals available at the moment, preferably in the shops as I would need the gift in about 10 days.
If anyone has spotted any good photo frame deals, I'd be very happy to hear about it.
Many thanks as always.

Argos have a discounted photo frame in their special offers at the moment.

Agfa Photo 7 inch Digital Photo Frame. Was €150, now €75

3 interchangeable frames - aluminium, black, white.
  • Slideshow, rotate, portrait and landscape.
  • Compatible with Windows 2000, XP and Vista.
  • Compatible with SD, MMC, XD, MS, USB.
  • Screen resolution 480 x 234.

rgfuller - much appreciated.
That looks very interesting. Might pick one up at the weekend.
Thank you for taking the time and pointing that out. :)

Here is another one (if you're near dublin), also powercity have a couple at the €100 pricemark.

http://maxburns.ie/start/photo-frames/peak-7-digital-photoframe-black.html
Peak 7" Digital Photoframe Black

Price: €69.00 (including 21 % tax)
Our SKU: 111847

1. Product Group:photo Frame
2. Manufacturer:pEAK
3. Product Name:pEAK 7" DIGITAL PHOTOFRAME 284784FDPK BLK RET
4. Web Address:[broken link removed]
5. Model Number:284784FDPK
6. Package Type:Retail
7. Warranty:1 Year
8. Type Digital Photoframe
9. Video Format: a. JPEG b. AVI
10. External Memory Type 1: a. SD b. MMC c. MS d. MS Pro
11. Remote:Infra-red
12. Display Type:7.0" TFT Colour LCD (480x234)
13. Speaker:Built-in
14. Interface:Mini-USB2.0
15. Mains:power Adapter
16. Width:235mm 17. Height:160mm 18. Depth:32mm
19. Weight:600g
20. Special Features: a. Single Photo Display, Slideshow and Movie (Motion JPEG AVI) b. Photo Rotation and Zoom in/out with Adjustable Brightness c. Alarm / Clock and Calendar Modes Available d. Infrared Remote Control and Button Control on Frame
21. Package Contents: a. Users Manual b. Stand c. USB Lead d. Power Adapter e. Infra-red Remote Control

rgfuller, thanks for the second piece of information.

The frame from maxburns.ie lists a speaker and movie function but I couldn't find any reference to a speaker or movie function being on the one from argos.ie.
Do you happen to know if the argos one has these facilities? Maybe all frames do?
Getting to an argos shop would be handier for me at the weekend.
Appreciate your help rg.

I'd say, as the description on the Argos one doesn't state it, it doesn't have the capability to play video.

Newer models seem to provide more functionality, so I'd say the Argos one is probably older stock - hence the discount.

The Maxburn's one is a lesser known brand too (Peak vs Agfa).

Past experience of devices which play video clips, be they mp4 players or software based players would lead me to think that for a picture display it's more of a gimmick and that any AVI you have already may or may not work properly, which would lead to the hassle of converting video clips to the correct or compatible format. Some digital cameras record movies in .mov format, which would also have to be converted, it's a lot of hassle.

So, in my opinion, it would depend on how technical the person you are buying the present for as to how useful the video playback mode would be.

I notice the Argos one did not fall under their 30 return policy so it would be difficult to change if it wasn't what one expected.
However, I take on board what you're saying about the finicky elements of video clips and compatability, etc.
I'll keep looking and I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge on this.

I found this similar size digital photo frame newly listed on 7dayshop.com for £45 sterling (plus p+p) which has more information regarding speakers, video files, etc. I also like the thin white border between the photo and the black frame.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104146

7dayshop.com LCD Digital Photo Frame - 7" Inch Version
The price shown INCLUDES UK VAT

7dayshop Price £59.99
Special Price £44.99
UK RRP £69.99
Your Saving £25.00 inc. UK VAT

STOCK : PLENTY

This product was listed on Friday 16 May, 2008.

Superb 7dayshop.com value on this superb compact digital photo frame. Offers very good clarity and resolution. Frame has a black front with thin white outer edge. Top quality high resolution screen. LCD itself measures W15.3 x H8.6 cm and the overall frame size measures approx. W22.5 x H16cm.

Displays photographs, Plays MP3, MP4 and also Video Files
Use with SD, MMC, Memory Stick memory cards
Reads pictures directly from memory cards - no PC required
Built in speaker
Auto slide show with multi transitional effects.
Unit may be wall hung and is supplied with bracket for desktop/shelf use. Mains adapter (UK plug fitted) included, also a TV out connection lead is included.
This unit is also supplied with a fully featured FREE remote control !

If you look at the picture the white border is on the outer edge of the frame, what looks white between the screen/black border is actually a 'reflective' effect.

You originally stated you were looking for something in shops - due to your 10 day limit! There are lots of on-line offers from the likes of:

dabs.ie -

expansis.ie -

pixmania.com -

Back