Electricity Prices

FCBC12

Shopping around for electricity provider. Has anyone managed to secure better rates than those available below? This would be useful when calling to 'negotiate' for the next 12 months.

Currently with Bord Gais on a 24 hour urban plan. Roughly 4,000 kWh pa.

Unit rates offered excl. VAT:
(€0.4421 -18% discount) = €0.3625 : Bord Gais
(€0.3970 - 6% discount) = €0.3752 : Electric Ireland
(€0.4426 -10% discount) = €0.3983 : SSE
(€0.5713 -20% discount) = €0.4571 : Flogas (however they offer €150 or €0.0375/unit welcome bonus which would bring the rate down to €0.4196).
(€0.4444 -10% discount) = €0.4000 : Energia

Standing Charge offered excl. VAT:
€257.91 : Bord Gais (increase of 31% yoy!)
€277.91 : Electric Ireland
€221.08 : SSE
€222.47 : Flogas
€217.08 : Energia

I am currently (!) with Energia paying:

€ 0.4444 - 29% discount = € 0.3155 per unit plus VAT

Standing charge € 265.50

What happens to remaining government credit if you switch providers with unused credit?
The unused amount stays with your original provider, as a a credit. You have to contact them yourself and request it; they will then send you a cheque for the remaining amount.
It doesn't get transferred to your new provider. *Future* credits will go to them, however.
This is documented by multiple people on the relevant thread on boards.ie.

Can I suggest a less cumbersome method of publishing and comparing electricity prices using the Actual burdened cost/unit including VAT?

My little spreadsheet does exactly this and in my opinion (?) is a much simpler way of comparing costs excluding Government lump sum payments. These distort the cost/unit (their purpose maybe?).

I can do up a version that uses actual consumption and does the calculation per supplier if that would be useful.

Shopping around for electricity provider. Has anyone managed to secure better rates than those available below? This would be useful when calling to 'negotiate' for the next 12 months.

Currently with Bord Gais on a 24 hour urban plan. Roughly 4,000 kWh pa.

Unit rates offered excl. VAT:
(€0.4421 -18% discount) = €0.3625 : Bord Gais
(€0.3970 - 6% discount) = €0.3752 : Electric Ireland
(€0.4426 -10% discount) = €0.3983 : SSE
(€0.5713 -20% discount) = €0.4571 : Flogas (however they offer €150 or €0.0375/unit welcome bonus which would bring the rate down to €0.4196).
(€0.4444 -10% discount) = €0.4000 : Energia

Standing Charge offered excl. VAT:
€257.91 : Bord Gais (increase of 31% yoy!)
€277.91 : Electric Ireland
€221.08 : SSE
€222.47 : Flogas
€217.08 : Energia
Outstanding summary. Very useful. You’ve done the work for us all there, FCBC12

I am currently (!) with Energia paying:

€ 0.4444 - 29% discount = € 0.3155 per unit plus VAT

Standing charge € 265.50
You’re obviously mid contract , cremeegg. Well done on those rates. Current contracts tarrif discounts are smaller as FCBC12 has shown.

That seems like a lot of hard work why not put your 4k annual usage into the likes of bonkers and let it do the work? While not all tariffs are available through these sites it will at least point you in the direction of the cheapest provider.

If you're a serial switcher - which you should at least be threatening to be - don't forget cash-back offers should be included in your analysis.

I take it you don't like my spreadsheet then? :) Ah well, I can please some of the people some of the time, others not at all. :)C'est la vie

I'm sure that your spreadsheet is grand. But I bet it's not a good as mine is!

Had a look at mine just now: The model uses an annual total of 6,000 units, 56% of which are at night rate.

Two years ago Glowpower was the cheapest at an estimated total annual cost of €900 - including standing charge of €260.

Tonight, Electric Ireland are the cheapest, and the total annual charge is €2,350 (of which the standing charge is €484!)

Pity you all didn’t jump on the Energia EV plan I mentioned back in August. It is fixed rate for the length of the contract. I’m paying €0.2744 incl VAT during the day and €0.079 incl VAT at night.

Excellent rates, I switched in July and wasn't aware of it. Is the plan subject to Energia's usual monthly limit on units?

Excellent rates, I switched in July and wasn't aware of it. Is the plan subject to Energia's usual monthly limit on units?
Plan is no longer fixed unit rate for new subscriptions. And it’s now significantly more expensive. There is a monthly limit but it’s nothing I’d ever hit. And even over that limit, the prices I’d be paying are still much less than prevailing market rates. The info is all in the original post I linked to.

My plan with electric Ireland is up end November.
Which company offers the best for switchers in those above? It looks like electric Ireland but I'm already with them so I presume they'd charge me more if I dont move.
I've 45 euro credit left from the first 200 given for electricity isnt it awkward to have to request it?

Which company offers the best for switchers in those above? It looks like electric Ireland but I'm already with them so I presume they'd charge me more if I dont move.
I've 45 euro credit left from the first 200 given for electricity isnt it awkward to have to request it?

If you go to bonkers or switcher and input the info you should be able to judge from that. Make sure to tick the box to include all offers not just ones available on bonkers or switcher and include cash back options too. Also look at the suppliers websites because sometimes the deals can differ.

I didn't find it a big deal to get the refund issued and Electric Ireland are usually quite efficient with this type of stuff. I will admit it was a year or so back before they were run off their feet with the present situation so you may need to wait after requesting.

I think Electric Ireland leave you on 5% discount (or they used to) if you don't move but you could try haggling with them on phone (best done early in the morning before they get too busy) by telling them that you are looking around for better discount. Again this was the procedure about a year ago so not sure if this has changed too.

My preference for utility companies from a customer service point of view would be Electric Ireland, Bord Gais and Energia in that order. From reviews that I have read here, there and everywhere I would be inclined to stick with those 3 but each to their own.

Hello Sue Ellen,

Speaking as an Electric Ireland customer, their customer service has gone to hell, in recent months, unfortunitely. I've tried calling them a few times recently - with average writing times of about 45mins.

Hello Sue Ellen,

Speaking as an Electric Ireland customer, their customer service has gone to hell, in recent months, unfortunitely. I've tried calling them a few times recently - with average writing times of about 45mins.

Hi Mr. Earl,

That's a lot less time than it takes to get through to Bord Gais along with the number of working days that it takes to get a reply to e-mails. Both companies seem to be swamped but I have found Electric Ireland to be handling it a little bit better. I've dealt with both a lot recently.

I was up this week also with Electric Ireland, they rang & offered me what Bonkers did also, stay with them, get 10% off as existing customer discount. So unit price of 35.73 exVat. 277.91 standing charge exVat. One of the other suppliers was giving €150 cash back, but the rates were very expensive. I stayed for one more year. Very few cheaper offers to move anymore.

Back