Electricity Prices

Hi Mr. Earl,

That's a lot less time than it takes to get through to Bord Gais along with the number of working days that it takes to get a reply to e-mails. Both companies seem to be swamped but I have found Electric Ireland to be handling it a little bit better. I've dealt with both a lot recently.

Doesn't that really mean that both are terrible, but BG are the worst, of the two companies ?

Why give Electric Ireland credit, for providing very bad service? Expecting people to wait those sort of times, is completely unacceptable imho, not least, from a highly profitable company.

My experiences with Electic Ireland this morning beat even their heretofore abysmal customer services hands down.

Having had multiple "chats" since last Wednesday week with four or five different people about my latest missing bill, 77 days and counting, I was told by a supervisor today that there is a billing block on my account. None of the previous personnel I spoke to mentioned this, including one other supervisor.

I asked who had placed the block on my account, why it was blocked, why I hadn't been informed and why no-one in EI noticed before this morning. I got no answers. I got more promises of moving heaven and earth to get me a bill but I hold out no hopes as I've heard it all before. The only thing I got for my troubles was a complaint reference number, 201884975 FYI, with promises of investigation results within 5 to 10 days. 5 to 10 days!!, It's already been 11 with nothing to show!

Whatever their prices, I am sure their customer services are not worth tolerating. They now rate below eir and the HSE for customer services. I'd suggest shopping elsewhere even if their energy prices are good. The left hand doesn't know or seem to care what the right hand is doing around Fitzwilliam Street, Lr. Baggot Street, Mount Street and East James' Street.

A thundering disgrace; pay your energy billls somewhere else.

I was up this week also with Electric Ireland, they rang & offered me what Bonkers did also, stay with them, get 10% off as existing customer discount.
Same here. I was phoned by Electric Ireland last Tuesday. They offered me a 14% existing customer discount. Unit price ex vat 34.14 cent. Might be worthwhile calling them back to increase your discount. There is a 14 day cooling off period.

Doesn't that really mean that both are terrible, but BG are the worst, of the two companies ?

Why give Electric Ireland credit, for providing very bad service? Expecting people to wait those sort of times, is completely unacceptable imho, not least, from a highly profitable company.

Don't get me wrong I'm as browned off as every one else about this level of service but to be fair to them all the utility companies are having a rough time of it at present. Don't forget the long delays that we had to tolerate during the heavy Covid period from most companies.

When one takes into account that everywhere we turn at the moment everyone is talking about the utility charges etc. even on things like the Late Late, and other shows, who would normally not cover things like this. You can be sure that because of this the companies are receiving a lot more enquiries.

From dealing with both companies recently, because of errors made on our accounts, I detect that new staff are being trained up. I actually felt sorry for some of them because they appeared to be in at the deep end. One employee mentioned that they are sometimes working 7 days a week, doing overtime at week-ends, to answer the large volume of e-mails. I'm probably being too soft as usual but having been there, done that, back when I was very young and gullible :) I would not wish their job on anyone.

Shopping around for electricity provider. Has anyone managed to secure better rates than those available below? This would be useful when calling to 'negotiate' for the next 12 months.

Currently with Bord Gais on a 24 hour urban plan. Roughly 4,000 kWh pa.

Unit rates offered excl. VAT:
(€0.4421 -18% discount) = €0.3625 : Bord Gais
(€0.3970 - 6% discount) = €0.3752 : Electric Ireland
(€0.4426 -10% discount) = €0.3983 : SSE
(€0.5713 -20% discount) = €0.4571 : Flogas (however they offer €150 or €0.0375/unit welcome bonus which would bring the rate down to €0.4196).
(€0.4444 -10% discount) = €0.4000 : Energia

Standing Charge offered excl. VAT:
€257.91 : Bord Gais (increase of 31% yoy!)
€277.91 : Electric Ireland
€221.08 : SSE
€222.47 : Flogas
€217.08 : Energia
This is a marvellous post . At the end of the day we can have spreadsheets coming out our ears but its the basic rate and standing charge that is at the core and we can do calculations afterwards ourselves. This post gives us the data to input. Does anybody have the same for a domestic Nightsaver meter , would be extremely useful ?

Don't get me wrong I'm as browned off as every one else about this level of service but to be fair to them all the utility companies are having a rough time of it at present. Don't forget the long delays that we had to tolerate during the heavy Covid period from most companies.

When one takes into account that everywhere we turn at the moment everyone is talking about the utility charges etc. even on things like the Late Late, and other shows, who would normally not cover things like this. You can be sure that because of this the companies are receiving a lot more enquiries.

From dealing with both companies recently, because of errors made on our accounts, I detect that new staff are being trained up. I actually felt sorry for some of them because they appeared to be in at the deep end. One employee mentioned that they are sometimes working 7 days a week, doing overtime at week-ends, to answer the large volume of e-mails. I'm probably being too soft as usual but having been there, done that, back when I was very young and gullible :) I would not wish their job on anyone.
I've been there with new staff and high volume calls and emails.

Induction and SOPs only do so much. It takes time to settle into a new role.

A few people recently recommended Pinergy. No experience/knowledge myself but may be worth investigating.

A few people recently recommended Pinergy. No experience/knowledge myself but may be worth investigating.
They must be nuts!!
  • 43.34 cent per kWh
  • €313.79 annual standing charge
  • €163.12 annual prepayment service charge

Pre-payment providers are generally the most expensive options, and there are stories of people having difficulty getting the pre-pay meter removed and outstanding credit refunded.

I didn’t realize they were prepay. Have heard of them but never looked into rates - and at those rates I won’t be either!

Reactions: Leo
Back