Key Post Electric Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry what car is worthless when its battery is out of warranty?
Would you buy an EV with an out of warranty battery?
You'll spend over €5000 to replace the battery in a Nissan Leaf and it'll be the same old style battery that was fitted when it was built.

i wouldnt assume a lower price to manufacture will be a lower price to sell :D. also new tech is expensive at the start, what you are talking about is probably a decade away before its 'cheap' and at that point there will be something else!
It's a pretty competitive market right now, and with talk of government supports on purchasing having to reduced in the coming years, the manufacturers will be forced to drop prices to stimulate sales.

VW are also stating the new battery designs will be 50% cheaper to produce from the start.

You'll spend over €5000 to replace the battery in a Nissan Leaf and it'll be the same old style battery that was fitted when it was built.
€5k, [broken link removed]....somewhere in that range :D

It's a pretty competitive market right now, and with talk of government supports on purchasing having to reduced in the coming years, the manufacturers will be forced to drop prices to stimulate sales.

VW are also stating the new battery designs will be 50% cheaper to produce from the start.
All that will happen is that grants will go and prices will decrease, an ID3 equivalent in 10 years time will probably cost a similar amount to what it costs now.

personally an old nissan leaf isnt a car that i would be that interested in buying, but if it was there are plenty of diagnostics out there that enable you to check the health of the battery.

Is it any bigger of a risk than buying an ICE car of a similar age with no warranty where the timing belt could go making it uneconomical to repair the engine?

All that will happen is that grants will go and prices will decrease, an ID3 equivalent in 10 years time will probably cost a similar amount to what it costs now.
So which is it, new tech is more expensive & manufacturers won't pass on savings or costs will come down?

So which is it, new tech is more expensive & manufacturers won't pass on savings or costs will come down?
i dont know yet, what im pretty sure is that the cost to the end consumer will stay similar on a like for like car.

i dont know yet, what im pretty sure is that the cost to the end consumer will stay similar on a like for like car.
That's not sustainable when EVs currently cary a significant premium above ICE equivalents. If costs don't come down no government will survive banning ICE.

That's not sustainable when EVs currently cary a significant premium above ICE equivalents. If costs don't come down no government will survive banning ICE.
which EV are you comparing to its ICE equivalent that carrys a significant premium (in net cost to the end customer)

which EV are you comparing to its ICE equivalent that carrys a significant premium (in net cost to the end customer)
VW Golf from €29k, plug-in from €48k. Polo from €19k, ID.3 from €37k.
Toyota Yaris from €19k, hybrid from €23.
Renault Clio from €18k, Zoe (built on the same platform) from €28k

sure, but not after it has snapped.
Yea, and the head gasket can blow and the whole thing can burst into flames but on the balance of probability it'll be grand. The cost of replacing a battery is a definite cost and in many cases it's more than the car is worth. Therefore the car is worthless when the battery is out of warranty.

VW Golf from €29k, plug-in from €48k. Polo from €19k, ID.3 from €37k.
Toyota Yaris from €19k, hybrid from €23.
Renault Clio from €18k, Zoe (built on the same platform) from €28k
Why are you comparing a polo to an ID3?

and ID3 is a golf equivalent, if you compare a golf with the same equipment levels and BHP to an ID3 there isnt much of a price difference if any,

remember the rrp per the websites tend to not include all grants , vrt rebates,

From the VW website ID 3 page:

From €31,404 after grants 1

A new, dynamic era in the world of electric mobility begins with the ID.3. With ranges of up to 540 km1, the ID.3 is suitable for everyday life as well as longer journeys
The price of €31,404 is based on the ID3. Life with the following government incentives applied:
SEAI Grant
of up to €5,000
VRT Rebate of up to €2,600 (VRT rebate varies per model based on grant criteria)1
It is also possible to claim up to €600 towards the purchase and installation of an electric vehicle home charger unit from the SEAI.

I am not as familiar with the Yaris but again i would guess if you were comparing spec for spec the price differential isnt there, you always pay more for more spec, and more BHP (Ice or electric).

the renault i know nothing about. but Kearys appear to suggest taking one on PCP will cost the same as an equivalent clio:

Last edited:
Yea, and the head gasket can blow and the whole thing can burst into flames but on the balance of probability it'll be grand. The cost of replacing a battery is a definite cost and in many cases it's more than the car is worth. Therefore the car is worthless when the battery is out of warranty.
you seem very sure about all of this,

as i said you can run diagnostics on the batter before you buy, so it would be rather foolish to buy a car where the battery was imminently due to fail.

Also you say the cost of replacing the battery is a definite cost. When will the owner of an EV definitely have this cost?

Hi Purple

Yea, and the head gasket can blow and the whole thing can burst into flames but on the balance of probability it'll be grand. The cost of replacing a battery is a definite cost and in many cases it's more than the car is worth. Therefore the car is worthless when the battery is out of warrant

Can we put figures on this please?

Say the battery on a LEAP needs to be replaced. How much will a new battery cost and what spec will it be - i.e. is it a case that a battery of X years gets replaced by a new, much higher spec battery? The follow-up point being that you'd end up with a car with a decent battery for the cost of the battery so I'm struggling to see how the "car" is worthless. [Genuinely, I am not doubting your expertise - I'm just trying to understand!]

Last edited:
Hi Purple

Can we put figures on this please?

Say the battery on a LEAP needs to be replaced. How much will a new battery cost and what spec will it be - i.e. is it a case that a battery of X years gets replaced by a new, much higher spec battery? The follow-up point being that you'd end up with a car with a decent battery for the cost of the battery so I'm struggling to see how the "car" is worthless. [Genuinely, I am not doubting your expertise - I'm just trying to understand!]
The LEAF is at the extreme end of the cost but Leo's link shows people being charged €30,000 for a replacement.
As far as I'm aware it is not possible to replace a battery with a higher spec one, although improved manufacturing processes can improve battery life. A 2017 Leaf will cost you around €15k. Would you buy that car knowing that in 5 years the battery could cost you more than you paid for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back