Electric Ireland End of Contract

My gas supply with Electric Ireland ended in March and I moved to their Value Rewards price plan, paying 14.67 VAT included per unit and 52.23 cent per day standing charge VAT included.

I usually shop around for a better plan but decided not to, thinking that prices were soon to drop.

We are now in the middle of May and just checking Bonkers I see that I can get 12.93 per unit VAT included and 41.73 per day standing charge VAT included with SSE Airtricity. By moving I will save about €230 in the year.

I feel that I want to change suppliers but concerned that as soon as I do prices will start dropping and I will be caught in a fixed contract. At the same time I do not want to be paying a higher price per unit and a higher standing charge now.

I am also conscious of the fact that my central heating and cooking are all gas and I should not be using our central heating between now and October, so my gas bills should be low.

Should I hold off until the end of the summer before switching and wait for things to settle but continue to pay a higher price for my gas supply from Electric Ireland now but with reduced usage?

We are now in the middle of May and just checking Bonkers I see that I can get 12.93 per unit VAT included and 41.73 per day standing charge VAT included with SSE Airtricity. By moving I will save about €230 in the year.

My thinking could be totally wrong here, but you could look at your full usage for last summer, or, if you have a Smart meter check it in your on-line account. You would have to justify the €50 charge to move. It does not look as if prices are going to drop any time soon so waiting until the end of the summer if its not going to cost you too much might be a better idea.

Doing a very rough guesstimate the annual €230 for 6 months would be approx. €115 - €50 levy to move so is it worth the bother for €65 especially if the rates drop a lot in that time and you feel the need to move again in October?

Just in case you have not been with SSE before they don't have a great reputation for customer service.

You would have to justify the €50 charge to move
I understand that I am out of contract. My contract ended in March 2023 and they put me on their Value Rewards price plan, so I don't think that I am in any sort of contract. Thanks

I understand that I am out of contract. My contract ended in March 2023 and they put me on their Value Rewards price plan, so I don't think that I am in any sort of contract. Thanks
You are definitely in a contract, but the MINIMUM TERM has lapsed. You will most likely still have to give 30 days notice (as per your contract), but if switching I think that notice period does not apply.

Unless you have heavy use in the summer it might be best to wait until August and see what deals are on then as prices will fall. (Business prices have fallen already to just over 10c/kwh - but they rose quicker)

Could anyone tell me what the Electric Ireland rate per unit of electricity is? My contract ran out in Nov or Dec but I signed on for another year at 10% reduction. Recently, the bill showed 39.7 c per unit. Is this correct? I've looked at the website but it's difficult to see the unit prices which seem to be in Sterling, by the way!!

Could anyone tell me what the Electric Ireland rate per unit of electricity is? My contract ran out in Nov or Dec but I signed on for another year at 10% reduction. Recently, the bill showed 39.7 c per unit. Is this correct? I've looked at the website but it's difficult to see the unit prices which seem to be in Sterling, by the way!!

@Slim ,

The rates differ depending on your plan.

If you look at your bills you will see what plan you are on. You can register on www.electricireland.ie and set up an account. This would also show you the plan and yearly charges that apply. Some accounts have different annual charges depending on Smart plan or not.

Can't understand the sterling charges.

Correct, I think, for a standard meter plan. I am on the same 12 month contract. The standard unit price is 43.27 (although a 10% reduction should bring it to 38.7?)

@Slim

I have to correct myself, having checked my bill and the EI website. 39.7 is the standard unit price, excluding VAT. The 10% discount is applied to the metered charge at this standard rate. On this deal there is no additional discount beyond 10% for online billing and direct debit. VAT is applied subsequently.

@Early Riser ..no worries. I rechecked the bill and see the Energy Saver Tariff, thanks Sue Ellen!

We charge an EV and annual consumption seems to be approx. 9,000 kw/h. Would a day/night meter[probably have to be a Smart Meter] be a good idea? We could move the washing machine and dishwasher to post 11pm. Obviously, the EV would charge between 2300-0800.

We charge an EV and annual consumption seems to be approx. 9,000 kw/h. Would a day/night meter[probably have to be a Smart Meter] be a good idea? We could move the washing machine and dishwasher to post 11pm. Obviously, the EV would charge between 2300-0800.

Hi Slim,

Your best bet is to use all of the following:

www.bonkers.ie
www.switcher.ie
www.electricireland.ie
www.bordgais.ie

and crunch the numbers. Give El Irl and Bord Gais a call too (probably early in the day is better) and sound them out.

With Electric Ireland with the Smart meter the Home Electric+ Night Boost seems to be the plan that is most suited to E.V. usage. As 9,000 units
is a lot it will definitely pay to do your homework.

This previous AAM thread might give some advice Best Electricity Deal for night time charging of electric vehicle

@Sue Ellen: thank you. It was that previous thread which has prompted me to review the energy costs. However, it was somewhat confusing although, having read it again, it is clearer. It seems to me that our main consumers are the EV, washing machine, dryer(seasonal) and the dishwasher. The lowest rate window would be great for the EV but we wouldn't time any of the others to come on while we're sleeping.

but we wouldn't time any of the others to come on while we're sleeping.

Would have to agree, don't believe that its a good idea to put machines on and go to bed. Turned on our old washing machine many years ago and smoke came out of it straight away so that taught me a lesson.

Back