Best electricity deal for night time charging of Electric Vehicle ?

marsaday

I'm out of contract with my existing supplier so what's the cheapest tarrif out there for someone in my circumstances .
Have two EVs so thats very important to get the cheapest night time rate . Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. Obviously the day rate is on the high side to compensate for the low night time rate , but I thinks thats the way it works. No such thing as a free lunch !!

Do any of you have a smart meter, but are actually on a day night plan, rather than a smart plan?

I have a smart meter, but I'm on a 24hour rate, and I was told, I can't get a traditional day and night plan, that I have to pick a smart plan.

Do any of you have a smart meter, but are actually on a day night plan, rather than a smart plan?

I have a smart meter, but I'm on a 24hour rate, and I was told, I can't get a traditional day and night plan, that I have to pick a smart plan.
I understand from discussions on Boards, you can't have a Day / Night plan with a smart meter. People who want a Day / Night plan can have the smart meter removed and replaced by the appropriate day/night meter.

I understand from discussions on Boards, you can't have a Day / Night plan with a smart meter. People who want a Day / Night plan can have the smart meter removed and replaced by the appropriate day/night meter.
No you don't have to get the smart meter removed. And if you try to, you will have to pay for it.
On the electric Ireland website there are 3 plans available for smart meters (24 hour, Day/Night and Smart)

Thanks AJAM, I saw that recently - it wasn't always the case. one of the other companies are doing it too (either SSE or Energia), but they are more expensive at the moment than EI.

Can you use the energia tariff for charging evs to charge up you solar panel battery?

@AJAM you are not an old counter strike player by chance??? ;)

You can charge any battery you want, but best value is on a Day/Night meter, charging during the 9 hour Night window.

Noting, some plans, have a night rate consumption maximum per billing period, before you move to a higher night rate, but most are generous enough.

You can charge any battery you want, but best value is on a Day/Night meter, charging during the 9 hour Night window.

Noting, some plans, have a night rate consumption maximum per billing period, before you move to a higher night rate, but most are generous enough.
Perfect. Can you get a day night plan on a smart meter?

Depending on your charging requirements for the car, EI have probably the best Smart rates at the moment
Personally I'm looking to go this way (from Energia with 41% discount :( ).
For 5 years I've charged my car on granny charger! So I have a Tapo Smart plugged linked to it and will schedule the car to charge every night for the 2hrs of cheapest electricity.

EI Electricity unit price (Home Electric + Night Boost)
Day: 08.00 - 23.0043.68c per kWh
Night: 23.00 - 08.0021.55c per kWh
Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.0012.65c per kWh

Depending on your charging requirements for the car, EI have probably the best Smart rates at the moment
Personally I'm looking to go this way (from Energia with 41% discount :( ).
For 5 years I've charged my car on granny charger! So I have a Tapo Smart plugged linked to it and will schedule the car to charge every night for the 2hrs of cheapest electricity.

EI Electricity unit price (Home Electric + Night Boost)
Day: 08.00 - 23.0043.68c per kWh
Night: 23.00 - 08.0021.55c per kWh
Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.0012.65c per kWh
I only never understand this, on the basis, there is no alternative available.

But there is,at least there is, for those who have never been on a smart plan, get your meter chaged to a day/night meter
I EV charge at home, once every 9 days or so, using Night Rate. So to go from that, to plugging in every single day, in rain, i just couldn’t be bothered. Am on Energia 8.9 c night rate, have it until early September, but i’d expect the currently available excessively high rates, to drop, before then.

Moving to a day/night meter, last May, was the best decision i ever made, the 9 hour period each night of low rates, not having to plug in and out every single day. The €1,000 + in annual savings. Have a heat pump as well, which heats all our water on night rates, and can-time heat pump to boost heat on night rate also.

The smart meters are a joke, ultra poor value, and very inflexible, - aka the narrow 2 to 3 hour, low cost charging window, in the middle of the night.

Appreciate domestic pricing, has gone through the roof, but as wholesale
prices have gradually reduced, i’d expect domestic pricing to reduce somewhat, by late summer, if it does not happen, the government will need to either force them, To reduce prices, or, re start energy credits & take a % of their profits, like they have done in the UK.

The smart meters are a joke, ultra poor value, and very inflexible,
I agree to an extent and I expected more from them and certainly Energia are not competitive currently.

But please show me a day/night plan that I can sign up to today that can beat the EI one I mentioned earlier?

Been holding off to see will there be any movement what with record profits

The hedging excuse is getting very lo9ng in the tooth now.

I agree to an extent and I expected more from them and certainly Energia are not competitive currently.

But please show me a day/night plan that I can sign up to today that can beat the EI one I mentioned earlier?
As i mentioned previously, it’s a waiting game, i expect reductions by the end of August.however, stay, Well away from
“Smart Plans”, once you sign up to
One, youre tied into “only smart
plans” indefinitely.

People can tend to be over anxious about leaving an electricity plan, its €50 to leave any plan, I was an an EI day/night plan, from May ‘22. They had a massive price increase announced in early September, and within an hour of hearing this, i had switched to Energia, €50Was nothing compared to what i have saved.
My average rate is under 20cent, between September and March, day rate is just under 30c, and night is 8.9 incl vat fixed for a year, its relatively easy to do 50 % on the night rate, with some habit changes. From Mid April this the average rate will be closer to 15c, as tempertures Improve.

When I last checked the smart rates (4 Feb)
This was the situation
EnergiaAirtricityElec IrelandBord Gais
Day52.6248.344.5147.88
Night28.1727.3523.3935.36
Peak57.5364.9247.4658.3
Night Boost12.6410.5512.65N/A
Boost Duration4hr3hr2hr

EI had the cheapest Night Rate 23.39
Airtricity had the cheapest Boost Rate 10.55
Energia had the longest Boost Duration 4 hours

You'd need a degree in Math to figure out your best option.

This was the best currently available Day/Night tariff, i could see, it is with Flogas, this is fixed for 1 year, but suitability, depends on your consumption, as has a high standing charge.

Has a reasonably compeditive Night rate, and this is for 9 hours per day.

Night Saver Meter​

INC.VATEX.VAT
Day Unit Rate (Fixed)Cent per kWh39.8536.56
Night Unit Rate (Fixed)Cent per kWh19.3117.72
Standing Charge (Fixed)Annual€396.89€364.12
PSO Levy (Variable)Annual€-97.12€-89.10
EAB (Variable)Estimated Annual Bill€1542.29€1414.95

You'd need a degree in Math to figure out your best option.
Did you not do addition and multiplication in primary school? :D A spreadsheet or the likes of Bonkers takes the work out of it.

Back