Electric Ireland End of Contract

discovery101

Hi there....my current contract is due to end soon where i was getting a 14 per cent discount, now they are only offering me 5 per cent and 100euro credit!! should i stick with them or shop around?? on bonkers.ie EI is still the best priced provider!!

Remember that such discounts are off the provider's own standard rates, which vary from provider to provider, so are not directly comparable. E.g. in this case a 15% discount with one provider may or may not be better value than a 14% discount with another.

Yeah i see SSEtricity are offering a 15% discount at the mo to switch!!
Always check the net rate being offered.

15% off their 48.2c rate is not as good as 5.5% off Electric Ireland's standard rates of 43.25c

Electric Ireland have consistently had the lowest standard rates and I think you can still get 10% off their rates via bonkers eve if you are a current customer

15% off their 48.2c rate is not as good as 5.5% off Electric Ireland's standard rates of 43.25c
Don't forget to check standing charges. EI are dearer than Energia last time I checked - 280 pa as oppose to 400 pa with EI

Ignore completely, the % discounts,a totally misleading,”hook”, only look at the actual rates- after discount. Ideally, switch to a day/night meter.

Get your annual “actual” usage, do the maths, and include the standing charge.

Ignore completely, the % discounts,a totally misleading,”hook”, only look at the actual rates- after discount. Ideally, switch to a day/night meter.

Get your annual “actual” usage, do the maths, and include the standing charge.
I'm not sure at the reasoning behind the "ignore discounts" advice? The best rates are normally found by signing up for a 12 month contract at a discount then switching to a new supplier when the contract is up.

Hi there....my current contract is due to end soon where i was getting a 14 per cent discount, now they are only offering me 5 per cent and 100euro credit!! should i stick with them or shop around?? on bonkers.ie EI is still the best priced provider!!
In my case a day/night smart meter tariff with EI offered me the best deal. I don't get home from work until 8pm or later so the worst case is three hours on the expensive day tariff before the half price night tariff kicks in at 11pm.

Last edited:
I would not do day and night rate with a smart meter if you are home most of the day or use a large amount of energy during peak hours. You may have an electric car and use more but you must do your research.

In my case a day/night smart meter tariff with EI offered me the best deal. I don't get home from work until 8pm or later so the worst case is three hours on the expensive day tariff before the half price night tariff kicks in at 11pm.
12 am night saver kicks in at Summer time to best of my knowledge. Are Electric Ireland still offering a €100 welcome credit?

I'm not sure at the reasoning behind the "ignore discounts" advice? The best rates are normally found by signing up for a 12 month contract at a discount then switching to a new supplier when the contract is up.
Discounts are relative to each providers' base rate.
Comparing them is useless.
Better to look at the actual unit rate (after any discounts) that you're going to pay.

If you are comfortable with haggling, might be worth ringing them and asking for your old deal back. I know people who have done this and EL restored their old contract with the 10% discount for another 12 months rather than lose them as a customer.

I always look here for a steer around the time my contract expires. Prices correct as of April 7th.

https://www.*****************.com/electricity-prices

I always look here for a steer around the time my contract expires. Prices correct as of April 7th.

I know the site that you're referring to but you're not allowed to link to it from here.

But anyway, it's not as good a guide to the market as others such as Bonkers, Switcher etc. It only seems to deal with standard rate tariffs and does not factor in discounts that are on offer.

I know the site that you're referring to but you're not allowed to link to it from here.

But anyway, it's not as good a guide to the market as others such as Bonkers, Switcher etc. It only seems to deal with standard rate tariffs and does not factor in discounts that are on offer.
As I say I use it for a steer. You are wasting your time with Bonkers & Switcher at the moment as they do not offer anything better than what suppliers are offering directly. Previously Bonkers would of had exclusive deals from time to time.

Obviously you run the risk of prices decreasing if you fix but this offer is a bit below market.
And if they drop a lot, you just terminate early, reducing that risk

"If You end the Customer Contract prior to the expiry of this fixed
contract period, You will pay Us the Exit Fee of 50 EURO Inc. VAT per fuel term ended."

Back