Electric Car Value Trade In. Please Help

I think the OP just bought at a bad time.

I think there's a bit of learning curve and mindset with driving an EV. You try to charge it between 20-80% and only to 100% at the start of long journey. On the journey you stop and top up just enough to get destination with a fast charge. You stay within the fast charge window. You don't charge to 80-100 because thats slow.

If people are moving around and end up in a cafe, museum or show or restaurant you might stick it on a nearby charger to get a top up. Things like that.

If you don't want any of that buy a diesel or petrol.

I think the OP has to make it work for a bit longer before giving up on it.

EVs range is more heavily affected by cold than petrol cars etc. For a variety of reasons. So the winter range is a lot less than summer range.

Petrol and diesel cars waste a lot of energy as heat. So hence heating doesn't effect range. Petrol and diesel is still more convenient for long distance driving.

EVs only suit certain types of use cases. They will work for long distance if you have destination charging and enough range to make minimal stops on route, and time to do it. Pros and cons to everything.
That's very true, it just shows you the energy density of petroleum compared to electric, even though energy is wasted in form of heat there is still loads of energy to power the car. Maybe more intensity into improving the energy efficiency of petroleum engines and reducing heat loss should be the way to go, not just switching to electric. I know there is a theoretical limit on how much energy can be converted to motion in petroleum engines due to laws of thermodynamics.

Maybe there should be a lot more focus on reducing the size of cars and making them lighter again should also be a priority. A study has showed that cars have been getting half a centimetre wider every year on average since 1990, now many of these suvs can't fit into normal parking spaces that were put in the 90s for alot smaller cars

Maybe there should be a lot more focus on reducing the size of cars and making them lighter again should also be a priority. A study has showed that cars have been getting half a centimetre wider every year on average since 1990, now many of these suvs can't fit into normal parking spaces that were put in the 90s for alot smaller cars
I do think the physical size of the population is increasing by more than half a centimetre, each year though :p

That's very true, it just shows you the energy density of petroleum compared to electric, even though energy is wasted in form of heat there is still loads of energy to power the car. Maybe more intensity into improving the energy efficiency of petroleum engines and reducing heat loss should be the way to go, not just switching to electric. I know there is a theoretical limit on how much energy can be converted to motion in petroleum engines due to laws of thermodynamics.

I don't think the problem we want to solve is to make the burning of fossil fuels more efficient. Focus on making the EV experience better. And driving less.

I don't think the problem we want to solve is to make the burning of fossil fuels more efficient. Focus on making the EV experience better. And driving less.
Speak for yourself.

Driving is great, both on its own terms and as a catalyst for prosperity.

They may have been a catalyst for prosperity but they are definitely over used hence the comment about driving less.

Speaking for myself and the rest of us that are affected by the over use . Feel free to start another thread to discuss further if needed.
Again that's a matter of opinion and there are others besides yours.

The burning of fossil fuels has become remarkably more efficient in recent decades and that has been, and continues to be, very good indeed for humanity.

Again that's a matter of opinion and there are others besides yours.

The burning of fossil fuels has become remarkably more efficient in recent decades and that has been, and continues to be, very good indeed for humanity.
Driving is great but it would be better if some/many of us would do less of it.
Burning fossil fuels has been great but ....etc.

Is this a winter journey? Always going to be hard on EV range. Put your car details into here and see what it says about winter motorway range.

I think car sales people have a lot to answer for and have given EVs a bad name. They just want to sell cars regardless if it's the right fit for the customer. They should set realistic expectations for any prospective buyer especially regarding range and resale value . They should tell buyers about the realistic range for the car in summer and winter and what to expect driving fast or slow. Imho EVs are not yet suitable for regular long journeys - finding a charger and waiting around is ok if you're not in a hurry but we're all in a hurry! Having a home charger is also essential.
My 2021 Nissan leaf (fully electric) will display a range of 265 KM on a warm summer's day and if I drive it 95km an hour , with no heat on, and no load, I will get close to that. In winter I'll be lucky to get 200km on a full charge.
Having said that I wouldn't change back to an ICE car - most EV owners would probably agree.

As for the depreciation, rule of thumb is 15% per annum and I would never expect to get the sales price back 3 months after taking delivery.
And the 15% rule of thumb would be based on the current, reduced new price as well

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate your time and advice.
It was really mis sold and the garage tried to fob us off in Galway when we came back to them. I don't think there any solicitors out there who would take it on. But a 33% drop in 3 months is beyond what is happening in the market.

I think car sales people have a lot to answer for and have given EVs a bad name. They just want to sell cars regardless if it's the right fit for the customer. They should set realistic expectations for any prospective buyer especially regarding range and resale value . They should tell buyers about the realistic range for the car in summer and winter and what to expect driving fast or slow. Imho EVs are not yet suitable for regular long journeys - finding a charger and waiting around is ok if you're not in a hurry but we're all in a hurry! Having a home charger is also essential.
My 2021 Nissan leaf (fully electric) will display a range of 265 KM on a warm summer's day and if I drive it 95km an hour , with no heat on, and no load, I will get close to that. In winter I'll be lucky to get 200km on a full charge.
Having said that I wouldn't change back to an ICE car - most EV owners would probably agree.
I agree. We were not fully informed by the salesman. However, we should have educated ourselves a bit better as well.

I agree. We were not fully informed by the salesman. However, we should have educated ourselves a bit better as well.
I agree that the sales people can be misleading. Wife bought a Nissan Leaf in 2021 with a quoted range of up to 280KM. On our first trip of 140km we left fully charged from home but had to turn off the motorway for a recharge with the battery at 13% long before reaching our destination. The first two chargers we located were out of order (another issue perhaps). The garage later advised that motorway driving has the effect of reducing the maximum range. We were not speeding. I would not recommend an EV for a one car family,. EVs are fine for a predictable short commute. For long distance travel, diesel remains king. I drive a diesel and the wife borrows it when travelling long distances.

I agree that the sales people can be misleading. Wife bought a Nissan Leaf in 2021 with a quoted range of up to 280KM. On our first trip of 140km we left fully charged from home but had to turn off the motorway for a recharge with the battery at 13% long before reaching our destination. The first two chargers we located were out of order (another issue perhaps). The garage later advised that motorway driving has the effect of reducing the maximum range. We were not speeding. I would not recommend an EV for a one car family,. EVs are fine for a predictable sgy = hort commute. For long distance travel, diesel remains king. I drive a diesel and the wife borrows it when travelling long distances.
I presume you know, that as a general rule of thumb, the most efficient speed is c.80kmph or 50mph in old money. If you had lived in the 1970/early 80s oil crises, you would remember that.

Kinentic energy, which propels you along the road has equation E=1/2 *m*V (sq), where m = mass and V = velocity

Hence it takes 4X more energy to propel you at 2X your speed...e.g. 100kmph compared to 50kmph (excluding any other sources of resistance e.g. drag).

I once went through a full tank 55L of petrol in a brand new Astra 1.6 driving from Munich to Dresden on the Autobahn (450km) - lesson learned.

I agree that the sales people can be misleading. Wife bought a Nissan Leaf in 2021 with a quoted range of up to 280KM. On our first trip of 140km we left fully charged from home but had to turn off the motorway for a recharge with the battery at 13% long before reaching our destination.
That's frustrating to hear. Even the longest range 62kWh Leaf would only barely manage 280km at motorway speeds, but my guess is you bought a 30kWh or 40kWh model?

I presume you know, that as a general rule of thumb, the most efficient speed is c.80kmph or 50mph in old money. If you had lived in the 1970/early 80s oil crises, you would remember that.

Kinentic energy, which propels you along the road has equation E=1/2 *m*V (sq), where m = mass and V = velocity

Hence it takes 4X more energy to propel you at 2X your speed...e.g. 100kmph compared to 50kmph (excluding any other sources of resistance e.g. drag).

I once went through a full tank 55L of petrol in a brand new Astra 1.6 driving from Munich to Dresden on the Autobahn (450km) - lesson learned.
Time has a value too... spending an extra hour of your finite life plodding along at 80km/h on a Cork Dublin motorway trip may work for some people...but again I doubt this is part of the glossy sales pitch.

Back