Electric Car Diary

Will all depend on how much you use the car. You might be better with a regular Day/Night rate unless your usage at the peak hours is relatively low.
Yeah

I think try to charge at work when I can, free at the mo, but only one charger

I may consider solar too to flatten the day rate a bit

Must water and feed the money tree again.

Reactions: Leo
Applied for the charger grant 2 weeks ago, no word yet.

How long does it take, to hear back?

Also

any recommendations on the best EV rate
Have a smart meter, not on a night rate or smart rate mind as the kwh rates look v expensive.
Tried Bonkers and the options are poor enough.

Still on a day rate only 30.34 c/kwh with 10% discount
Guessing this is going up soon :-(
grant is 6-8 weeks

best rate tends to be day night and charge at night but you cant get a regular day night on a smart meter.

grant is 6-8 weeks

best rate tends to be day night and charge at night but you cant get a regular day night on a smart meter.

I already have a smart meter but not on a smart plan. Do I have to get a day/night meter? I have solar Panels So cheaper Night Tate markes Sense but also Thought I needed the smart Meter For The solar Panels? Thank you.

I already have a smart meter but not on a smart plan. Do I have to get a day/night meter? I have solar Panels So cheaper Night Tate markes Sense but also Thought I needed the smart Meter For The solar Panels? Thank you.
to get a day night plan at the moment you need a day night meter, i dont know about solar panels sorry. There are people on boards.ie that are knowledgeable on the subject.

I don’t have solar panels, so others can better advise on that part, i do know that those solar users with a battery, often stay on the day/night rate meters, as they can use the much lower night rate, to charge the battery overnight, and then use the battery, to feed the house during the day, when Panels not generating enough, therefore avoiding those higher day time rates.(completely avoiding day rates, in some cases)

I got a day/night meter installed last May, as we have 2 EV’s and a heat pump, i switched mid contract with Electric Ireland, directly after the last Late August price increase. Moved to Energia on September 5th, who had a “fixed” rate(including vat) of :
day rate of 29.80 cent,
night rate of 8.6 cent
Its fixed for 12months.

It all depends on your mix of day and night usage, everyone is different, but we consistently vary between about 55% and 60 % night rate, so the overall average rate now, is under 20c(incl vat), which is significantly less that that most recent EI price increase.(well worth the €50 exit fee) We would only use washing machine, dryer and dishwasher on night rates, and all hot water is heated via heat pump on night rates also. Some behavioural and habit changes are needed, to best use the night rate.

Energia, have increased those rates a few times since, so was lucky to get in, at those rates.

For me, i ran the numbers on the smart meters, and they were horrendously bad value for my particular situation, and noticed they did offer very low rates in the middle of the night, but its very restrictive as it is limited to 2 to 3 hours per night, which means, you won’t be able to fully charge an EV in one charging session. The night meter rate is for a 9 hour duration, summer 12 to 9am, winter 11pm to 8am, every day of the year, and is perfect for EV charging, as it will deliver up to 63kw in one single charging session

Last edited:
You need a smart meter if you want to be paid for the excess energy you send to the grid.
Thanks Leo. So I won’t be able to avail
Of day/night rates on a non smart plan if I am selling back to the grid?

Thanks Leo. So I won’t be able to avail
Of day/night rates on a non smart plan if I am selling back to the grid?
The smart meter thing has been very poor
From my investigation Smart meter plans are more expensive
The fact you can't see data unless signed up to a smart plan is poor.

If one has a smart meter then the info is available on whether Solar export is part of the mix.

To my mind it should be possible to be on a standard rate / a day night rate and still be paid for micro generation.

You need a smart meter to be paid but may not have to be on a "smart plan". For example, there is no mention of this requirement in Bord Gais's T&Cs, though you have to sign up for a "microgen export plan", whatever that is.

@Slim. Just wondering after 12 months, what are your thoughts now on the ID4.
Love it with a few reservations, 1. Ride us too firm even on Eco setting, and 2. Lack of illumination for a/c and temperature control after dark, 3. Infotainment screen is very bright at night, 4. No 12v socket forward of boot area and, 5. The open area under the dashboard ahead of the centre console could be better utilised.

Can the ACC be set up to run at the speed limit + 5km/h for example?
You can set it for any speed but it will automatically slow down to speed limit when it passes the sign. You can override that at any time.

Back