Eircom talktime ..."most improved"?

The ever-shifting sands of Eircon rates..!

Shufty, glad to see you splitting hairs again! ;)

I noticed that that .pdf document is dated 18 March 2003 — nearly 18 months ago — so I decided to give them a ring (again!)

I wasn't making it up when I said I'd confirmed those rates I mentioned above; I'd actually checked on their online call calculator and taken the rates from — and verified same on 1901. But now, a few days later, that online call calculator gives rather different readouts — try it yourselves! So I rang 1901 again, asked to speak to a supervisor, told her that I was ringing on behalf of a business client and asked her to settle an argument we were having in the Finance Office regarding national call rates. She said she'd a "new sheet" on her desk as of this morning, and that the latest rates are as follows:

Call a national number (as in outside your local area) and pay
8.2c daytime
4.9c evening
1.26 weekends

But call the so-called "National rate" 0818 prefix, and you'll pay
7.7c daytime
5.1c evening
4.4c weekend

Go figure...:rolleyes

No wonder they don't dare list their tariffs in the 'phone book anymore. No wonder noone wants to buy their bloody shares (this time!). No wonder they've had to employ small armies of commission-only sharks, cold-calling and door-stepping gullible people in an attempt to "winback" [sic] some of the custom that's been haemorrhaging out of the company over the last year or two...

I'd love to see someone pull them up — under ASAI/Comreg regulations, maybe? — for all the conflicting (published) rates. As of now, both their online call calculator and their website rates sheet are inaccurate, each in different ways.

But then I suppose there are too many ex-ministerial cronies still on the board for something like that to happen..?

I swear, I'm going back to the pigeons!

Dr. M.

Its a Comreg issue the ASAI does not cover Eircom website

>I wasn't making it up when I said I'd confirmed those rates I mentioned above;

I believe you good Doctor . I really do :)

Comreg require Eircom to publish their full rate sheet as it is now , thats what I linked in my post . They should NEVER operate any other rates save on discount or bundle schemes but they give me a headache just reading them because they are designed to bamboozle and most people are not on them anyway .

If the 'real' rate is different to the published rate then Comreg will take a dim view of it as per all of the recent billing disasters that have befallen our major carriers. The real rate may be what the Biddy told you or it may be what is on the website, if we had a penny for every lie we'd been told by Eircom over the years then we would be rich would we not.

Contact [email protected] about the Eircom variance and the Telestunt misleading statement by email where they mixed up the national weekend rate and the 0818 weekend rate . Bobby is the Head of consumer stuff in Comreg

Re: Its a Comreg issue the ASAI does not cover Eircom websit

Wouldn't doubt you, shufty...;)
I've e-mailed the bould Bobby a link to this thread — hope that's not against AAM policy? I'm quite happy to be quoted on anything I've said above.

Dr. M.

Hi
I too have been down the 0818 charge route - this time with www.budgettelecom.ie who, surprise surprise are quoting the correct rates for 0818 which are 4.9c/min off peak/wkends & 8.17c/min peak. I confirmed this awhile ago with Eircom (requiring heart surgery after the amount of idiots in Eircom that didnt even know what 0818 was). On the UTV calls service, ive just signed up - and confirmed with them that an 0818 is a "non geographical number" and as such will be charged exactly the same as Eircom. So, apart from the 12 month minimum contract applicable with UTV - and you will be responsible for the years rental if you leave them - they beat Eircom Talktime hands down.

telestunt now using 1520 for irish mobiles

Just read this topic with interest and then noticed that Telestunt are now quoting a 1520 number for calls to irish mobiles. These calls cost 15cpm which is still cheaper on average than eircom although callers to Vodafone and to a lesser extent O2 could save money at the weekend by reverting to eircom.

telestunt.ie:
Ireland (fix) 1890 943 123 local rate *
Ireland (mob) 1520 932 601 15

eircom:
Vodafone (087) Mobile Phones
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Daytime &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 23.07c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Evening &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 19.46c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Weekend &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 11.57c
O2 (086) Mobile Phones &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Daytime &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 23.07c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Evening &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 17.66c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Weekend &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 13.95c
Meteor (085) Mobile Phones
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Daytime &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 29.19c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Evening &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 19.46c
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Weekend &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 15.23c

Re: telestunt now using 1520 for irish mobiles

...As long as your call charges are with Eircom.

See for what can happen with Euphony PCS — and I assume the same lark may arise with other providers...(?)

Dr. M.

Thanks to the good doctor I used telestunt quite a bit over the last few months, however lately every time I've tried to dial the 1520 number its either engaged or 'not there'. Could this be an Eircom ploy?

Perhaps. Although 'ploy' suggests some form of intelligence at work... :lol

Back