Eircom talktime ..."most improved"?

D

Dr Moriarty

Eircom talktime ..."most improved"?

Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone had any comments about the latest offering from the Eircon stable? I've a large family (including 2 teenage girls who just luuurve to chat!) and for the last couple of years have been rate-tarting furiously around the place, trying to keep the 'phone bill down without cutting off their dialling fingers...

I've tried Vartec, SmartTelecom and God knows who else; am based in Limerick and currently have the landline with Chorus (Pre-Carrier Selection) and all three mobiles with Meteor, which helps somewhat. But between their bills and Eircom's line rental I still reckon I'm forking out the price of a modest holiday package each year, just so's they can all "stay in touch" :/

Lately I've been trying out Telestunt.ie for the international & mobile calls, and it seems to work OK, apart from the odd time (their VOIP servers are obviously not up to handling high-volume usage...). Made a big long call to my sister in France last month, for 36c (+ VAT)! :)

But as the majority of our calls seem to be of the local, daytime, short-duration variety, I've been thinking of trying out the €29.99-monthly-fixed-charge-including-line-rental beast that is "Talktime"...

Up 'til now I've been paying the buggers €24 a month just for the length of copper, so I'm figuring that for the sake of an extra €6 a month I might as well cut out the Chorus bill (typically anywhere between €40 and, say, €140!) and see how it all pans out.

So — has anyone here tried it? Seen a bill yet? Had any pleasant (or nasty) surprises?

Jeez, what did we all do before we got "d'electric"...?!

Dr. M.

Euphony are now offering unlimited numbers of day, eve & weekend calls to local & national numbers for all calls up to 1 hour in duration each. This service costs €10 per mth inlc VAT.

The national calls are to the 32 counties so for €10 pm You can ring the north as often as You like - as long as each call is under 1 hr.

ninsaga

Dr. M, had the very desparate Eircom account manager at my door recently, trying to sell this, to be honest it looked like a good deal, but spitefully I stayed put with Esat, due to travel commitments and future irregular phone usage, but I might sniff them out again when I come back. I love chopping and changing to keep them on their toes, although they have yet to stand up in my opinion!!!

stobear, do you mean to say someone actually called to the door?!? Jeez, I thought it was bad enough when they kept calling us up on the 'phone... :rollin

I'm going to look closely at the last Chorus bill just to be sure about our average total minutes, but that Euphony deal certainly sounds tempting — thanks, ninsaga.

Looks like it might be a toss-up between
(a) going for the Talktime option, and hoping that the peak minutes don't prove a killer... (unlikely) or
(b) continuing with the Eircom line rental (€24 a month), plus the Euphony Talknow deal (€10 a month), plus continuing to use Telestunt as far as possible for the mobile and international calls.

Or maybe I should start promoting my own new customised telephony solution around our house. I could call it something catchy like "Shut-the-f***-up-and-get-off-the-phone!"... :D

Dr. M.

euphony is the pyramid scheme is it not ?

Rates

They still have a minimum charge of 6.35c per call and many of the free calls are to other euphony customers

as it is a pyramid scheme every existing customer has an interes in selling it on to new custoers (their friends) to get the free calls.

Re: euphony is the pyramid scheme is it not ?

Funny that, they seem to target me.....I told them chap to call back next month when I return, he signed, he told me he cant cos my name is on a rota and he wont be around these parts for another 3 months, I was nearly as disappointed as he was!!

Re: euphony is the pyramid scheme is it not ?

minimum charge of 6.35c per call and many of the free calls are to other euphony customers

Are you sure about that, Shufty? That rate card is for their Talk3000 package — but in the TalkNow presentation it doesn't say anything about the calls having to be to other Euphony customers, it just says "unlimited free landline to landline calls in Ireland at ANYTIME" (sic) — the only exclusion being "non-geographic" numbers like 08x, 18xx, 15xx, which are billed by Eircom. (I'd still use Telestunt for the mobile and international calls...) [broken link removed]'s the TalkNow rate card.

ninsaga, do actually use Euphony yourself?

Dr. M.

talk talk

Doc: almost the same symptoms as yourself. So bad I blocked all outgoing calls except local. And of course paid for the privlidge of that too. Used Vartec for majority of calls and did indeed whittle down costs quite substantially. However as with you I studied this latest offering from Eircom and decided to give it a go. I was advised by the eircom employee I was talking to on the phone to that my best bet was Package 1 (29.99 per month) but she was 'blind' to the Vartec charges which I was also paying so I for opted for Package 2. this includes rental, call a 'friend' for 'free' for (cant remember the number of minutes' and so many hours included in the package. If you exceed the package the calls are still cheaper. Willing to give it a go anyway. First bill with new charges has not arrived yet so I cannot judge just yet. I assume I will get details included with account which is due in mid August.

Re: talk talk

Thanks, Cuchulainn, let's compare notes a month or two down the line...(?)

In the end, I decided to go — provisionally! — with the Eircom rental + Euphony €10-a-month deal for unlimited local/national calls + Telestunt for mobiles & international — in fact, once the paperwork goes through, I'm going to block the DECT 'phone for direct-dial calls to mobiles, so that "they" have to go through the Telestunt prefix for those (I'll stick up a little note near the base unit in the hallway explaining the rationale in simple terms (and if they don't like it, they can kiss my "hairy yellow"...!)

That Eircom Talktime deal would have tempted me, too, except that I know, from scanning the bills, that my dear lady wife likes nothing better — once the kids have been dropped off to school — than having a good old natter with her cronies, usually between ten-ish and one-ish. ...And who could blame her..!?! 'Cept — when said cronies aren't at home — she doesn't think twice about dialling their 085, 086 or 087 numbers... I've more than once had single calls cost me over the €10 mark! (Aside to AAM's (sizeable) female readership: I'm not being misogynist here — just speaking from empirically verifiable experience...)

Voyons donc... I'm sure that if I'm in error about this in any respect, I'll be pulled up sharply — either by the denizens of this estimable discussion forum, or by my (slandered) wife. In either case... what's the Latin for Mea culpa, in advance...?

Sorry Shufty - but You need to check Your facts.

A free call is a free call - appears as €0.00 on the phone bill. This includes calls to ANY local or national number around the 32 counties 24/7.

You will be charged for the all if it exceeds 1hr in duration - other than that - €0.00.
Dr M - the Talk 3000 service is no longer being offered (only the first 10mins are free for each off peak loc/nat call)- the new service is called Talk Now - again where loc/natcalls up to 1hr anytime.

Details are here.....
[broken link removed]

ninsaga

Am in the process of swithing from Esat BT to Euphony for local and national calls.

Intend using Telestunt for mobile/international calls.

Anyone have a tel no for Telestunt or know what are their rates for calling mobiles from landline as I cannot seem to find either on their website and have not yet received a reply from an e-mail query to them.

Thanks

The pyramid aspect

Ninsaga, have you used this system yourself like the previous poster asked

Is there any obligation on you to sell it on pyramid wise to keep the package or is it 10 a month, do not exceed one hour and that is that, no other obligation.

Re: gaelic telecom

I have been a euphony customer for a couple of years now - prev on the Talk 3000 package. The TalkNow package was only introduced on July 1st.

There is no obligation on anyone to sell this on. As You ask...
"is it 10 a month, do not exceed one hour and that is that, no other obligation" Yes that is it. Remember though that the free calls are local & national only.

They also offer add on packages for calls to mobiles were You basically buy a set amount of minutes as You need them. More details on that on their web site though.

ninsaga

Euphony and Telestunt

Line Rental with Eircom.

Switching almost complete from Esat BT to Euphony for local and national Talk Now package.

My question is when I am up and running with Euphony
can I straight away proceed to use Telestunt for mobile and international calls and on whose bill Eircoms or
Euphony will Telestunt's charges appear.

Thanks

Re: Euphony and Telestunt

On the Eircom bill, Martin — 1890* and 0818** are their local rate/national rate numbers respectively, so even if you have PCS with another operator calls to those numbers will be billed by Eircom.

From the Telestunt site:

* Local rate: Sa-Su: 1.26 ct/min
Mo-Fr 6pm/8am: 1.26 ct/min
Mo-Fr 8am/6pm: 4.92 ct/min

** National rate: Sa-Su: 1.26 ct/min
Mo-Fr 6pm/8am: 4.92 ct/min
Mo-Fr 8am/6pm: 8.17 ct/min

Dr. M.

Euphony and Telestunt

Thanks Dr.

Euphony's rates to mobile are quite good for calls from landline compared to Eircom and Esat BT.

Euphony's are:
Calls to:
Vodaphone 16.18 Day 6.24 Ev 3.4 W/E
O2 14.37 11.25 2.02

I presume using Telestunt is cheaper. Can you confirm
their rates and what prefix would I use and again on whose account would calls to mobile appear - on Euphony's or Eircom's.

Thanks.

Re: Euphony and Telestunt

Martin,
Those Euphony rates you've posted for calling mobiles don't look right. Here is what they are....

Mobile Calls Peak Off Peak Weekend
Vodafone (087) 23.00 17.50 13.50
O2 (086) 23.00 17.00 13.25
Meteor (085) 28.00 17.50 13.50

Alternatively one can use one of the Flexi packages as follows....

No. of minutes & cost per month
Flexi100 €17
Flexi200 €31
Flexi400 €58
Flexi1000 €136

ninsaga

Euphony and Telestunt

Ninsaga,

Your correct. On checking again with euphony I am told now that the rates I was quoted for were in Sterling.
Thanks for the info.

Martin

Thanks for the euphony clarification.

The Telestunt rates for 0818 National Rate are incorrect

Should be
8.17 day
4.92 eve

and

4.92 WEEKEND

To ring Irish mobiles you use 0818 at all times.

8.2c day
5 c eves and weekends

No other costs involved or account setup required

Easily the best deal I know of.

Back