Eir - charging for email from 31 March

Get a desktop email client like Outlook and configure with the Eircom mail server specs here. Allow the client download all content from your Eircom account.

You will be able to set up multiple email accounts on the likes of Outlook, and can select the non-Eircom one to send all email from, even when replying to emails that were sent to the Eircom inbox.

That's fine for the current stuff but what about the historical ones in subfolders ?

You have to go into each email and forward it whether it's in your inbox or a subfolder.

You cannot forward multiple emails in one go.

A family member is going to be affected. I had migrated someone from eircom.net years ago so I need to dig out what I did then but...

Login to Eircom webmail and forward them to your gmail address.

This is fine but only to a point. Forwarding requires you to maintain the eircom.net account (so you have to pay). You get 60 days grace period after you stop paying then they close down the address and delete all contents. So as well as forwarding, I would set up auto replies (as well as going through history to get a list of people / organsations / websites where you need to change contact details (as well as point below)

However, a better option to forwarding is linking accounts (see below)

That's fine for the current stuff but what about the historical ones in subfolders ?

I need to check what I had done in the past. I thought (need to verify) that if you set up a gmail or similar account and then access the eircom.net account via the gmail app / service, that there was an option to import message history. It wouldn't import directory structures but at least with gmail you can find historic mails via the search functionality.

Also - if you go this route, you don't need to log back into eircom and you don't need to forward. You will see emails into eircom in your gmail app. And they will be identified as such. So you can use it as a reminder to actively go out to whoever sent the email and change contact details.

My dad has his eircom.net account since 1998 and has stubbornly resisted moving due to some ancient mailing lists he is on.

I sent him this and he is finally going to move.

My Road Tax renewal comes via an eircom email address.

I have no way of logging into motortax.ie to tell them to send me next year's renewal to me via the new email address.

Any ideas how to address this?

My Road Tax renewal comes via an eircom email address.

I have no way of logging into motortax.ie to tell them to send me next year's renewal to me via the new email address.

Any ideas how to address this?

That's worthy of a discussion thread of its own... The fact that the Motor Tax people can't be contacted by email, or live chat, is a joke!

Then again, I suppose its probably right up there with some other government services, when it comes to its staff not wanting to be disturbed, for fear that they may have to do some work etc. :mad:

Getting back to Eir,

How much are they proposing to charge?

I'm not with Eir, but I do pay an annual fee for my own email service. Granted, I could just use a Gmail account for free, but I like my email address, so have traditionally been willing to pay for it. It costs $20pa.

Contact details are obscured - presumably by accident - under a pop-up when I look at the website using Chrome.

You will see emails into eircom in your gmail app. And they will be identified as such. So you can use it as a reminder to actively go out to whoever sent the email and change contact details.

Yep, but note that will only work until they delete the account and contents on May 31st.

Yep, but note that will only work until they delete the account and contents on May 31st.

Yes - I should have made that clear.

A bit frustrating because in my experience it has taken 6 months or more to really migrate email accounts - still getting emails into old address months after. So I'm thinking we'll have to pay for 6 months of subscription just to migrate. I think the amount of notice they are giving isn't great.

I went through this when @ireland.com went away. It's annoying.

Yes - I should have made that clear.

Their own FAQ isn't great either!

A bit frustrating because in my experience it has taken 6 months or more to really migrate email accounts - still getting emails into old address months after. So I'm thinking we'll have to pay for 6 months of subscription just to migrate. I think the amount of notice they are giving isn't great.

Yeah, it is a pain alright, trying to remember everyone and everywhere who has it as your contact details. I guess an option is to register a personal domain/email account, but that's going to incur costs.

Back