Eir - charging for email from 31 March

Getting back to Eir,

How much are they proposing to charge?

I'm not with Eir, but I do pay an annual fee for my own email service. Granted, I could just use a Gmail account for free, but I like my email address, so have traditionally been willing to pay for it. It costs $20pa.
Who do you use ?

Eir to Gmail in bulk:

1.Setup your Eircom.net account in Outlook or whatever email client you prefer (you may already have this).
2.Setup your Gmail account in Outlook/other email client as well - instructions are online.

You should then be able to drag emails in bulk from one to the other, with the bonus that the sender information will be preserved (unlike if you forward the emails directly, they'll all appear to be from yourself). Emails moved into Gmail folders will automatically sync with the online version.

My Road Tax renewal comes via an eircom email address. I have no way of logging into motortax.ie to tell them to send me next year's renewal to me via the new email address. Any ideas how to address this?
It's not the only one. The MyGovID https://www.mygovid.ie/, which allows online access to a range of public services uses your e-mail address for access and no way of changing it. You can change your password and phone no but not the e-mail address. Pretty poor system design.

A 'supposed' handy way to get all your Emails from Eircom.net.

Move emails from one Gmail account to another
All you need to do to import your old mails and contacts is change a few settings in your new Gmail account. Please note that this appears to only work with a Gmail account - a Google Apps account (a Gmail account that doesn't use the @gmail.com address) may not have the same options.
import old mails gmail

This is what you need to do to move emails and messages from one Gmail account to another:
  1. Open your new Gmail account.
  2. Click on the gear icon in the top right and click on Settings.
  3. Click on Accounts and Import.
  4. Click on Import mail and contacts.
  5. In the pop-up window, enter your old email address, and click on Continue.
  6. Click on Continue on the next pop-up, and on the new pop-up window, sign-in to your old account.
  7. Click on Agree after signing in, and the second pop-up will close. On the next screen, level all the boxes (Import contacts, Import mail, Import new mail for the next 30 days) checked, and click on Start import.
complete import gmail

That's it, you're done. Gmail will start to import your old mails from the account, and it will also import all the contacts. The process is not instantaneous, and depending on how much mail is in there, it could take a little while. Now, spread the word to everyone to let them know about your new address, and for the next 30 days, all mails to your old address will continue to come to your new address. After that, you can bid farewell to the old address with all your contacts and mails safe and sound.

NB:- Haven't tried it yet, so not sure if it works.

Edit:- It Works! But only if you move everything into your Eircom inbox. Plus it also preserves the sender info.

Last edited:
Eir to Gmail in bulk:

1.Setup your Eircom.net account in Outlook or whatever email client you prefer (you may already have this).
2.Setup your Gmail account in Outlook/other email client as well - instructions are online.

You should then be able to drag emails in bulk from one to the other, with the bonus that the sender information will be preserved (unlike if you forward the emails directly, they'll all appear to be from yourself). Emails moved into Gmail folders will automatically sync with the online version.

You can also do this using Mozilla's free Thunderbird mail app and I've listed the steps here: https://support.google.com/a/thread/27645864?hl=en

Please note that to set up an eircom.net account in Thunderbird or Outlook you will find you need to use the IMAP server webmail.eir.ie which is not obvious.

Also, not sure about Outlook, but in Thunderbird to move eg sent emails you will need to "subscribe" to the sent eircom folder you want to transfer. It only pulls in the inbox by default.

I am concerned a lot of older users are going to get ripped off, as there are a lot of odd-looking $99 "apps" claiming to perfectly transfer from Zimbra, Eir's webmail, to Gmail. Let alone Eir's €5.99 charge...

Eir hasn't contacted me about their intention to charge me in 6 weeks time.
As a broadband customer they already have my bank details. Maybe they just intended adding the €5.99 and hoped I wouldn't notice.

Eir hasn't contacted me about their intention to charge me in 6 weeks time.

They have stated that the default position is to deactivate and later on delete accounts if the owner doesn't sign-up for the paid service.

Something similar happened a few years ago with the ireland.com email addresses.

Moderator, can you correct the date in the subject like to July 1st? Ta.

So I decided to keep my eircom.net email account for a while. Mainly because I used it a lot for a business that hasn't been operating since covid so when we get up and running again I think some of my contacts from that business will still use that email. So I've paid the €5.99 per month and this month the €10 .... I know you all think I'm crazy but there ya go. I have set up a gmail account and had moved all my emails to that but was just keen to keep old emails and possibly any new contacts from a particular group of clientele.

Anyway I recently noticed that the only emails in the eircom.net account are ones since 1st July 2021 - everything else is gone. So I rang eir today to be told (not very nicely) that there's nothing they can do about it as they don't store emails (for GDPR reasons) and it was my fault that all my emails are gone .... because I'm either receiving too many emails (not true as only get a few a week at this stage) or else my system crashed (didn't happen). Can't believe this is happening and really p****ed off with them. Have been looking on their webpage and they have a notice up that all dormant accounts will be deleted from 2nd July at the latest. I'd say they actually deleted my account in error but of course I have no proof of that.

I really thought they would be able to restore them. Has anyone any suggestions or know where I could complain to ... probably won't make a difference but it might make me feel better.

Thanks for reading.

Back