Editing .pdf files

MidlandsBase

Can anyone recommend a good application for amending .pdf files - as an alternative to Adobe's applications?

Thanks.

pdf to word can be downloaded for free - the results can be inconsistent though. If there are a lot of symbols or different fonts etc I think maybe the conversion is less successful.

Hi Caveat, the applications I am searching for are to edit an existing .pdf file rather than convert a word to .pdf format.

Hi Caveat, the applications I am searching for are to edit an existing .pdf file rather than convert a word to .pdf format.

...which is why the programme is called pdf to word

(i.e. convert an existing pdf file to a word file) ;)

I understand that -- but as you point out there are glitches with such applications which is why I wish to edit the .pdf file in its original state and not have to convert it to word and then back to .pdf.

You can use Illustrator (but this is also an Adobe application so may not be what you're looking for) to edit pdf files if that's any use! But sometimes you can run into font problems if fonts used in pdf are not installed on your system.

I work in graphics so this is what I use if I have to edit a pdf.

I understand that -- but as you point out there are glitches with such applications which is why I wish to edit the .pdf file in its original state and not have to convert it to word and then back to .pdf.

Ah OK - AFAIK Adobe (& similarly priced applications) have this requirement pretty much sewn up. I'm not aware of any true low cost or free .pdf editor.

I'm not aware of any true low cost or free .pdf editor.
There certainly are a few, can't name any of the ones I've ever used off the top of my head though (I have a vague memory of the producers of CutePDF [an excellent pdf writer] having an editor?? but I could be wrong). I remember last time I used one having to download a few before I got one that did the job.

If trying out some of the free downloads/trials, be careful to check whether it adds a stamp (watermark etc.) to the document (very common on the software).

Some are far better than others, so hopefully someone can make a recommendation on one. I usually have access to Adobe software, so only a very rare occasion when I've needed a "free" editor.

(I have a vague memory of the producers of CutePDF [an excellent pdf writer] having an editor?? but I could be wrong).

We have this - and yes, it's great as a writer (no watermarks etc and nice small files) but I don't think there is an editor though - not a free one anyway.

We have this - and yes, it's great as a writer (no watermarks etc and nice small files) but I don't think there is an editor though - not a free one anyway.
Possibly just the trial version I was thinking of... and probably one of the ones which includes a "trial" stamp.

This link may be of interest to the OP. At least one of the editor trials listed (the third) gives a fully functional version, with only a time limit on it's use (30 day trial).

There is a product called Nitro PDF which is a well established all round PDF pogramme that, although not free, is much cheaper than Adobe.

I use it in work and it generally does everything you would want. On the very odd occasion it doesn't recognise a pdf document sent to me as an attachment, I just use the adobe reader instead.

i spent a good time looking at alternative for adobe and was nearly go to fork out the money until i cam across nitro - epxress is basic enough but the up market versions is what you will need to editing

can highly recommend it, also they offer free 2 week trial which will give you an idea if it has the functionality you need

Back