Eddie Hobbs new Brendan Investments vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having invested in a German property syndicate through an accountancy firm I have a keen interest. Ross analysis is typically overblown. Most analysts agree that investment inflows into the commercial market in germany are growing. Des I believe is right. GS sold off half of a portfolio they'd bought to another buyer quite quickly which looks more like profit taking and shows good market liquidity imho.

While it is understandable that Hobbs has riled the writer I wouldn't put too much faith in Ross analysis. He confesses to no knowledge about continental property so I guess at least he is being honest if ignorant on the subject.

Having spent the weekend looking through the details, having been made aware of it belatedly on RTE1 radio adverts, and discussing it with a number of investment people both at home and abroad, it does seem like you're better off going to Shelbourne Park and sticking your cash on the number 4 dog.

Shane Ross has gone a little ott in condemning it, but how else to wake up the sheep who will flock to invest?

Interesting to see a number of 1st time posters who popped up - esp a once off who stuck in a link to Mr. Hobbs gamble.

Having invested in a German property syndicate through an accountancy firm I have a keen interest.

Refer - thank you for this. It's always useful to know where posters are coming from. Can I ask you if you have any connection to Brendan Investments?

Sorry, don't know what is Garradrimna, or Rumania (not being smart), or Russia other than I get there regularly. Croatia I live here, often happily.

I'm trying to figure if this in an unintelligent smart aside or a serious question, perhaps you could enlighten us Kaplan?

Almo
How's property in Croatia, Russia, Rumania or Garradrimna these days ?

It does seem like you're better off going to Shelbourne Park and sticking your cash on the number 4 dog.

Sheep who will flock to invest?

I'd put a two way on number four to increase the likelihood of a win :rolleyes: .

But seriously, where should persons who typically use investment companies and managed funds etc, put their monies these days other than say commodities etc. Property done right, provides excellent returns due to capital appreciation, rent flows and the ability to leverage that few other choices allow.

P.S. I'm no fan of the scheme but it is not fair to call persons to invest as sheep, many are more sophisticated.

Michael, unfortunately this is very similiar to the Cape Verde scheme, and anything that a celeb puts their name to. It is, admittedly, different to a footballer flogging paris of branded boots that then are suspected of injuring said players (I believe people hurt people, not boots). You have a man using his status as a manufactured celeb to flog off investments in a scheme that has more than a taste of pyramid about it. I hope to goodness I'm proved wrong, as you are right, it's not only sheep caught by the glamour and name, also investors who figure that the man must know something that the rest of us don't.

To each their own.

I'd put a two way on number four to increase the likelihood of a win :rolleyes: .

But seriously, where should persons who typically use investment companies and managed funds etc, put their monies these days other than say commodities etc. Property done right provides excellent returns due to capital appreciation, rent flows and the ability to leverage that few other choices allow.

P.S. I'm no fan of the scheme but it is not fair to call persons to invest as sheep, many are more sophisticated.

With the negative press this scheme is getting coupled with tighter personal liquidity, I wonder whether this scheme will ever get off the ground. If it doesn't, I guess those advertising costs are going to have to be carried by the promoters.

It reminds me of the time a farming company was doing a press launch for beef sausages, years ago through Sainsbury’s...on the day of the foot and mouth outbreak. That company failed to launch.......:eek:

I don't buy the SR line on Germany that's all and I think his analysis of costs adds nothing to what we've discussed. I don't see the scheme as some kind of con, far from it. I don't think that the costs are too far out of line with hedge funds and other geared investments and I would be cautious in suggesting that its promoters are profiteering or its investors misguided.

Ross did not make any analysis in relation to Germany. He merely cited an FT article.

By citing a negative article at a time of the liquidity crisis may have more to do with that crisis affecting GS rather than Germany as an investment location. If you search commercial property under the FT there are many of their articles with a completely different slant - esp. an open pull out paper of recent weeks. What he purports to me is a negative against Germany based on this article, which fails to get to the heart of GS motives of selling. Extract

"According to the FT, Goldman Sachs has put German property portfolios worth €3bn up for sale. The article signals that international property investors are exiting Germany. The upward trend in German property could be in reverse. Just in time for Eddie's entry".

I know it is a separate issue really but Ross is not credible. Last week he castigated the Irish equity sector for using CDF's but Ross himself is a director of several hedge funds that use CDF's and expose fund NAV to the potential for large losses by using derivatives and options. This week he is going on about leverage in property funds. I find him hard to take seriously but he is entertaining.

Is he pushing any of them refer on a b ig public scheme? Just asking as I don't know.

I don't buy the SR line on Germany that's all and I think his analysis of costs adds nothing to what we've discussed. I don't see the scheme as some kind of con, far from it. I don't think that the costs are too far out of line with hedge funds and other geared investments and I would be cautious in suggesting that its promoters are profiteering or its investors misguided.

It has a fee structure similar to hedge funds yet this vehicle is aimed at mom & pop not professional investors.
There are a wide range of public limited real estate companies and REITs quoted on European and UK exchanges. If you want much cheaper and less risky exposure to German property check out and deal through your stockbroker. It is scandalous that financial media (even Shane Ross who I respect) don't point out this simple fact.

Unfortunately with celebrity endorsement and media campaign a lot of inexperienced people are getting ripped off.

Thanks for the tip. I'm aware of ETF's and have invested in the EPRA eurozone ETF in the past. REIT's is of course another construction. BI however is much like an underlying ETF stock except it is unquoted so ETF's and REITS don't save costs by bundling either stocks or properties / developments. I have examined the claim that BI admin costs as a % of gross asset value is not out of quilter with quoted PLC's and, sorry to say it stacks up.

I've also read lots of research on Germany and the proposition is reasonably sound on foot of recovery there. I don't concern myself with mom and pops as you put it - they can read the risks and come to their own conclusion. I'm looking into the team a bit further at the moment. I'm trying to be balanced and not swayed by unsupported opinion to be frank.

Refer,

What has been the rate of return p.a. of the typical EPRA ETF (Eurozone) - launched I think 2000? This would give an indication to the Pan European market - generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back