ECB cuts interest rates by 0.5 points

ours has dropped too but we are a payment holiday now due to unpaid maternity leave. Plan is to overpay up to the amount we used to pay and then use built up money towards a future unpaid maternity leave period!

Great News is right. It's time for us all to try and spread good news. There are too many people spreading bad news. I am personally sick of negativity and George Lee and all these negative posts etc. What about the positives??? Lower fuel prices, lower food prices. Everything has been reduced in price. Now interest rate cuts.
OK it is bad in some cases but we have to cling onto what we can

Yes good news for tracker holders in particular. It will make it easier on those who have been unfortunate to have lost a job etc.

On the flip side I suppose we can expect to see reduced savings interest rates.

This is good news indeed in these severe times. With inflation dropping like a stone in the Euro region they should continue to go South for a while more as well. However there is a caveat, interest rates are this low for a reason & that is the huge recession that we have on our hands. You are seeing these huge cuts in a short period to try & inject money into the economy & avoid deflation. Typically in a boom interest rates will rise to avoid inflation.

So even though it seems like great news it is not necessarily so. I am sure that the many thousands losing their jobs everyday would prefer higher interest rates than being on the dole.

What one hand giveth the other taketh away !!

Has anyone heard yet if the EBS are passing on the cut to their variable rate customers?

Great news if they pass it on......PTSB said they wouldn't guarantee the next one (this one) after the last cut.

Great News is right. It's time for us all to try and spread good news. There are too many people spreading bad news. I am personally sick of negativity and George Lee and all these negative posts etc. What about the positives??? Lower fuel prices, lower food prices. Everything has been reduced in price. Now interest rate cuts.

Doesn't matter how cheap stuff is if you don't have a job. That is the reality for a lot of people.

Feel free to talk it up though, it has really benefited us for the last 10 years.

Our Mortgage will have dropped by around 400 since september, fantastic!

If you can afford to put even the latest rate cut against your mortgage you will see a dramatic decrease in the term. It could knock years off your mortgage.

I for one am taking the positives from this cut. Lower mortgage rates, lower fuel costs and lower food costs. That's all good.
I am sure the gov will come knocking soon to take it some way or another.

Good News if your in debt, Bad news if your a saver.
Oh and ...er....why have they reduced the rate, cos they know the ****es thats around the corner.

People are losing their jobs left right and centre. They don't give two hoots about interest rates coming down when they have no job. Lets spread good news and forget what is really going on in the real world, great idea.

Now is the time to refocus and move on i agree, BUT we should not forget what a mess we are currently in

If you don't want to hear what is going on then switch George off, your choice.

I am sure the gov will come knocking soon to take it some way or another.

They already have, wake up!!
Income levy, reduced tax benefits for medical and health insurance, airport tax etc

Doesn't matter how cheap stuff is if you don't have a job. That is the reality for a lot of people.

Feel free to talk it up though, it has really benefited us for the last 10 years.

You do know people on the dole have to keep paying their mortgage , so yes it does help people without a job.

Job or not, lower prices will help. Lower interest rates will help.
Feel free to talk it down though, that will really benefit us in the next 10 years!

The new rate is effective from Jan 21st - just for your info .

Change the tune Mr DT. Why be so bitter about people paying less each month for there mortgage. Funny you menction George Lee. A hero of yours????

Back