EBS Tracker for Site - Refused Tracker for top up for build.

Thebadger20

Hello All,

I’m not very good with forums so apologies if I posted this in the wrong place. I am looking for a small bit of advice please.

In 2006 I purchased a site. I opted for a tracker mortgage for this. In early 2008 I looked for the top up my mortgage to build. I was told that I was unable to top up my tracker and was forced to take out another mortgage on variable rate for the house. I am left with two mortgages for the one property. I did ask for a tracker on the top up and clearly remember receiving a phone call telling me we couldn’t get one and had to have two separate mortgages as they wouldn’t top up the tracker ( Site ) mortgage and I was unable to get a tracker on top up.

My question is, was this the norm back then? I really feel hard done by and have made attempts over the years to get clarity from EBS with no joy.

Hope someone can help with this.

Sounds ok to me. EBS didn't have to give you a tracker or allow you top up just because you already had one and you could of gone to another lender who still offered them.

Sounds ok to me. EBS didn't have to give you a tracker or allow you top up just because you already had one and you could of gone to another lender who still offered them.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't believe that they stopped issuing truckers until October 2008 and this was prior to that. Just seems unfair to me to end up with two mortgages. From taking with others also who bought a site and built it is not the norm.

Did mortgage 1 document state that you would also be funded for building the house on the site at a future undetermined point? If not, and I doubt it did, EBS did not have to offer a tracker on a second mortgage.

You need to read the terms of the original mortgage to see if there is anything re allowing a top up tracker, without it I don't think there's much to go on.

Did mortgage 1 document state that you would also be funded for building the house on the site

Very good point, and that would be your only claim to a tracker.

Unless a lender is contractually obliged to offer you a tracker, they have no obligation to do so.

If you were not happy with EBS, you could have gone to a different lender to get a tracker.

Brendan

Unless a lender is contractually obliged to offer you a tracker, they have no obligation to do so.

If you were not happy with EBS, you could have gone to a different lender to get a tracker.

Brendan

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I know you are a busy man!! We got a phone call about our site tracker two weeks ago as we were on the wrong rate and it got me thinking about this. I know lots of people may jump on the bandwagon re: tracker but we did fill out the application form, requesting a tracker for the top up to build our home and received a phone call saying we couldn't have one. This was before EBS stopped offering them. I had a friend an actuary who advised me to get a tracker so I know what I wanted.. Sure that's life..

Thanks again!!

There's no such official product as a "Top-Up". It may be called that in conversations but the actual loan will be a totally new loan. They may make it a 23 year and 2 months loan to make the end of term the same as the original loan. So any term, conditions, rates or special conditions of the initial loan do not automatically apply to any additional application, even for the same property

Brendan
There's no such official product as a "Top-Up". It may be called that in conversations but the actual loan will be a totally new loan. They may make it a 23 year and 2 months loan to make the end of term the same as the original loan. So any term, conditions, rates or special conditions of the initial loan do not automatically apply to any additional application, even for the same property
Thanks for the info, that may give piece of mind..

the badger20 - I think you have a case if you can prove you filled out the tracker application form and submmited it - and were refused one - you need to ask why - I would use this forum for research only - i would urge you to follow your instincts here not other peoples opinions on this - if you asked for a tracker and not given one you need to ask why - do a foi on all your info held with ebs(don't be surprised if lots s info is missing) - if you have a copy of the application form you filled out for the tracker and can prove you asked for one that would be gold - 2008 was the time ebs still had trackers available but were denying them to people.

the badger20 - I think you have a case if you can prove you filled out the tracker application form and submmited it - and were refused one - you need to ask why - I would use this forum for research only - i would urge you to follow your instincts here not other peoples opinions on this - if you asked for a tracker and not given one you need to ask why - do a foi on all your info held with ebs(don't be surprised if lots s info is missing) - if you have a copy of the application form you filled out for the tracker and can prove you asked for one that would be gold - 2008 was the time ebs still had trackers available but were denying them to people.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I will take your advice on this.

I'll update if I get anywhere..

I think you have a case if you can prove you filled out the tracker application form and submitted it

And so anyone who applied for a loan and was refused should now be able to claim compensation because they have now discovered that the bank in question was making loans to people?

An application is not a contract. A bank can refuse an application or grant it on whatever terms it likes.

If the borrower does not like the offere, they can go to a different lender.

Brendan

And so anyone who applied for a loan and was refused should now be able to claim compensation because they have now discovered that the bank in question was making loans to people?

An application is not a contract. A bank can refuse an application or grant it on whatever terms it likes.

If the borrower does not like the offere, they can go to a different lender.

Brendan
The Badger
- i asked for a tracker in 2008 - did not get one - had proof i asked - bank said sorry our mistake - got the tracker i had asked for (10 year later).

it would be also worth your while reading the extensive postings here on the EBS and the variable base rate that many people believe were tracker products.... until sometime in 2008 when it took on the characteristics of a variable rate which allowed the banks increase the rate and no longer follow the ecb rate has it had done .....also note all the ebs contracts people have don't have any definition for what a variable base rate actually is... ?

also the badger fyi a friend has a case with ebs now - who says they were told in july 2008 tracker was not available anymore --- turns out they were available until august 2008
so maybe you have a case ... its definitely worth doing some digging to find out... why could your second mortgage not have been a tracker in 2008 if you asked for it?

Top ups were nearly always separate loans that ran alongside the original mortgage for same term if under a certain amount, around 65k. Reason being that if they were done that way there was no need to go through full mtg legal work again and there was no legal costs. They were also issued at whatever the rate was at the time of app/drawdown and nothing to do with what rate the original loan was on.

If the loan required was bigger than the limit the bank had for uncomplicated top ups then a whole new mortgage was needed amalgamating the amount with the old mortgage which again would be at rates of that time and not the original mortgage.

Tops ups were a quicker easier way of getting extra money when people ran out of money to finish house or to do home improvements, just because they were two separate loans doesn't mean they cost any extra money over the term as opposed to amalgamating them as you were never going to get the original rate/terms on the new loan anyway so could in fact cost you more to get an amalgamated loan.

- i asked for a tracker in 2008 - did not get one - had proof i asked - bank said sorry our mistake - got the tracker i had asked for (10 year later).

With respect, I think you might be raising people's hopes here.

Your story seems far more complicated.

You appear to have been told at the time that you were on a tracker

following this re-issued loan offer being emailed to me i have an email from my broker as follows:

The ‘Tracker’ is a variable rate and is the best one available. The other variable rate option is 5.25%.

so as things went i had asked for and though i had been put on trackers for both mortgages.... but... it did not turn out that way

Brendan

With respect, I think you might be raising people's hopes here.

Your story seems far more complicated.

You appear to have been told at the time that you were on a tracker

following this re-issued loan offer being emailed to me i have an email from my broker as follows:

The ‘Tracker’ is a variable rate and is the best one available. The other variable rate option is 5.25%.

so as things went i had asked for and though i had been put on trackers for both mortgages.... but... it did not turn out that way

Brendan
I asked for a tracker - I had evidence of this - instead of being put on the tracker I had asked for I was put on a 'variable base rate' - (and yes with a lot of research and effort on my part on my part i.e. I could write a thesis on it at this point) - I was finally put on the tracker I had originally asked for - this is what it came down to in the end and nothing else

this is what it came down to in the end and nothing else

That is not what you say in your earlier post. There was a broker involved who told you that you were on a tracker at the time.

Can you not see how misleading it is to quote a small part of your experience? Others might think "Oh, I asked for it. They didn't give it to me. I didn't follow it up. haveanice day got it. So now I am entitled to it."

Back