Easter dues - Church - how much?

A very valid reason why the church tracks donations is that they can claim income tax back for donations over a certain point each year. This is similar to other charities to which people voluntarily give money.

The thing to do then is give to the church anonymously, every year (or how often you want ) then there will be no come back. This way one does not feel pressured, such as the envelope being left in the church for pick up with your name on it. If you dont attend church everyone knows because the envelope has not been collected. It's like the Mass cards, one priest would only accept a certain amount and nothing less. Then I came across a priest who would only accept a sealed envelope with no name on it, only the deceased, and what ever offering you could afford, be it a penny or a pound. I thought that was a much better way of doing things.
Agreed , the priest has to live and he does work, some down the country here now have two and three parishes to look after because of the shortage of priests. It's probably time that this money business got sorted out and people know where they stand. There seems to be a lot of bad feeling about this and the two should be separated. Have Mass but dont associate it with how much money you can pay, this puts people off.

Hi there, we pay for a family with one working adult €5.00 per week on Sunday and €50 to the Priests Collection eg. Christmas,Easter etc..
We also pay a 10 euro per month towards the upkeep of our church.People are always complaining about paying these collections but you never hear them complaining as they are buying their packet of fags of pint in the pub! I personally think it is not alot to pay over the year to the Church and our Priest.

Back