Easter dues - Church - how much?

pingpong

What does an average family (2+2 or 2+3) pay in the annual dues to the Church? I'd prefer to pay once annually as I cannot keep up with Easter autumn and Christmas dues. Is it 300-400 euros? More? Its a subject people don't like to discuss openly - in our small community anyway.

I give 50 euro for Christams/Easter and my Stations. Think this is up to whatever you can afford. could give more but don't!

I'm trying to become a little less self-righteous,but is it only me who thinks it's extremely arrogant that they blanket post the whole community,but also labelling each envelope with the address so they can trace what each house gave.
I'm not Catholic(though born into one!) & when you consider how much money the vatican has around the world,to me it's like giving money to Enron.Anybody who gives money should have their head examined!

I usually give €20-€25 at Christmas and Easter (single person household). My parish allows donations to be completely anonymous - you can fill out the card but there's no requirement to do so and no way to trace who gave what. That's been the case in most parishes I've lived in.

Edited to add that my parents usually give €30-€50 on behalf of themselves and the rest of the family, depending on how much they have available to give at the time.

I'm trying to become a little less self-righteous,but is it only me who thinks it's extremely arrogant that they blanket post the whole community,but also labelling each envelope with the address so they can trace what each house gave.

I don't think this happens in every parish. Even if the return envelope is blank ( as it is in my parish ) I think its important to include your address as it allows the Church to post back a receipt.
And whats wrong with the Church knowing how much or how little you give? Any club should knows it members names, addresses and how much fees they pay.
The point is, as a member, you pay how much you can afford. Not how much you think you should pay.

pingpong we put E35.00 in the envelope and don't need our heads examined yet.

extopia said:
A big zero from our house, I'm afraid.
Ditto, I'm afraid. The Church, AFAIK, is still the biggest (ergo richest) single property-owner on this island, after the State. I pay the State 42% income tax, at least part of which goes to meeting the difference between the €127 million 'sweet deal' indemnity negotiated by a certain former Minister - on his last day in office - and the real cost of compensating former victims of clerical child abuse.

I figure that's my dues paid up through 'til, oh, let's say 2046...? (3046?) :rolleyes:

[Edit: Sorry. Didn't mean to offend/inflict a personal rant on those who choose to financially support the Church. I'll shut up now...]

Hi Spatenman,
I'm trying to be restrained,but do you think that they should blanket post everyone.As for the accountancy practices,well transparency doesn't spring to mind(Enron does though!)
Also I think our income tax is massively subsidising the church when it comes to compensation for child abuse scandals.
So therefore I would thinks that some people's heads need examining
Apologies for the rant.

JohnnyBoy said:
I'm not Catholic(though born into one!) & when you consider how much money the vatican has around the world,to me it's like giving money to Enron.Anybody who gives money should have their head examined!
It's annoying that they post these envelopes in the doors of people who are not even members - like us. But then again it's as much or as little annoying as any other junk mail that comes through the letterbox.

Perhaps I should give then a 1000 Zloty note? ;)

I live in a parish where there is an envelope collection, which is collected at your door weekly. they also have a monthly envelope. and also 4 times a year dues envelope. and of course the plate on Sundays. But it took me a long while to cop on to the fact that they were recording what was received in the envelopes but not of course what went on the plate on Sunday. So now I still give the same, about €5 per week but now 80% is in the envelope and the balance on the plate. Used to send around this letter with how much you actually put in the envelope but now just state that the envelopes are recorded ( which to be fair they have to be) and if you want to check up to see that it is being recorded correctly just to pop round to the parish etc. Good Parish to be fair and they do have a lot of rough with the smooth. and I am not being 'smart' in saying that.

In case it's of any relevance ... the mass collections may be used for different purposes that the Easter Dues collections as far as I recall. Isn't one mass collection for the local parish and the other for the Share/diocesan collection?

The first plate collection on holy days of obligation, together with Easter and Christmas dues, is intended for submission to Diocesan central funds, from where "salaries" pensions, etc. are drawn down for clergy. The 2nd plate collection, generally known as the "Share" collection is also submitted to Diocesan central funds. It was originally instituted for the upkeep and expansion of parishes in the Diocese of Dublin, but now the brief has been expanded to include all administration costs of the Diocese. Incidentally, Dublin is the only diocese that has a "share" collection.

Does anyone remember the days when the priest used to read out from the pulpit the list of money's paid by the parishioners, starting with the highest ( town shopkeepers/ teacher) until he got to the lowest, who were then shamed up because they could not afford much but had to pay anyway. The priest lived in a good house and had a car, (and a housekeeper ) while other people went without. It's not something I'm likely to forget in a hurry.:(

Swallows said:
Does anyone remember the days when the priest used to read out from the pulpit the list of money's paid by the parishioners, starting with the highest ( town shopkeepers/ teacher) until he got to the lowest, who were then shamed up because they could not afford much but had to pay anyway. The priest lived in a good house and had a car, (and a housekeeper ) while other people went without. It's not something I'm likely to forget in a hurry.:(

I do as a child in the 80's. The priest we had talked about money ALL the time. Every sermon was like an economics lesson. ;)

pokerwidow said:
I do as a child in the 80's. The priest we had talked about money ALL the time. Every sermon was like an economics lesson. ;)

interesting name as such poker widow!!!

one good thing about apartment living.....you dont get the "drop in" from local friendly recruiting clergy!!

A friend told me of a priest in her area who anounced from the pulpit that when he was visiting, he would require tea in a china cup...none of this mug business!!

i dont personally go but i know people who used to go and give 5p per person in the plate, no envelope collection - and i ain't talking 5p when it was a lot of money! parish soon changed as a result to envelope colection! What country is it where you declare you allegiance to a particular religion and a tax type thing is taken from your wages on their behalf....or did i dream that one up??

sloggi said:
A friend told me of a priest in her area who anounced from the pulpit that when he was visiting, he would require tea in a china cup...none of this mug business!!
Sounds like one for snopes.com...

Good luck to the collectors, they are on a diminishing run.

Amazing how far they have fallen, really.

Swallows said:
The priest lived in a good house and had a car, (and a housekeeper ) while other people went without. It's not something I'm likely to forget in a hurry.:(

This day is long long gone.

The priest in our parish (considered quite an affluent part of Dublin) lives in a tiny bed sit. He does have a car. In fairness these are men who've studied for 7 years, its a job where overtime is not only necessary but expected and at the end of the day they dont have a family to go home to. In the same way I dont begrudge our local doctor a home, I dont begrudge our local priest a home.

I know the Church is one of the richest organisations out there. I wouldnt mind an audit on the vatican, but its not our local priests who are benefiting.

Back