Dunnes - New No Cash, CC or laser Refund Policy

I bought stuff in the recent 50% sale in the Tallaght (Square) branch and returned it to Blanchardstown a few days later - got my refund no problem.

Its great to be able to get stuff for a party or whatever + return it a few days or a week later.
By 'stuff' - do you mean beer (and returning the unused stuff) or a nice new outfit (and return the beer-stained, smoke-smelling outfit)?

By " stuff" I mean things excluding foodstuffs / drink. I was being a bit tongue in cheek - I do not think a shop should give a cash refund to people who take items ( eg clothes ) home and return them days or even weeks later ( when is the cut-off time period ? ). People have ample opportunity to try on clothes for example in shops, and examine them, and feel them, without taking them home + then returning them days or weeks later. If a shop does that, fine, I would not buy clothes from a shop like that. I like to buy "new" new.

I queried these very points with a manager recently and he said that they are only using this policy in their larger branches for the moment but may well introduce it to all branches in time.

The gift cards with the credit refund can be used for buying groceries.

Items bought in the larger branches with this policy can presently be returned to other stores (without this policy) for cash refund but only if they stock the particular items. Brands like Savida are quite often only stocked in the larger stores.

Its great to be able to get stuff for a party or whatever + return it a few days or a week later. Not fair on the shop or the customers of the shop though who do not know where it has been, its storage condititions or hygene etc.

I know Rabbit is kidding from further posts but my question is:

Do people here think this actually goes on? Its dishonest to both the shop and the customers who buy what are essentially second hand goods.

I discovered a policy in a nationwide shop chain (I'm unsure if I'm allowed to name it here) that allow the sales assistants to wear the clothes they sell during the day and afterwards put them back on the rails. I refuse to go into this chain now but perhaps naively thought this was just this particular chain?

I know Rabbit is kidding from further posts but my question is:

Do people here think this actually goes on? Its dishonest to both the shop and the customers who buy what are essentially second hand goods.

I discovered a policy in a nationwide shop chain (I'm unsure if I'm allowed to name it here) that allow the sales assistants to wear the clothes they sell during the day and afterwards put them back on the rails. I refuse to go into this chain now but perhaps naively thought this was just this particular chain?

This is revolting in the extreme but I would have no problem believing it to be the case. I know of certain stores that would provide clothing for a photoshoot/filming day for a presenter etc. and would then place the worn clothes back out on the rails. I know most people would wash clothes before wearing them anyway (sweaty people trying them on in fitting rooms etc) but I would prefer if the top/skirt etc I had just bought had not been worn for an extended period and then just been placed back on rails as if they were brand new. Such items should be sold at a reduced cost IMO.

I would think twice about shopping in Dunnes if this was brought in nationwide - I tend to shop in stores that have a fairly decent return policy as I detest fitting rooms and prefer to try on at home where I can see if said item does the job I hoped it would (eg go with that skirt or match that jacket etc). Not always easy to lug your own wardrobe round with you in the hopes you can compare it to the top you are thinking of buying to see if it goes with it, and as other posters have mentioned - fitting rooms are not good places to try to squeeze into if you have buggies/small children/low mobility etc.

During the 50% sale lately Dunnes in Donaghmede had the changing rooms closed and informed people to try them on at home and return them if they did not suit. This would be hassle for people as if the size was a small fit or even the hassle or returning them.

I would suggest it's a minority of idiots who have abused Dunnes' lenient policy that have ruined things for everyone else.

Regarding the people who think that returning worn items of clothing is widespread, I am reminded of the line.." the dishonest man thinks everyone a thief, and every bush an officer "
In order to get a refund do you not have to have the tags still attached, and the item in saleable condition?
My local Dunnes has the clothing & homewares inside the door facing the car park, and this is the door I use when shopping for my groceries. The store is designed like this so that I will stop & buy something. This suits me fine, I don't have to spend the morning trying on clothes. If I am unsure about something I know I will be able to return it. The gift card thing is probably ok unless it has an expiry date, but it seems mean on the part of Dunnes - do they think that once they give a cash refund to a customer, he or she will never spend money in the shop again? I don't like Dunnes trying to ensure my loyalty like this. I won't be so impulsive with my purchases in Dunnes in future.

Last edited:
This is revolting in the extreme but I would have no problem believing it to be the case. I know of certain stores that would provide clothing for a photoshoot/filming day for a presenter etc. and would then place the worn clothes back out on the rails. I know most people would wash clothes before wearing them anyway (sweaty people trying them on in fitting rooms etc) but I would prefer if the top/skirt etc I had just bought had not been worn for an extended period and then just been placed back on rails as if they were brand new

This is why i buy many of my clothes online. Clothes that have been tried on are second hand IMO. I like to get fresh clothes straight from the manufacturer.

This is why i buy many of my clothes online. Clothes that have been tried on are second hand IMO. I like to get fresh clothes straight from the manufacturer.
Are you certain that the online sellers don't have similar returns policies and/or photoshoot policies?

Marks & Sparks used to have an extremely open returns policy - as far as I can recall, you could return items for a full cash refund up to 6 months after buying it, if you simply said you weren't happy with the quality!

I was reminded of this when M&S were opening their Galway store & the local rag made comment about how many expat Irish used to buy a suit for a wedding or whatever on the Friday & return it on the Monday. The practice certainly wasn't exclusive to the Irish, mind!
Absolutely no doubt M&S knew it was going on, on a massive scale but seemed happy to take their chances that a majority would be so pleased with the quality of their goods, that they'd keep them. Or spill porter down them & HAVE to keep them!
But even M&S have tightened up their policy now, although I don't think you'd have any problem at all returning an item after a few days & getting a refund.

But even M&S have tightened up their policy now, although I don't think you'd have any problem at all returning an item after a few days & getting a refund.

Certainly not-I recently returned an (unworn) suit to M&S after a few days for a full refund. Ditto for Burton.

Dunnes has been going downhill for a while.

Their St. Stephen's Green and George's Street branches have out of date food on the shelves (for example, if you go in today and look in their vegetable section you will see the mangetouts are out of date) and their staff are incredibly unfriendly.

Does anyone know if it is policy in their stores to not help people pack their bags?

I mentioned this subject here already. I'm still convinced that they will revert back to the old system just like they did in the past when they tried out a new returns policy.

Whatever about putting the credit onto a gift card and allowing people to use same in the food section its dreadful to close off the fitting rooms when the 50% off (on certain items) sales are on.

The fact that Debenhams, M&S, Penneys, Argos etc. still maintain their 28/30 return policy will just put people off using Dunnes for clothes purchases.

Was I right or was I right, as usual :D

Heard yesterday in Dunnes that the new no refund policy has been scrapped! Hope this is true. Must have hit their pockets hard.

Back