Dunnes - New No Cash, CC or laser Refund Policy

W

weyhey

Just one to watch out for as briefly mentioned in a previous thread - The new Dunnes in Henry St, Dublin no longer give cash or credit/debit card refunds unless an item is faulty. They give a gift card instead.

I think The Square, Tallaght has also brought in the new policy too and the check out girl in Henry Street said other stores may be bringing it out too.

No more shopping in Dunnes for me. I hate changing rooms and only buy in shops where I can try clothes on at home and I know I can get a full refund if I don't like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
While this is a change for Dunnes they are not doing anything that is outside your consumer rights.

I mentioned this subject here already. I'm still convinced that they will revert back to the old system just like they did in the past when they tried out a new returns policy.

Whatever about putting the credit onto a gift card and allowing people to use same in the food section its dreadful to close off the fitting rooms when the 50% off (on certain items) sales are on.

The fact that Debenhams, M&S, Penneys, Argos etc. still maintain their 28/30 return policy will just put people off using Dunnes for clothes purchases.

Me too, I'm voting with my feet; I won't be shopping there anymore.

I have friends w. children with special needs and the only comfortable way they can shop for their children is to buy things and try them on at home and return anything that's not suitable.

I have friends w. children with special needs and the only comfortable way they can shop for their children is to buy things and try them on at home and return anything that's not suitable.
Would retailers maybe make special allowance for people with children in this position on individual request?

Its a bad move and makes them look like a lower class operation. This is not in their best interests.

The fact that Debenhams, M&S, Penneys, Argos etc. still maintain their 28/30 return policy will just put people off using Dunnes for clothes purchases.

Be careful about Debenhams - I bought a few dresses in their sale recently and I mentioned to the check out girl I was panic buying for a wedding I had got invited to at the last minute and would try them on at home.

I ended up choosing one dress and bringing back the others but was only then told on items reduced by 50% or more they don't do full refunds only exchanges or gift cards unless item is faulty. When I bought the items the check out girl never mentioned this to me so I was fuming!

Surely they didn't have a policy of refunding on food purchase unless the food was stale/problematic in some way? :eek:
Yes - that's what i was thinking but I was wondering have they removed our rights to return say, stale/outdated foods?
Would retailers maybe make special allowance for people with children in this position on individual request?
Is it fair that ppl with special needs children should be burdened with having to sort this out? - And what if their children aren't present? - Will the cashier/manager believe them?
Its a bad move and makes them look like a lower class operation. This is not in their best interests.
Could it be temporary thing? Maybe just a test to see if they can increase revenue and if not ditch the new policies?

s this legal?
if goods are faulty and you are within your warrenty period then you should get your money back. If you buy a dress with a fault in it clearly marked or buy something and think you can return it then tough, not customer friendly but legal.
We really miss Roches Stores now!

i brought a pair of shoes back to dunnes today (waterford) and got a full refund back on my laser card. no fault with them, they just weren't suitable when I got home. no questions asked why or anything, refund was processed as normal.

Is it fair that ppl with special needs children should be burdened with having to sort this out? - And what if their children aren't present? - Will the cashier/manager believe them?
That's a different discussion altogether but remember that a retailer only has a legal obligation to facilitate repairs/refunds/exchanges in the case of faulty goods so anything else is discretionary.

s this legal?
if goods are faulty and you are within your warrenty period then you should get your money back. If you buy a dress with a fault in it clearly marked or buy something and think you can return it then tough, not customer friendly but legal.
We really miss Roches Stores now!
Did you read the original post?
The new Dunnes in Henry St, Dublin no longer give cash or credit/debit card refunds unless an item is faulty.

As this policy only appears to operate in some larger branches one would have to wonder are they testing the policy? Surely if an organisation introduce a new policy they apply it to all stores unless its on a test basis only.

The new Dunnes in Henry St, Dublin no longer give cash or credit/debit card refunds unless an item is faulty. They give a gift card instead.

Good for them. Too many people were buying items ( after examining them in the shop ), using them once or twice + then returning them for a full refund.

I was in Dunnes Liffey Valley yesterday and asked if I could bring back the items for a full refund and was told yes as long as I had receipt & tags were present etc., - business as usual it would seem?

I would love to know if anyone has bought something in Henry St. or the Square and tried to return it to another branch for refund. Interesting to see their policy on this.

I bought stuff in the opening half price sale in Henry St. and returned it for cash in the Stephen's Green branch a few days later. The girl on the customer services desk did say that she wasn't sure if they were supposed to give me cash or a gift card but as they hadn't been told officially one way or the other she gave me the cash.

I have to say I will buy less from Dunnes if they introduce this policy. I buy things I am unsure about safe in the assumption I can bring it back if I don't like it when I get it home. If this policy stands I think I would be inclined to leave it rather than risk being stuck with a gift card.

I would love to know if anyone has bought something in Henry St. or the Square and tried to return it to another branch for refund. Interesting to see their policy on this.

Its great to be able to get stuff for a party or whatever + return it a few days or a week later. Not fair on the shop or the customers of the shop though who do not know where it has been, its storage condititions or hygene etc.

Back