Dublin to Letterkenny

Kramer

There was an old thread on this topic so I'm assuming there are different opinions 13 years later

I will be travelling on a Monday morning, leaving Sandyford area approx 7.30am, Google maps gives 3 different options
M1, N33, N2 & then A5 - 4hrs 17
M1, N1, A28 & then A5 - 4 hrs 22
M3, N3, A509, then N13 - 4 hrs 30

Which would anyone recommend for ease of driving i.e. most dual carraigeway best roads etc.

Thanks

Personally I always go the first route, M1, N33, N2 & then A5. The roads in the North are generally the worst for driving so I avoid the second route to minimise the amount of driving in the North. It's pretty mad that we still don't have any sign of a dual carriageway or motorway from Dublin to Derry.

I drove Letterkenny-Dublin regularly for years.

M1, N33, N2, A5 is quickest and has best roads.

4+ hours seems long. I drive at the limit and usually took me 3-3.5, even at rush hour, but go with Google.

Another vote for M1 route.

Monday morning traffic can be heavy, so try and leave a little earlier, get across the M50, and on to the M1, then pull in somewhere for a coffee, or breakfast

Living in Donegal, my preferred route is M1, Monaghan, Omagh, Strabane, Letterkenny. Stop at Circle K just as you leave Monaghan, not Aughnacloy.

I drove Letterkenny-Dublin regularly for years.

M1, N33, N2, A5 is quickest and has best roads.

4+ hours seems long. I drive at the limit and usually took me 3-3.5, even at rush hour, but go with Google.
Just realised I had the wrong starting point when taking the times!

Thanks to all for the input, sounds like M1, N33, N2 & then A5 is the way to go

Be aware that due to roadworks starting on 13th September, the speed limit on the N33 (Ardee link road) will be reduced to 60kph.

If you wanted to stay in the "Free State" the Sligo route is a good option especially with the extra dual carriageway section now open.

Certainly it's the route with the best roads.

Back